Questions from a Beginner... What is DLL?

ABBIBNevin

New Metal Member
Jan 27, 2011
So just yesterday I got my software downloaded from Line 6's website and began messing with some of their guitar tones, and they sound terrible. A friend recommended Lepou for some really nice metal tones. When I downloaded LeCab 2.0, it was just a notepad file (DLL) with a bunch of gibberish. If it's an application extension, what program am I supposed to be running to use it?

For what it's worth, here's what I'm currently using:

Line 6 TonePort DI-Silver
Gearbox for amp sims
Mixcraft 4 for my DAW

Also I play and plan to record everything (bass, guitar, vocals, keys, and program drums), I just wanted to start with some good guitar tones. I'm looking to record deathcore (see my band for reference).

If anyone can recommend some good amp sims or even a DAW that would be better than Mixcraft, let me know. Also a program that's good with sound replacing for drums would be nice. Free of course, to try some stuff out before I really get into it (planning to attend an institute for audio engineering this spring).

So like I said today is basically my first day of teaching myself music production, any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.

It's a VST plugin for windows. You should put it in the folder where all your other VSTs for your host are stored.
You can use the plugin with pretty much every DAW, if you're on windows.

"VST"s are digital effects in your DAW, like an EQ, compressors, delay, distortion.. or a amp sim like PODfarm or LePou.
LeCab is just a guitar cabinet simulation if I remember right, you should download one of his amp sims, too.

You should put it in the folder where all your other VSTs for your host are stored.

Does this mean I should copy&paste "Poulin_Lecab2.dll" under something in my Line6 folder? Specifically something like Line6 > Gearbox > data > Factory > Preset ? That is where all my guitar & bass tones appear to be.

Or Line6 > Gearbox > data > Lib has two random dll files in there already, does it go there?

I tried both already but nothing seemed to work... then again, I don't know what would happen if it DID work. I'm assuming I could bring up LeCab after I'm already in Gearbox.

Nah, you should drag it into the vst folder of your DAW (Mixcraft). Gearbox is just the stand-alone amp sim that comes with your Line6 interface.
I don't know Mixcraft so I have no idea where to put it exactly, but you can most probably find out by reading the manual ;)

After placing LeCab in the right place, you will be able to open it as a plugin (sometimes also called "insert" or "effect" in the DAW).

Alright once I clicked on the link for VST and saw what the hosts were, I knew it'd have to be associated with Mixcraft. I just originally thought that since Gearbox was providing sims, and so is LeCab, they'd go together haha.

Thanks!

to get any good metal tones worth recording you should probably buy the metal add-on pack for 25 dollars...cali treadplate is way better than the treadplate they give you with pod farm

^^yes get the metal pack
Also idk about using mixcraft to record but to each their own :D
Mixcraft seems more suited for midi loops etc. In my experience

@iambillylange: Hi man, you can edit your posts, the "edit" button is on the bottom right of your post.
So there's no need to post again and again if you left something out / have to correct something ;)

hahaha thanks Danlights....just trying to have some fun

all kidding aside i seriously didnt know about the edit button and have no problem admitting when im wrong...just have to do it a funny way
so thanks jipchen