rare prog from early 70s

I was thinking about this thread the other day, and nearly revived it. But who's left here that has anything interesting to add? This thread pretty much had it's last coffin nailed in place when NFU decided to call it quits.

There was an SF prog/psych/jam band called "Hammer" who put out one self-titled record on San Francisco Records in 1970, who absolutely smoked (especially the then 19-year-old guitarist!). It is literally impossible to find, even to this day. But I know the singer of the band, John DeRobertis, currently a voice teacher in SF, and who also happens to be amazing, and he digitized the CD for me.

HAMMER.jpg

They sound a bit like Cactus or Magma, but more rocking with really some of the best guitar playing I've heard, ever! The story goes, after a Hammer gig, BB King saw the young Hammer guitarist and was so blown away that he asked him to come to a private jam session in San Francisco. Of course, he couldn't say no, so BB took him to a private club they'd rented out where BB played guitar and sang, Jimi Hendrix was playing bass, Steve Winwood was on keys, and Janis accompanied BB on voice.

Pretty cool, huh? ;)

If Mikael wants it, I'll burn him a copy of the LP and somehow try to get it to him at the Oakland ProgNation tour.

And here's a posthumous myspace page for the band so you can check out some of the tunes ('Something Easy' and "Tuane' are excellent).

Hammer@Myspace

hmr_fillmoremarquee.jpg

Yeah, I appreciate them all for different reasons. But like you, I don't agree with all they have to say. However, that's kinda what makes it a progressive movement. There is room for disagreement, in fact it's welcome, unlike the dogmatism that has plagued mankind for millennia.

I got Nektar's "A Tab in the Ocean" and I'm head over heels for it. Just great. I can't wait to get more! Next, I think, will be "Journey to the Centre of the Eye". Maiden did an interesting cover of "King of Twilight" that combines it with "Crying in the Dark" and sort of skips the instrumental fun of both. But it's still pretty good. It's just that the originals really are awesome.

I got Nektar's "A Tab in the Ocean" and I'm head over heels for it. Just great. I can't wait to get more! Next, I think, will be "Journey to the Centre of the Eye". Maiden did an interesting cover of "King of Twilight" that combines it with "Crying in the Dark" and sort of skips the instrumental fun of both. But it's still pretty good. It's just that the originals really are awesome.

yea, get journey to the centre of the eye... it's good =)

[KOTNO]Narrot;7230680 said:
yea, get journey to the centre of the eye... it's good =)

Are you kidding? It´s freakin´ awesome! I have been listening to that record for almost two weeks straight now:).
Also,Italian band Goblin is something i´m going to check out,this sounds pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an SF prog/psych/jam band called "Hammer" who put out one self-titled record on San Francisco Records in 1970, who absolutely smoked (especially the then 19-year-old guitarist!). It is literally impossible to find, even to this day. But I know the singer of the band, John DeRobertis, currently a voice teacher in SF, and who also happens to be amazing, and he digitized the CD for me.

HAMMER.jpg

They sound a bit like Cactus or Magma, but more rocking with really some of the best guitar playing I've heard, ever! The story goes, after a Hammer gig, BB King saw the young Hammer guitarist and was so blown away that he asked him to come to a private jam session in San Francisco. Of course, he couldn't say no, so BB took him to a private club they'd rented out where BB played guitar and sang, Jimi Hendrix was playing bass, Steve Winwood was on keys, and Janis accompanied BB on voice.

Pretty cool, huh? ;)

If Mikael wants it, I'll burn him a copy of the LP and somehow try to get it to him at the Oakland ProgNation tour.

And here's a posthumous myspace page for the band so you can check out some of the tunes ('Something Easy' and "Tuane' are excellent).

Hammer@Myspace

WOW!! i really dig this. Awesome songs on that myspace page you mentioned.. is there anyway i can get my hands on this? i guess its out of print? can i get it digital somewhere?

Smokin', right!

It's totally out of print... and has never been on CD.

John did digitize it and give me a copy, though. Though I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I just gave it out, I want to ask him first.

Three of the tracks are downloadable on the myspace page though. Enjoy them! I'll let you guys know if I can just put em up for download.

So, I got Nektar's Journey to the Centre of the Eye, and it's good, but I actually don't like it as much as A Tab in the Ocean. Journey is pretty loose and vibey, which is cool, but A Tab has better songs, riffs, and solos. Although, the last two tracks on Journey (not on the original LP) are pretty excellent, especially 1,2,3,4. I'm going to explore more of their stuff, though I recall hearing that they really changed into a poppy sort of thing at some point. Any suggestions?

i was in my local record store the other day and i stumbled on "A Tab in the Ocean." picked it up for $4. :)

i am in love with prog, and i want to try and listen and learn about as many bands as i can, but sometimes it seems so overwhelming with the sheer amount of bands that there are worth listening to. american prog bands, german prog, space prog bands from europe, AHHHHH!!! lol.

A Tab rules. Have you given it a spin yet?

yes. i adore it! the atmospheres they create. im going to buy it on cd this week as well.

hey soundave, have u listened to any Pulsar or Eloy? im told these 2 bands are along the same lines of Nektar. im going to have to check them out.

No, I haven't. I'll see if I can find them.

Edit: Found 'em both on eMusic (about the only way I get music now besides Opeth). Any idea what albums are good? The Pulsar stuff is categorized as electronica?? But it's the band you're talking about.