Randall or Peavey?

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
quick question. GASing for an amp head, have 2 options (used):

Randall RH 150 G3 for 300 EUR

Peavey Supreme for 250 EUR

the 50 extra euro are not a function if the Randall is actually better
any input, and if possible sound-clips is very much appreciated!

Peavey TRANSTUBE Supreme? The solid-state one?

_c650109_image_0.JPG

If so, I still have one of those. It was decent ('twas my first half stack ever). I recall having a distortion pedal in front of it for years, then finally removing it and being satisfied with the amps natural gain channel. But, I was also a noob back then.

I'm a big Peavey fan in general, not just the amps, but the company itself. With that said, I have always been impressed by the transtube stuff i've heard from their smaller practice amps etc...

goddamn, all that late 80s/early 90s peavey gear is so fugly

...but also built so damned solid. to this day, probably the most underrated bass amp of all time is the peavey mark IV, which sound awesome, look like shit, and are built like fucking TANKS

I had a dream of collecting every classic peavey solid state amp and all of the ultra series amps. My life would be complete.

:headbang:

To the OP, it depends which Peavey Supreme it is... I'd be inclined to try for the Randall but the Peavey's are tanks in their own right. If you don't have a noise gate yet, might be worth it to nab the Peavey and use the extra $ for a gate...

thanks for all the input!
i'm tending to go Peavey on this one... but i'll be more specific before i do so:

The Peavey

The Randall

The Randall comes with a footswitch which makes it more attractive, but the Peavey seems like a safer choice.
i suppose the best way to choose is to actually test both, both for this price it's not worth running around the city so i'd rather harass some people over the internet :)
anyone had experience with that Peavey before i take it?

The thing with the Peavey Ultra and its derivatives is that it's essentially been the same 3-channel, active EQ amp over and over again (Ultra, XXX, JSX which added fat switches and a noisegate, now XXX II which is just a rebranded JSX), so I suspect the same is the case with the Supremes, making them an equally safe bet!

The thing with the Peavey Ultra and its derivatives is that it's essentially been the same 3-channel, active EQ amp over and over again (Ultra, XXX, JSX which added fat switches and a noisegate, now XXX II which is just a rebranded JSX), so I suspect the same is the case with the Supremes, making them an equally safe bet!

Aside from the fact that it's solid state and those are tube amps. But yeah they do that alot. 3120 too.

Last time I checked, the Supreme amps were solid state equivalents of the Ultra/XXX/JSX amps. They even went as far as to have a transformer coupled push pull power section with Global Negative feedback so the topology is about 90% to that of a tube amp, just with the tubes replaced with solid state transistors. To top it off the transtube technology was Peavey's clever design to make a solid state discrete circuit that acts like preamp tubes, AMT Electronics has somethign similar with their solid state tubes, which is a rather old technology from back in the 60s as a way fro silicon to slowly phase out vacuum tubes. It wasn't until recently when the tonal characteristics of preamp tubes were fully realized and redeveloped.

For that alone, I would say go for the Peavey, it will have the tube topology and contain most of the tube quirk. The Randal I believe is simply a mosfet design, while better and tends to operate in similar fashion to tubes, its still not the same. One problem with the Supreme I think, it may have been the XL is that it is a transformer coupled power amp, meaning that even though it is solid state, it still has to be plugged into a load at all times. For the most part the supply voltage and winding ratio of the transformer should be high enough to do damage or as much damage, it is still something you have to watch out for.

A late 1980's early 90's (can't remember the year I bought it) Peavey Bandit 112 Solo Series "teal stripe" was my workhorse amp for almost 8 years. It is one of those "I can't believe I traded it" items when seen in hindsight - I loved that amp. I traded it to a friend as part of a amp+cash trade for a used truck. Figured I'd find another one - never did (I never really looked that hard despite missing it dearly.)

Saving up money for another amp isn't an option I guess?

after buying a whole studio in about 3 months? not really.

and what's "better" when it comes to amps anyway? some has a certain sound, others another, just like some players would prefer to have a Punk tone, and others a good sounding tone :loco:

Last time I checked, the Supreme amps were solid state equivalents of the Ultra/XXX/JSX amps. They even went as far as to have a transformer coupled push pull power section with Global Negative feedback so the topology is about 90% to that of a tube amp, just with the tubes replaced with solid state transistors. To top it off the transtube technology was Peavey's clever design to make a solid state discrete circuit that acts like preamp tubes, AMT Electronics has somethign similar with their solid state tubes, which is a rather old technology from back in the 60s as a way fro silicon to slowly phase out vacuum tubes. It wasn't until recently when the tonal characteristics of preamp tubes were fully realized and redeveloped.

For that alone, I would say go for the Peavey, it will have the tube topology and contain most of the tube quirk. The Randal I believe is simply a mosfet design, while better and tends to operate in similar fashion to tubes, its still not the same. One problem with the Supreme I think, it may have been the XL is that it is a transformer coupled power amp, meaning that even though it is solid state, it still has to be plugged into a load at all times. For the most part the supply voltage and winding ratio of the transformer should be high enough to do damage or as much damage, it is still something you have to watch out for.

i lost you around "Last time i checked..."