Rammstein

opacity said:
and i admire your patience to learn german :cool: i think i wouldn't have enough if it

Well i plan on spending a semester abroad in germany, so it kind of helps to be able to speak the language somewhat, or at the very least understand it when people are talking it. I understand it quite well, but i still am not confident enough of my speaking/writing of it.

Reactions: opacity
genocide roach said:
rammstein was impressive live

i think the idea of doing vocals in the native tongue is a great idea. and ive noticed the scandinavian bands do it. and thats cool. another german band does it, "in extremo". and actually, the vocals sound extremly (hardy har har) similar.

but here is somthing to consider. in most metal bands, you cant really understand what the hell they are saying anyways. like in alot of black metal bands. and while its a cool idea to stick with your native tongue, its not like people are gonna be able to tell most the time. unless you have a good vocalist who can enunciate (sp?) and even still people wouldnt understand because its not english so they would just pass it off as unenunciated screaming. get what im saying?

in the current times i think its a great idea to incorperate native tongues. if my native tongue wasnt allready english, id do that. and the reason is, alot of the languages are starting to be phased out as everyone starts to speak english. and i think thats apart of a culture that shouldnt be lost. its what makes a culture and country unique. but everyone is starting to speak english and everyone is starting to blend into eachother. and while that may help for international business, i think it takes away from our world as a whole
~gR~

In Extremo is ridiculously awesome. Sunder Ohne Zugel rules.

David Å. said:
I´m all for native languages in music! I don't know what bands you listen to, but there are tons of groups out there that are mostly singing in their own tongue.

How about :

Moonsorrow
Vintersorg/Otyg
Månegarm
Sorhin
Odal
Nargaroth
Thyrfing
Windir
Ásmegin
Trelldom
Belenos
Stille Volk
Menhir
Ashen Light
Severnie Vrata
Skyforger
Butterfly Temple
Lunar Aurora
Temnozor
etc.

Not all are very well known, I give you that, but I regard many of them as personal favorites. Of course, I understand both Swedish/Norwegian/Danish perfectly and also German to some extent, but I appreciate French, Finnish and Russian lyrics too.

i agree with you, Thyrfing are a very good band, sure i dont know what they're really saying, but it's not always about words.. it's about the way they are said emotionally that effects how we think...
like most of rammsteins lyrics kind of sound a bit harsh/agressive....
even though they're not very dynamic

"you, you hate, you hate me, you hate me to say" <-- prooves the point (duhast) but still....

i was just about to mention thyrfing. amazing band. and in their case, the language definatly fits. since they are VIKING metal. i think they should have less english, cause they do mix it up. but the idea to use their natural language in a style of music thats essentially native to their culture is a great idea
~gR~

iAMtheblackwizards said:
I think another reason bands choose to sing in english is that because of the fact a lot of europe is proficient in english, it means their lyrics can be enjoyed by a larger audience. Besides, in the US for example, aside from Rammstein, it is VERY hard to market any music that is not in english. That's just what im thinking.
Quoted for Emphasis.

DU
DU HAST
DU HAST MICH

the pronounciation of "du hast (mich)" is the same as in "du hasst (mich)"; the latter means "you hate me"
and i think it's meant as a pun cos the whole song is a bit nasty

yup I agree with anyone in here who said the native language is hard to work into a song and make it sound good. However, I've been getting into Japanese music a little. you'd be surprised. They have the typical metal style, but with Japanese lyrics, and they work hella good. Japanese is very sharp, fast, and extensive, so it's very fitting.