"Rain" guitar tabs

Hey guys, have you ever thought about an open tuning (maybe only in some song) à la Dire Straits?
That would be kind of intersting, for you know there are even more possibilities that with the (btw already "wider" than standard tuning) drop..

Hey guys, have you ever thought about an open tuning (maybe only in some song) à la Dire Straits?
That would be kind of intersting, for you know there are even more possibilities that with the (btw already "wider" than standard tuning) drop..

I often mess around with alternate tunings, including open tunings. Actually one song of ours that uses a very unique form of open tuning is "If Forever" from the "To Welcome The Fade" cd. Sometimes doing alternate tunings can produce some interesting results.

One main reason though why we don't experiment with that more often is practicality in terms of playing the songs live. It becomes too difficult having to bring multiple guitars on the road just to have them in different tunings for a song or two, and it takes up too much time to have to completely re-tune a guitar during the show itself. We had to deal with that a bit during the acoustic show in Antwerp, because we had at least three different tunings necessary, and I hated taking so much time between songs. If we could afford a real road crew and backline techs maybe it'd be different! :lol:

I often mess around with alternate tunings, including open tunings. Actually one song of ours that uses a very unique form of open tuning is "If Forever" from the "To Welcome The Fade" cd. Sometimes doing alternate tunings can produce some interesting results.

One main reason though why we don't experiment with that more often is practicality in terms of playing the songs live. It becomes too difficult having to bring multiple guitars on the road just to have them in different tunings for a song or two, and it takes up too much time to have to completely re-tune a guitar during the show itself. We had to deal with that a bit during the acoustic show in Antwerp, because we had at least three different tunings necessary, and I hated taking so much time between songs. If we could afford a real road crew and backline techs maybe it'd be different! :lol:

:lol: that's a really consistent reason.

But it's a pity!

Paul can wear Speedo's for fucks sake if it means you get your ass back to writing more songs so you guys can get out and play some live gigs again.....

With love,
Jasonic

Oh wow I forgot I posted this here till i went and tried to play the song again. Seriously thanks a bunch, I didn't really want to bother Larry, nor did I think he himself would help me out, but thanks a bunch, I was fairly close but again I couldn't really hear what was being played over the top of the intro well enough to get it exact. I won't even ask about the solo to novella reservoir haha, I know you have things to do and I can probably figure it out myself with enough time. But really thanks again.

By the way I love your tuning.

Oh and yes actually the chorus was incredibly hard to decipher, I was wrong, but it sounded ok. Haha god that's a fun song to play.

No, I don't think Vito wears thongs, but he does live in his ND sweatshirt. lol

Amy-selic, you're quite welcome, and yes it is alot of fun to play that song. One of my favorites, actually. Playing some of the little subtle bits cleanly is actually trickier than it might seem to people.

If I have time, I might tab out that guitar solo to "..Novella..". It's not very difficult to play really but again it's kind of fun to play (and I guess having fun ultimately is the point right?)

If I have time, I might tab out that guitar solo to "..Novella..". It's not very difficult to play really but again it's kind of fun to play (and I guess having fun ultimately is the point right?)

Yes, it's my favorite ND solo. :D Or one of them at least.

You guys are one of the only bands I actually like the solos in. Always thoughtful instead of just being there to wank.

No, I don't think Vito wears thongs, but he does live in his ND sweatshirt. lol

Amy-selic, you're quite welcome, and yes it is alot of fun to play that song. One of my favorites, actually. Playing some of the little subtle bits cleanly is actually trickier than it might seem to people.

That it is! You're way too nice :) and I appreciate this kind of support for fans, you guys seem to interact more than any other band I'm a fan of. Ass kissing aside(or maybe not), I'm actually not a solo fan at all, in fact most of the time I hate them, and don't bother with them, but that solo for Novella has a ton of soul and emotion, and that's why i was going to try to figure it out. As someone earlier said, the solos that are there merely to wank are so irritating. Don't take this at all as an insult, but the simpler approach to riffing that you guys use is one of the reasons ND is a favorite of mine. There's no need for anything overly flashy, and again i'm not saying simple as in "amateur" or anything to do with individual skill, since you're a much better guitarist than I am, but I think you know what I mean.

rant aside, what i found a little bit tricky with playing rain, was timing the chorus chords with the two open notes on the C and the G. The "clean" interlude surprised me as well, since I also thought that was a keyboard, but sure enough it isn't.

Thanks for the nice words! :)

Well, I don't say this to sound big-headed or anything, but the truth is, alot of times when people think that our music is very simple, there's alot of little inflections and things that are trickier than they realise. I'm not saying you're implying this. But in the past when we've had to try out new members, we've had people tell us, "Oh yeah, I learned the stuff, I've got it down". And then when they showed up to play, they found out quickly that there were alot of little things that they'd missed, or had the wrong feel for, that really makes a difference. One of the main reasons why Vito impressed us at his audition was because he actually was able to pick up on these things quickly and on his own, when quite a few other people didn't. I dunno, I equate it to something like....how many people have you heard pick up a guitar and play a classic Ac/Dc or Pink Floyd song? Now, how many of those people really played it right? Haha, y'know what I mean? The feel and timing and little intricacies can make all the difference.

While I won't say I'm not a "fan" of guitar solos, one thing I always felt was that solos in Novembers Doom songs needed to have some purpose. To have some wanky shred solo in an ND song would, by and large, seem gratuitous and out of place. Which isn't to say that a more technical, fast metal guitar solo might not work it's way into an ND song someday, but only if it really fit the song and had a purpose for being there. When you hear the solo come up in The Novella Reservoir, or Drown the Inland Mere or Dark World Burden (either the mddle solo, which is mine, or the end solo courtesy of Mr. Swano), I like to think that those solos are there because they further the song and have some true melodic purpose. I hope that's not sounding conceited or something. I guess the point I'm getting at is...when I hear a song like, say, "Comfortably Numb" or something along those lines, I feel that the guitar solo is almost equally important to that song as the vocal lines or the beat or whatever, and without the solo, the song wouldn't be the same. I certainly don't think anything I've done is 1/1000th as great as Gilmour's work, but it's the same general idea and purpose I shoot for with guitar solos.

Someday Vito and I will do a secret side-project that's just over-the-top metal riffing and all that shit, just to prove to people that we know how to do it hahaha ND-meets-Nevermore-meets-Spiral Architect coming your way, folks LOL

Anyway, I'm glad you guys enjoy talking with us. If you're cool to us then we're cool to you, that's about it really. If people act like jerkoffs then we can be not so nice, a few people who've popped onto this forum over the years have discovered that :)

I don't like to play shredder solos cuz I can't play that fast. :) But if the solo has no real reason to be in the song it usually bores me. I think we've all heard people play a thousand notes a second before, but how many of those solos do you remember once they're done? I was always a pretty big fan of Maiden solos cuz it seemed like they always had a reason to be there. Now Slayer solos, they were just there. In fact you could probably take any solo from any song and put it in any other song and it would fit. Once in a while it's fun to listen to a lot of notes but I'll always gravitate towards memorable, melodic stuff.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys enjoy talking with us. If you're cool to us then we're cool to you, that's about it really. If people act like jerkoffs then we can be not so nice, a few people who've popped onto this forum over the years have discovered that :)

I haven't seen you guys say anything "not so nice" to anyone (even one person who shall remain nameless and may have deserved a bit harsher response was treated with respect)...granted, I haven't hung out here THAT long, but you guys always seem like top-notch guys to me! :kickass: That's one of the reason I keep coming back, besides the fact that your music is sheer perfection...:) I hang out in the Opeth forums quite a bit as well, and suffice it to say that the level of respect shown there doesn't come close to what we have here.