rare prog from early 70s

Hmm, I don't think there's much info of them even in Finnish, as they are really ug here, and they have a bizarre sense of humour and most things they tell about themselves is just nonsense or otherwise made up.

On their way: Gentle Giant - Three Friends, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - ...Di Terra. Can't wait! :)

Oh yeah, and try the new Mew album. (I might have said this earlier.)

Damn, man. I just spent the better half of my morning reading this entire thread! So many things to check out. What a great thread, though. I'm glad it got bumped.

I'm surprised that Genesis-Foxtrot hasn't been mentioned more. One of my faves, though my collection is pretty limited. I'd like to expand it, but have to pay the mortgage and have a baby to take care of... I subscribe to eMusic, and they have a prog section there with some Goblin (mostly the soundtracks, I think). Anyone know if they have more stuff worth dl'ing? With eMusic, it's already a monthly expense, so I don't feel guilty about spending my money on more music!

soundave said:
Damn, man. I just spent the better half of my morning reading this entire thread! So many things to check out. What a great thread, though. I'm glad it got bumped.

I'm surprised that Genesis-Foxtrot hasn't been mentioned more. One of my faves, though my collection is pretty limited. I'd like to expand it, but have to pay the mortgage and have a baby to take care of... I subscribe to eMusic, and they have a prog section there with some Goblin (mostly the soundtracks, I think). Anyone know if they have more stuff worth dl'ing? With eMusic, it's already a monthly expense, so I don't feel guilty about spending my money on more music!

most goblin material is very much quality. regardless if its for films, or album based music. foxtrot is indeed a great album...but theres fistfuls of albums which never get ANY attention on this thread still to this day...so i share your sentiment.

NineFeetUnderground said:
theres fistfuls of albums which never get ANY attention on this thread still to this day...so i share your sentiment.

Yeah, you've made that SO clear to me in this thread! :worship:

I've compiled a list of stuff to look for. My collection is pretty limited to Floyd, Tull, Yes, Genesis, ELP...

I have a question: I saw on a number of posts that Opeth songs and albums are often named after these rare prog bands. Is there a master list of that somewhere? Or do you know all of the ones that qualify offhand?

soundave said:
Yeah, you've made that SO clear to me in this thread! :worship:

I've compiled a list of stuff to look for. My collection is pretty limited to Floyd, Tull, Yes, Genesis, ELP...

I have a question: I saw on a number of posts that Opeth songs and albums are often named after these rare prog bands. Is there a master list of that somewhere? Or do you know all of the ones that qualify offhand?

well, he has major references, and subtle ones that arent confirmed, or just go under the radar if im not paying attention or aware it seems. im not huge on lyrics anyway, so i dont usually find out about everything. heres the ones i know offhand

My Arms Your Hearse - Comus lyric
Benighted - Partial stolen intro from Camel
Still Life - COULD be a reference to the band of the same name or of VDGG
Amen Corner - Another Band
Blackwater Park - Another Band
Master's Apprentices - Another Band
Face of Melinda - COULD be named after Curved Air's song "Melinda"
Orchid - COULD be taken from the Sabbath song of the same name
Ending Credits - Structure and likeness COULD be from "the snow goose"
For Absent Friends - COULD be coined from the Genesis OR Gilgamesh song.
Baying Of The Hounds - Comus Lyric
Profundo Rosso - their tour shirt...Goblin OST from the italian horror film
Atonement - Supposedly inspired directly by a George Harrison sitar beatles track.

and im sure theres more, but theyve escaped me at the moment.

i dont think it goes that far necessarily. maybe a lot of lyrical concepts could have been inspired by some. but ive yet to hear much of the Opeth music itself directly relating to any old progressive bands. his writing style is fairly original, or at least his aproach is. you wont find the riffs on white cluster in any old prog albums imo.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i dont think it goes that far necessarily. maybe a lot of lyrical concepts could have been inspired by some. but ive yet to hear much of the Opeth music itself directly relating to any old progressive bands. his writing style is fairly original, or at least his aproach is. you wont find the riffs on white cluster in any old prog albums imo.
actually the riff at about 3:45 is very similar to a Ash Ra Tempel song I can't really put my finger on right now. :erk: Take my word for it though!

I'm guessing Mikael is also a fan of Coven's 1969 release "Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls". The last track is supposedly a recording of a satanic mass, and part way through, five names are chanted:

“Satan! Beelzebub! Leviathan! Asmodeus! Abaddon!”

I remember the last time Opeth came out here (Australia), Mikael introduced 'Deliverance' by asking the crowd to chant these names (they were the same names, and in the same order). Could be a coincidence, but unlikely.

Another slight possible reference is on the Still Life album (by the band of the same name); there's a part in the first track about 'sinking beneath the mire' or something (I can't quite remember, but I can't be bothered to put it on either). As I said, very slight, and only a possible reference, but... *shrugs*

I was also wondering if there are any Jacula fans in here? Not the greatest of bands, to be sure, but has anyone heard 'Triumphatus Sad' off 'In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum'? This has a black metal guitar sound almost FIFTEEN years before Bathory! (it was released in '69). I was blown away when I first heard it - the guitar tone/style sounds like nothing of the time, until Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc. The drums aren't blasting (of course) - they're very minimal - but the guitar?!? Wow. Makes the Sabbath debut seem a whole lot less heavy.

I recommend that anyone interested in proto-black metal check out at least that track - puts a whole new perspective on things. In fact, anyone interested in Opeth and progressive rock (ie: you guys) should check it out. The rest of the album (and subsequent albums [the main guy, Antonio Bartoccetti went on to form Antonius Rex amongst other projects]) didn't explore the sound further, at least to my knowledge. I only own the first (and only) two releases under the name of Jacula, but as I said, check out 'Triumphatus Sad'. I think you might still be able to download it on http://www.antoniusrex.com/auditorium.htm.

Most of their other stuff is very occult-influenced (the lyrics were written in conjunction with a medium), and very heavily organ-based. There's some spoken word material, in their native Italian, English, and Latin (some of it quite chilling when in the right mood), and some female vocals. Definitely an interesting band, if not a very good one.

Katabasis said:
I was also wondering if there are any Jacula fans in here? Not the greatest of bands, to be sure, but has anyone heard 'Triumphatus Sad' off 'In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum'? This has a black metal guitar sound almost FIFTEEN years before Bathory! (it was released in '69). I was blown away when I first heard it - the guitar tone/style sounds like nothing of the time, until Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc. The drums aren't blasting (of course) - they're very minimal - but the guitar?!? Wow. Makes the Sabbath debut seem a whole lot less heavy.

I recommend that anyone interested in proto-black metal check out at least that track - puts a whole new perspective on things. In fact, anyone interested in Opeth and progressive rock (ie: you guys) should check it out. The rest of the album (and subsequent albums [the main guy, Antonio Bartoccetti went on to form Antonius Rex amongst other projects]) didn't explore the sound further, at least to my knowledge. I only own the first (and only) two releases under the name of Jacula, but as I said, check out 'Triumphatus Sad'. I think you might still be able to download it on http://www.antoniusrex.com/auditorium.htm.

Most of their other stuff is very occult-influenced (the lyrics were written in conjunction with a medium), and very heavily organ-based. There's some spoken word material, in their native Italian, English, and Latin (some of it quite chilling when in the right mood), and some female vocals. Definitely an interesting band, if not a very good one.

Holy....wtf? Yes, you can download it. This is NOT from '69, is it? This sounds way more recent...wow.... Thanks for the link!

That's a sick guitar sound and style for '69. I wonder what equipment was being used....And it does cause me to reassess Black Sabbath's debut.

So, back to the 70's prog thing...

Not necessarily rare or anything, but one of my favorites is Foxtrot by Genesis. The first track, "Watcher of the Skies" is amazing, and has a section reminiscent of the section of "Ghost of Perdition" that everyone claims Opeth ripped from Tool. "Get 'Em Out by Friday" and "Supper's Ready" are classic.

One of the things I heard about Genesis was that they tried to make the guitars sound like keys and vice versa. I think it's really interesting to listen to them try to do that.

I also saw a Genesis retrospective video a number of years ago where they said that the new stuff (Sussudio and such crap) wasn't made with any different intent than any of the early, Peter Gabriel stuff. That they had always been trying to write hits. I laughed. Like writing a 20+ minute song is the way to a hit record...Any other Foxtrot fans?