Quick/beginner/stupid questions go here

I don't think he was talking only about the lyrics. The answer he wants is IMO that Anssi Kippo produced SW and HB and that Alexi wrote everything except some songs' lyrics (like SNBN) and that sometimes we wrote the music with band members' help (like BOR which he wrote with Alexander Kuoppala).

does he also write drum parts and key solos?

Why should they? Children of Bodom = Alexi
He probably write the complete music except bass and drums. I don't think that he will tell Henkka what he should play when it's clear that all he must do is just write a bass line under the existing song. Same with Jaska. Maybe he asks him if he could do some fillers or some babooms here 'n there.

Alexi says He messes with his 4 track at home and then goes to the rehearsal place with the band and they jam out over it
he talks about it in This interview .

Last edited by a moderator:
ON THE SOLOS TOPIC:

No, Alexi doesn't tell Janne what to play. Of course he does show him dual solos that he has written and both have to play alike and such, but Janne's solo spots are all on Janne afaik.

Why should they? Children of Bodom = Alexi
He probably write the complete music except bass and drums. I don't think that he will tell Henkka what he should play when it's clear that all he must do is just write a bass line under the existing song. Same with Jaska. Maybe he asks him if he could do some fillers or some babooms here 'n there.

Yep, he's said many times that he writes the song and sometimes tells Jaska to do one particular fill because he thinks it fits best or he just likes it, but that most of the time he's open to ideas and to what they want to bring into his song.

^Once you have written the music for the guitar,you got the music for the bass...

Nope. You have some basics (you're not gonna be writing completely different notes and modes and all in both), but no way is it written. A bass that it's exactly the same as the guitars it's fucking boring. Handy but boring.

I think that I've read in an interview with Alexi and Zarok that Alexi said that he also write the solos for Janne. I'm not sure if it's just a basic idea for the solos where Janne build on but I'm pretty sure that Alexi said this in an interview

Found this yesterday. It's a bit older (and I guess it's flosting around somewhere in the interviews thread), but it's still somewhat realted to the issue:

Karma: How has your song writing changed since the Something Wild days?

Henkka: Probably it has changed more as in a democratic way within the band. Alexi has all of the main ideas but as a band, we can structure them and we can split them in different parts and do it together. With Something Wild, it was pretty much Alexi who completed the songs, and then he showed them to us. Nowadays its different, we can all share our experiences and put our own stuff in there too.

the whole interview can be found here:
henkka.html

Nope. You have some basics (you're not gonna be writing completely different notes and modes and all in both), but no way is it written. A bass that it's exactly the same as the guitars it's fucking boring. Handy but boring.

I'm not saying that,i just wanted to tell you that once you have the guitar part,writing the bass aprt is relatively easy...at least you have something you can follow...

I think that I've read in an interview with Alexi and Zarok that Alexi said that he also write the solos for Janne. I'm not sure if it's just a basic idea for the solos where Janne build on but I'm pretty sure that Alexi said this in an interview

I read that too, but I'm sure he explained it wrong. There's no way Laiho could play some of those keyboard solos... I think he means the duel solos?