rare prog from early 70s

deliverance said:
I purchased 2 cds tonight:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny.
A classic album.

Nightingale - Invisible.
I kept hearing stuff about them, so I downloaded a few tracks, they sounded pretty good, so I bought the cd on a whim. After 1 spin, it sounds pretty good, but I'll need a few listens for a true opinion. Though I do prefer hearing dan's death vox, his clean voice has developed quite well. Unfortunately that will never happen again (Dan + death vox) according to the man himself.

sad wings of destiny is so good it almost makes me cry, haha.

as for nightingale...i never really got into it. i personally think a lot of the stuff Dan does just isnt that good. the crimson albums aside. ;)

Alternative 3 said:
Browsing on amazon, I saw the album First Utterance by Comus is getting a US release.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002W4UY8/qid=1108862440/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-0277432-7336601?v=glance&s=music

Ill actually be able to afford it now.

they keep doing this to me.

years and running now, ive been buying euro releases, imports, special remasters, etc....and then BAM after ive aquired so many...they put out cheaper domestic editions....figures.

im just glad im done buying vinyls...id end up having to sell my mother's teeth.

Yeah that stuff pisses me off aswell, I brought Meshuggah's Chaosphere for 54 dollars (bout 30 us) and then about a month ago i saw it for 5 on sale. I usually wait for remasters before i buy a cd these days (some-one should really remaster Alice Coopers back catelogue, expecially love it to death)

Pt's Warswava was also on there as getting a states release.

Alternative 3 said:
Yeah that stuff pisses me off aswell, I brought Meshuggah's Chaosphere for 54 dollars (bout 30 us) and then about a month ago i saw it for 5 on sale. I usually wait for remasters before i buy a cd these days (some-one should really remaster Alice Coopers back catelogue, expecially love it to death)

Pt's Warswava was also on there as getting a states release.

i think eventually most releases will get remasters. i think its rarely the goal of any record company or band to only have things as rarities and collectors items...for theres less money in it, and no labels see a penny from 2ndary market sales and whatnot. i think limited editions are made to save funds, and spark immediate interest, as opposed to downloaded things, or having to pay for mass produced material.

in either case...ive learned patience because of this...and always hold off before getting hasty and buying something overpriced if its just going to be released domestically.

I never really thought of it that way, I always thought the money used to produce something, remastered would outweigh the sales. But that post has given me new hope.

I brought loves forever changes the other day (nicely remastered) I like the use of accoustic guitars on the album, makes it a little different from other albums ive heard from that time.

Alternative 3 said:
I never really thought of it that way, I always thought the money used to produce something, remastered would outweigh the sales. But that post has given me new hope.

I brought loves forever changes the other day (nicely remastered) I like the use of accoustic guitars on the album, makes it a little different from other albums ive heard from that time.

its funny, America Online actually has radio stations, with good streaming quality, commercial free, and great selections typically. they have specific psychadelic, progressive and classic rock, and even metal stations. ive been listening to this stuff a lot lately, and even found some new bands this way...its given my record collection some time to cool off to which i like.

It sounds funny you saying finding new music, because so many people in this thread have found new music because of you.

I would check those stations out but im still on archaic 56k

Alternative 3 said:
It sounds funny you saying finding new music, because so many people in this thread have found new music because of you.

I would check those stations out but im still on archaic 56k

well thank you...i love turning people onto new music...it makes me feel that much more in touch with my passion, and gives it a less selfish purpose for me...

but yes, im always getting into new bands...i dont think its possible to ever hear everything, haha.

HAHA you could be like Luz and listen to Limp Bizkit, its possable to hear everything on mainstream radio (well here) in one song.

The best part is it is good music that we are being turned onto. I hate when people say listen to this bacnd, and they are shit (ie Fintroll)

:yuk: That's a nasty statement.
Fintroll is good...

Alternative 3 said:
HAHA you could be like Luz and listen to Limp Bizkit, its possable to hear everything on mainstream radio (well here) in one song.

The best part is it is good music that we are being turned onto. I hate when people say listen to this bacnd, and they are shit (ie Fintroll)

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
anybody here knows magma? i got a record called mekanik destruktiw kommandoh...that's real weird stuff from the seventies...

yep, magma is a wild space rock band from the 70s. check out "udu wudu" if you have interest in further exploring their catalog.

Is there anything of interest on the new best of Genesis DVD? I had a quick look. As you know Im not the biggest Genesis fan but I would like to see them live, i imagine its quite a show.

Alternative 3 said:
Is there anything of interest on the new best of Genesis DVD? I had a quick look. As you know Im not the biggest Genesis fan but I would like to see them live, i imagine its quite a show.

to be honest im not sure if theres any of the real old "gabriel era" material on it...in fact i know very little about this dvd other than it exists. i have seen live genesis material...and it is quite intruiging...pretty different and dynamic. im not sure if theres any official releases with this type of material on it...for the only footage i have seen was a bootleg a friend purchased and viewed with him.

BUMP

I woke up this morning and turned on the tv, this red head chick was talking about some band that sounded like pink floyd and yes, and then used the word prog rock. The dizzy announcer replied "what is prog rock", i laughed. They were reviewing the new mars volta album. I went into town to get it and the lady at the record store said march first. Kinda pissed me off but it should be a good album.

i like both albums. i feel the first is less experimental, and more accesible...but its good to see them already progressing and changing their sound with new ideas and whatnot. what show was it this album was being talked about on?