rare prog from early 70s

This has been probably mentioned numerous times, but, I have to recommend King Crimson's Red. Released in 74', this is a monstrous release and should be in any music lover's collection. Prog at its finest...

Mmmm nice thread, reminds me of my vinyl collection.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, 49 pages :)

Here's some names from the 80's scene that may interest some folks here...

The Bevis Frond, One man band = musical genius.
Paul Roland, amazing goth psych. "Burnt Orchids."
Peter Hamill, ex Vandergraaf Generator. "Silent corner Empty Stage."

I just found this link...

http://www.pooterland.com/index2/bandsmenu/bands_p/bands_p.html

Enjoy.

I'm sure American west coast 60's psych has been covered here but just in case...

The Grateful Dead,
Jefferson Airplane,
Iron Butterfly.
Country Joe & the Fish,
The Electric Prunes. "Too much to Dream"
Tonto's Expanding Headband, "Zero Time" hehe.

I should get my copy of Ghost Reveries today... :hotjump:

Do not disturb. :headbang:

lol

dcat.

Peter Hammill is the man. My favourites (of what I've heard, he's made something like 50 albums) could be In Camera, The Black Box, The Fall of the House of Usher... but I've understood they're all quite good.

I must also recommend Italian prog to everyone! I think Italy had the greatest and most creative scene back in the days... Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Goblin, Locanda Delle Fate, Quella Vecchia Locanda... All are astounding!

I would especially recommend Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso: Io Sono Nato Libero (electronics and double bass drumming in 1974!) and PFM: Per Un Amico.

italy's contributions were probably 2nd in line...but i wouldnt ever go as far as to say that the italian material was better than the UK material. obviously PFM, Goblin, Celeste, Banco and Le Orme, etc...were the tier 1 of italian progressive rock bands...but the sheer number of good bands between each country outnumbers the italians almost 10 to 1. So i cant say that i agree.

But, tasters choice...everyone has their favorites obviously.

I'm getting ready for a move and I've been going through all of my old lp's and have been listening to all of the Italian bands listed above over the past week. I agree that Per Uno Amico is the finest PFM record. One album that I'd forgotten about by Le Orme is a little gem called Florian. Highly recommended.

Hahah, Kuha. is great. Haven't heard their new album yet, except for Painileiri... It sounded quite disappointing.

You should check out the German group POPOL VUH (their track "Kleiner Krieger" is the opening theme for each OPETH gig!), they really played progressive instrumental music in a quality which I've never heard before and again. Highly recommendable are "Einsjaeger & Siebenjaeger" (1974, incl. Kleiner Krieger) and "Hosianna Mantra" (1973). Their first two albums are purely electronic music, also way ahead of their time (even better than what Tangerine Dream or Tonto's expanding head band were doing at that time)

what a thread! - I'll add my spaghetti-prog faves JUMBO here (best album: "DNA") - also have a listen to APHRODITE'S CHILD's double album "666" (from Greece, with synth player Vangelis, before he became the New Age chartbreaker) or Spain's ESPERANTO with the album "Danse Macabre" - awesome musicians...

i listened to king crimson's islands the other day.. what a great album! i especially enjoyed the title track. i find that something that really attracts me to kc are the dynamics, some parts are so low you can barely hear them and others are very loud, especially when compared to the soft parts.. i'm not good at describing music, but i just wanted to share an aspect i've come to appreciate lately

yeah I think it was either Brian or one of my friends who sent the album, I can't remember. Probably brian, he seems to be the biggest fan of the band...and "in the court..." is the best prog album ever.