rare prog from early 70s

House of Seance said:
the only major genre I don't think has ever been discussed at great length here is electronic music

Yeah, last time that was tried the topic was deleted, and no one bothered to restart one. Pity, I need some new ebm/idm to listen to.

Just checking out some bands I've never heard of on Prog Archives, and I was wondering what people think of Return to Forever. At the moment I'm listening to Duel Of The Jester And The Tyrant, and it sounds pretty good.
So I guess I'm asking, are Return to Forever good or are they rip-offs of another band (I have very little knowledge of fusion bands, so I have no idea.)

Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior album is awsome....

The Dimeola solo disc Land of the Midnight Sun has the same feel as RTF...

Liquid Tension said:
Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior album is awsome....

The Dimeola solo disc Land of the Midnight Sun has the same feel as RTF...
Yeah? I'll check it out.
Also, if anyone has any more dark bands (preferably not BM though) to recommend, I'd really appreciate it. I already know about Comus and Museo Rosenbach, but I couldn't find many others in this thread. Univers Zero?

Edit: Oh! I don't know if anything like this exists, but an influence of H.P. Lovecraft or Edgar Allen Poe would be great. I love their work. I know about Alan Parsons and the occasional Sabbath and Metallica dabble into Lovecraft, but have yet to hear anything that has come across as really dark.

belgarath68 said:
Yeah? I'll check it out.
Also, if anyone has any more dark bands (preferably not BM though) to recommend, I'd really appreciate it. I already know about Comus and Museo Rosenbach, but I couldn't find many others in this thread. Univers Zero?

Edit: Oh! I don't know if anything like this exists, but an influence of H.P. Lovecraft or Edgar Allen Poe would be great. I love their work. I know about Alan Parsons and the occasional Sabbath and Metallica dabble into Lovecraft, but have yet to hear anything that has come across as really dark.

Akasha is a great dark progressive rock band from the early/mid 70s from norway, give them a try. and as far as lovecraft or poe influence or something similar...try the bands: "H.P. Lovecraft", "Bram Stoker" and "Nosferatu". As well as the bands "Black Widow", and "Jacula"...although i dont know if theres any real vivid influence of those above authors specifically in those 2, but there obviously COULD be if you listen to the music...and will no doubt give you the same affect regardless. enjoy

NineFeetUnderground said:
Akasha is a great dark progressive rock band from the early/mid 70s from norway, give them a try. and as far as lovecraft or poe influence or something similar...try the bands: "H.P. Lovecraft", "Bram Stoker" and "Nosferatu". As well as the bands "Black Widow", and "Jacula"...although i dont know if theres any real vivid influence of those above authors specifically in those 2, but there obviously COULD be if you listen to the music...and will no doubt give you the same affect regardless. enjoy
Yeah, I was only looking for that dark feel that those authors produce, so those other two bands you recommended should be good too.

And thanks for that link, Braighs!

Ugh. Akashat sound like a really good band, but I haven't found a place that either sells their CD or has a track or two for download. It's really annoying, as it seems that they would be right up my alley.

belgarath68 said:
Ugh. Akashat sound like a really good band, but I haven't found a place that either sells their CD or has a track or two for download. It's really annoying, as it seems that they would be right up my alley.

www.mellotronen.com

tell Stefan that Joseph recommended his shop to you, and you want some fantastic recommendations or new releases...he will take care of you.

NFU said:
www.mellotronen.com

tell Stefan that Joseph recommended his shop to you, and you want some fantastic recommendations or new releases...he will take care of you.

NFU's mafia practices stretch out in more places than you can imagine. The "he will take care of you" bit sounds a bit suspicious to me tbh.