Quick question about gang vox processing

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
This may be a stupid question...

Ok so I'm working on a couple of bands with quite a few gang vocal parts. The sessions have become really buggy because of the amount of tracks and all the the fx so I wanna lighten up the session.

My usual workflow with gang vocals is to bus them all out to one track and them from there I set up separate sends for things like doublers, separate eq's among other fx

If I "consolidate/render/bounce/whatever you call it" all the unprocessed gang vox into a single stereo track...I won't lose anything, right? It will be the same thing as having all the separate takes going to that main bus.

Simply put - yes :)

I like to consolidate such things. Choir or gang tracks goes to just one stereo track. It's not that vital to be processed individually, so i'll be applying processing to stereo bounce (though eq cuts and so on should be more brutal than individual processing.. thats what i have noticed)

My workflow is way different. I start a new project for the gang section. If it's only like 3 people, just record in tempo over and over, cut and place on new track. you can have like 16 tracks all panned across the spectrum and bus them all to an EQ, comp, verb, or whatever the hell you use for vox. Bounce, import to song.

Boom, gang vocals.

My workflow is way different. I start a new project for the gang section. If it's only like 3 people, just record in tempo over and over, cut and place on new track. you can have like 16 tracks all panned across the spectrum and bus them all to an EQ, comp, verb, or whatever the hell you use for vox. Bounce, import to song.

Boom, gang vocals.

Well that seems to be a bit unnecessary? Just record in the same session, do atleast 8 takes, edit them up and then pan them. Bounce if you like.

Thing is, Reaper lets me use tabs. If I don't want it to get all cluttered, I can keep a loop going in my other project and just record in another. then do my initial edits and copy/paste onto an empty track.

I personally avoid setting up another project as much as possible. During this last mixing I've been doing the guys gave me 4 separate sessions (dr, bg, gtr, vox) which I had to combine. I hated it!

[/quote]My workflow is way different. I start a new project for the gang section. If it's only like 3 people, just record in tempo over and over, cut and place on new track. you can have like 16 tracks all panned across the spectrum and bus them all to an EQ, comp, verb, or whatever the hell you use for vox. Bounce, import to song.

Boom, gang vocals.[/quote]

That is such a great idea. thanks for that im totally going to try it next time.

Boom, gang vocals.

That is such a great way of doing it. I am trying that next time, thanks man.

I personally avoid setting up another project as much as possible. During this last mixing I've been doing the guys gave me 4 separate sessions (dr, bg, gtr, vox) which I had to combine. I hated it!

Couldn't you just have imported the session data into a new session? It would only take about 2 minutes and all the assets would be copied as well.

That is such a great way of doing it. I am trying that next time, thanks man.

Hey thanks. It really comes in handy when it's just you and you need gang vox. instead of hitting record a million times, you can just do it in tempo a few times and pan yourself all over. Get creative.