Questions regarding interning and career moves

Mooseman0389

New Metal Member
Jun 26, 2011
Durham, NC
www.facebook.com
Hey guys. I would love a little bit of advice if you don't mind.

So. I'm 25. Not using my college degree, and trying to pay it off. I've been interning at a studio about 30 minutes away from where I live for 3 months. In that 3 months I've learned a ton and am incredibly thankful for the experience. But.... It's the owner and his assistant and that's pretty much it. There isn't really an open position for me to take there. I can bring clients to record there (which is rad), but I don't see a full time job in my future. I currently also work full time at a restaurant at night/weekends for $$ and basically have no days off. It's wearing on me. o_O

Is it time to move on? Should I be going to clubs and trying to record bands on my own at home? I just feel like if I don't start going and doing it by myself it's never gonna happen... But that could just be stress.

Any advice or similar experiences out there?

Thanks in advance.

Where are you interning? I moved from Durham 6 months ago. What is your degree actually in? The bottom line is that even the guys I know doing well in that area as engineers have to work constantly to maintain a good living.

Disclaimer in that I have no formal experience working at a studio, but generally speaking and from my own experience, internships should either be (a) something that ultimately leads to a job with the place you're interning for, or (b) acquiring experience at multiple places to bolster your portfolio for eventually getting a job elsewhere, with each internship lasting anywhere from 3-6 months or so. Terminal internships are not going to get you anywhere. Whether you end up doing something unrelated or go back to school or whatever, that's just a general rule that I think will help you, because otherwise you're just free labor, which isn't doing you any good.

I was a social sciences student, but that's how I (and my peers) operated, basically, and that extended to situations in which people had to keep taking internships after graduating if they couldn't get a job out of the gate.

Where are you interning? I moved from Durham 6 months ago. What is your degree actually in? The bottom line is that even the guys I know doing well in that area as engineers have to work constantly to maintain a good living.

I majored in Psych for my undergrad... and I have zero interest in going to graduate school for it. Maybe engineering, but not psych. And I'm interning at Hemispheres Recording. It's a great place and the guys are awesome. Just hitting one of those existential crisis moments haha

Oh cool so you're working with James and Jonny? I've known Jonny for a long time and met James a few times. Anyway, I know what you're saying. That's an interesting spot (amazing gear) and James has done an amazing job carving a niche for himself. What I'd say is that you need to soul search on what you really want to do. I did FOH and A/V stuff while doing studio work on the side for a long time. Last year I worked at Sound Pure for a year as an engineer but it wasn't full time for most of that. I imagine you're running into a similar issue I did, where even with a deep discount it's difficult to pay the studio and yourself with bands off of the street. I did a lot of hybrid work between home and studios and that worked out ok. On the other hand there are guys who manage to get things really cooking in NC like Kyle Odell and Jamie King (and of course Lugo). The bottom line though is that recording can be amazing but it is by no means an easy career choice in terms of stability or work hours. You have to decide whether you're willing to go all in or not. If you are I'd keep doing the hemisphere thing and start trying to work from home as well.

Full time studio jobs are a rare, rare breed these days, since most studios simply can't afford or justify financially hiring anyone. Considering you can bring clients there (assuming it's for a discounted lockout rate), you're already in the position the vast majority of full-time professionals are in as well, so start getting 'em bands in there :)

Oh cool so you're working with James and Jonny? I've known Jonny for a long time and met James a few times. Anyway, I know what you're saying. That's an interesting spot (amazing gear) and James has done an amazing job carving a niche for himself. What I'd say is that you need to soul search on what you really want to do. I did FOH and A/V stuff while doing studio work on the side for a long time. Last year I worked at Sound Pure for a year as an engineer but it wasn't full time for most of that. I imagine you're running into a similar issue I did, where even with a deep discount it's difficult to pay the studio and yourself with bands off of the street. I did a lot of hybrid work between home and studios and that worked out ok. On the other hand there are guys who manage to get things really cooking in NC like Kyle Odell and Jamie King (and of course Lugo). The bottom line though is that recording can be amazing but it is by no means an easy career choice in terms of stability or work hours. You have to decide whether you're willing to go all in or not. If you are I'd keep doing the hemisphere thing and start trying to work from home as well.

Yea Egan. James and Johnny are awesome guys. They've taught me so much. I know for a fact that all I want to do is record and mix. I guess I just need to figure out the best way to do it. Either way thanks all for your words everyone.

I can bring clients to record there (which is rad)

Having access to a studio already gives you an advantage. What are you waiting on?

but I don't see a full time job in my future.
I currently also work full time at a restaurant at night/weekends for $$ and basically have no days off. It's wearing on me.

Welcome to the audio industry!
I am on 5-6 different payrolls and have worked almost every day this year until June, which had maybe 4-5 audio gigs for me, so I work at an auto shop and fix music gear for folks. Just picked up another job that has me out of town for a month. if you wanna eat, you can't stop and smell the roses.

Having access to a studio already gives you an advantage. What are you waiting on?

Welcome to the audio industry!
I am on 5-6 different payrolls and have worked almost every day this year until June, which had maybe 4-5 audio gigs for me, so I work at an auto shop and fix music gear for folks. Just picked up another job that has me out of town for a month. if you wanna eat, you can't stop and smell the roses.

No doubt on both accounts. And just to specify, I wasn't bitchin' about the amount of work per say. Just the type. I'd rather spend all night editing guitars instead of serving steak ;)