Recording Drums - A Journey

Just got into these videos. I find this as an interesting technique, what do you guys say?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KOaYTUvUIg&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
i love drummers that use like
2 toms 1 snare, and kick, and just a hat, china, 2 crahses and a ride

pretty minimal but man do i love it

i love drummers that use like
2 toms 1 snare, and kick, and just a hat, china, 2 crahses and a ride

pretty minimal but man do i love it

Ditto.

As a drummer, I went from having the big-ass kit and playing roundhouse fills to having the tiny little Ludwig kit with a couple of cymbals. And I had more fun on that kit than the big one.

Also, micing that kit and lugging it to gigs was a hell of a lot easier, too :D

@raptor7

This technique is not bad at all, I also recorded like this. Channel separation ftw :) BUT, if I´d be a drummer in a band and go to the studio, I NEVER would like to play with this recording technique. IMO this is good for some easy Pop/rock stuff what will be edited and quantisized to fuck anyway. As an engineer I´m not completely averse about that - as I a drummer I am though.

No room mics on this one, it's Breverb :) The OH's (414) do pic up a bit of the room sound cause of the pretty wide set up, though.

Breverb then. Seems like I need to buy this. Let me guess, it´s expensive? It sounds wonderful, especially the reverb on the snare.

Btw dudes, feel free to check the clips of my drumsound in the rate my mix section:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/578659-please-check-my-drumsound-mix-real-drumkit-7-mics.html

Drums alone & in the mix!

Haha okay, 15 dollars no brainer is worth a thought, but the difference between 250 and 15 is so immense, what da hell I can expect of the 15 $ no brainer version in comparison with the full version?

I got the same cheaper version, though it was actually $4.99 back then. It lacks the hall reverb (I got IK Multimedia CSR Hall for that) and inverse. So basically you get pretty decent sounding plate and room verbs. You can't tweak them nearly as much as the full version, but enough for my liking. I hate verbs that have six fucking hundred pots for almost the same parameter :)

I got the same cheaper version, though it was actually $4.99 back then. It lacks the hall reverb (I got IK Multimedia CSR Hall for that) and inverse. So basically you get pretty decent sounding plate and room verbs. You can't tweak them nearly as much as the full version, but enough for my liking. I hate verbs that have six fucking hundred pots for almost the same parameter :)

Wow okay, this convinced me. Thanks for your info, Jarkko :kickass: I´ll give this a try. 15$ I cannot do wrong, I guess.

This thread inspired me to get back on the kit after playing with Slate programmed drums for so long. Result = :D:D:D

5 mics
Pg81's on overheads (finally seem to have nailed these, not harsh anymore, quite a bit of drums in them but in a good way, still loud cymbals, good separation)

Sm57 on room (I usually place these quite low and they sound really shitty and snarey and just garagey.. mostly my room to blame :D but I looked at Ryan's pics and he had em quite high so I put it high up about 1.5m from the kit pointing down at it.. fucking gooodly, just mono for now)

e902 on teh kick. LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this mic. Gate and slight compressor and a boost at 50hz is what you hear. It's just pre-eq'd so perfectly.

SM57 on snare (but sample replaced cos I only have one 57 atm..bought one off eBay but the dude was retarded), again VERY little EQ, just a high shelf with about 2db. Some compression and saturation and etc. More moongel than I usually put on, went for a more 'woody', thick lowtuned drum sound. Think I nailed it despite having a brass snare drum.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/realDrums28March.mp3

No mics on toms :( sorry for sloppy playing haven't played in a month.

This thread inspired me to get back on the kit after playing with Slate programmed drums for so long. Result = :D:D:D

5 mics
Pg81's on overheads (finally seem to have nailed these, not harsh anymore, quite a bit of drums in them but in a good way, still loud cymbals, good separation)

Sm57 on room (I usually place these quite low and they sound really shitty and snarey and just garagey.. mostly my room to blame :D but I looked at Ryan's pics and he had em quite high so I put it high up about 1.5m from the kit pointing down at it.. fucking gooodly, just mono for now)

e902 on teh kick. LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this mic. Gate and slight compressor and a boost at 50hz is what you hear. It's just pre-eq'd so perfectly.

SM57 on snare (but sample replaced cos I only have one 57 atm..bought one off eBay but the dude was retarded), again VERY little EQ, just a high shelf with about 2db. Some compression and saturation and etc. More moongel than I usually put on, went for a more 'woody', thick lowtuned drum sound. Think I nailed it despite having a brass snare drum.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/realDrums28March.mp3

No mics on toms :( sorry for sloppy playing haven't played in a month.

Wow sounds great!
Could you tell more about the PG81? I also recorded our drummers Overheads with it and it doesnt sound like that....
Would be great if you could tell some more about how many and were you placed them :)