Random Freestyle Guitar/Vox

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Hey guys. I have a strange way of coming up with ideas, which involves me creating about 2 mins of drums and then freestyling guitar to that until I get ideas.

Yesterday I decided to track some randomness in D Standard, then our vocalist laid down some freestyle vox. I know this isn't a full mix (just one guitar centered and no bass), and drums were done in FL Studio.

I thought I had it mixed nicely, then came to realize that it seemed very thin and weak. I ended up bumping some bass over the Master Bus and sucking out some of the highs that seemed harsh in the cymbals.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6443251/Short Clip 1 fades.wav

Is this in any way, shape, or form, possibly on the right track to a decent mix or have I screwed it all up? I dont have monitors so I basically just bring up a pro mix and compare, but then it seems that my mixes are too bright and brittle and the pro mixes almost sound muffled.

Ok, so I must really suck at mixing. Really need some monitors.

This sounded half decent through my current setup, but once I played it in my car, holy shit it sounds like ass! China cymbal was wayyy too loud and overall clarity just not there. :(