Rate my drum sound

EdwardPayne

May 10, 2006
www.metallfabriken.se
Hi everybody, this is my first own thread here and I would like some input on the drumsound. I got my hands on some drum microphones and would like to know what you think about the sound. The band is some of my friends who started a Hard rock cover band. I recorded one song for them, it's a Whitesnake song.

So.. here we go. Listen to the drumsound or everything else if you want to :) Don't keep the critics (good and/or bad) from me, it's just helpful.
http://www.metallfabriken.se/filer/HB4.mp3

If you are interested I can give you the spec of the gear used.

Drums are ok, you should use some room mics to get a real 80's feel to them.

I'm actually putting together an 80's hard rock covers band right now here in London, need to earn some money from playing and the money for covers bands is good.

Razorjack said:
Drums are ok, you should use some room mics to get a real 80's feel to them.

I'm actually putting together an 80's hard rock covers band right now here in London, need to earn some money from playing and the money for covers bands is good.

Thanks for your reply. It's amazing how good sound you can get from cheap microphones.
I was thinking about that room mics aswell, but chose to lower them in the mix. Most of the times when I work I want the drums in the face. I guess this mix is a modern version. This band started just to earn some money, I think it's a good idea. They recorded a live DVD this weekend to put on their future website.

Agree the drums are too dry sounding for hair metal. This stuff needs that massive snare drum...

Jesus...."Give Me All Your Love".....brings back memories. Where's John Sykes when you need him? :)

KeithRT99 said:
i like the kick sound. the snare could stand to be bigger in the 80's sense. I really liked the lead tone. Post the specs of everything.

The guitars are a Pod2 directly to the sound interface. Lead and rhythm are same sound but different EQ in the mix.

The drums are recorded with a 7pcs drum mic kit set worth 180USD .. yes, REALLY cheap. They are a swedish brand JJLabs. The bass amp are taped with the JJLabs kick drum mic. I used a Focusrite Octopre mic preamp for everything. Recorded with a Motu 828mkII into Logic Pro 7.2, 88.2kHz, 24bit.

In Logic I used the Metric Halo Channel Strip on every channel.

Hm, the overall mix is a bit on the tinny side. Something in the guitars could use some improvement to make it sound less midrange-y (which is a contradiction, I know). You could also send the bass to some sort of overdrive plugin and mix it in there a bit to have the bass and the guitars work a little better together.

Just my 2 cents.

smy1 said:
Hm, the overall mix is a bit on the tinny side. Something in the guitars could use some improvement to make it sound less midrange-y (which is a contradiction, I know). You could also send the bass to some sort of overdrive plugin and mix it in there a bit to have the bass and the guitars work a little better together.

Just my 2 cents.

Okay, thanx! I will definitely look into that! I am running the lined signal from the bass to a software amp to add some distortion, maybe it's not enought.

god damn its a sick cover! love those leads! oh and the rhythm tone is nice and beefy too!

overall the mix needs a bit more of a hi-pass filtered reverb to give it that BIG sound..

keep up the good work!

Ed,

Great riffing. I would say to make the drums bigger as well, especially the snare. But, great version of that tune! It is just dying for MORE BIG 80's VERB I guess!

Duke