Rate these Songs - thread #17

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
You all love me for these threads, and it's weekend time for fun!

IRON MAIDEN - The Clansman
AT THE GATES - Cold
BATHORY - Holocaust
CANDLEMASS - The Well of Souls
FALKENBACH - ...When Gjallahorn Will Sound....
SLAYER - Mandatory Suicide
JUDAS PRIEST - The Hellion....Electric Eye
PRIMORDIAL - The Cruel Sea

Scores out of 10.

IRON MAIDEN - The Clansman :9
AT THE GATES - Cold : 8
BATHORY - Holocaust : 9
CANDLEMASS - The Well of Souls : 11
FALKENBACH - ...When Gjallahorn Will Sound.... : 8
SLAYER - Mandatory Suicide : 9
JUDAS PRIEST - The Hellion....Electric Eye : 8
PRIMORDIAL - The Cruel Sea : havent heard of it

Fucken hell, the first of these where I know EVERY song! Good work JayK (or good work me for being such a walking fucking metal encyclopedia :'D)

IRON MAIDEN - The Clansman 7/10 (Drags. "Sign of the Cross" slays it. Still, best song in an otherwise pretty much shit album)
AT THE GATES - Cold 7/10 (not one of the better tracks from AtG's worst album, but AtG never sucked...)
BATHORY - Holocaust 9.5/10 (a great thrasher from one of the best albums ever, but is kind of shadowed by things like AFDTD, BFD and Dies Irae)
CANDLEMASS - The Well of Souls 10/10 (yeah, fucken hell, TWELVE STROKES FOR CANDLEMASS, DARKNESS DESCEEENDS!!!)
FALKENBACH - ...When Gjallahorn Will Sound.... 9.5/10 (fucking BRILLIANT beer drinking music, probably the best song from the album.)
SLAYER - Mandatory Suicide 9/10 (A total winner, but there are some better Slayer tunes out there...)
JUDAS PRIEST - The Hellion....Electric Eye 8/10 (Mhm. The fucking INTRO RIFF. This is the song I've heard least of all the included ones though... Cool early speed metal, I still prefer 70's Priest, but who doesn't really)
PRIMORDIAL - The Cruel Sea 7/10 (Not going to use the f-word (f*ller) but it doesn't seem as integral a part of the records as the "real songs".)

Two responses thus far....tut tut to all you ignorant bastards of steel!

These threads are mandatory for all RC regulars, and those who eavesdrop too.

IRON MAIDEN - The Clansman
???

AT THE GATES - Cold
I remember liking this one a bit, but not as much as the rest of that album. 7/10.

BATHORY - Holocaust 8/10, maybe 9/10 just because of that last HOLOCAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUST!!! part.

CANDLEMASS - The Well of Souls
I only know one album, but this song kicks ass. 8/10.

FALKENBACH - ...When Gjallahorn Will Sound....
Who?

SLAYER - Mandatory Suicide
On the CD: 8/10. In concert: 10/10 OMFG SO AWESOME.

JUDAS PRIEST - The Hellion....Electric Eye
Judas Priest blows but... I dig this song. 7/10.

PRIMORDIAL - The Cruel Sea
Again, who?

Pushes random play on his 1000-disc changer I'll bet. I can't wait to see Streisand end up in one of these threads. :loco:

EDIT: I don't like Priest. Some of their Painkiller-era stuff is okay, but everything else I've heard is pretty weak. Watching that Breaking the Law video is painfully hysterical in so many ways. :tickled:

Exciter
I liked the guitar solo part, it was cool. The rest is okay. Halford sounds silly, per usual. Whoa, how many fuckin' choruses does this song have?!

Diamonds and Rust
This is okay. That's all I can really say about it. Unremarkable, not good or bad. I wouldn't switch the radio off.

Victim of Changes
Ooh cool riff. Hhahahahahahahhaha @ the vocals. Damn whiskey women! This riff is rockin' though, very muchly good. Nice little breakdown toward the end, good bass tone there. Last minute or so gets stiff and weird, the groove wasn't allowed to breathe enough.

Hell Bent For Leather
Yeah I know this one, I always thought the title referred to Rob's initial outting of himself. Main riff is okay.

Funny how I really hated Rob's voice with Priest (except Painkiller), but Fight I thought he sounded great. High pitched but had that wicked edge to it. This stuff doesn't change my opinion on Priest, pretty blah to me.

Some brief comments:

Iron Maiden: The Clansman - One of the few worthwhile songs on VXI, no matter how much Blaze and the repetitive choruses try to ruin it. Of course, live with Bruce it tears the studio version apart. 7.5/10 (9/10 in concert)
Falkenbach: Gjallarhorn - The song that got me into this arch-Viking band, at first I thought it just droned without puprose before warming up to it. 8.5/10
Slayer: Mandatory Suicide - I'm sure it was the mixed down vocals here and on Crooked Cross and not the slower tempos that caused people to say WTF after Reign... 7/10

IRON MAIDEN - The Clansman (I don't have Virtual XI)
AT THE GATES - Cold (8/10 - cool riffs)
BATHORY - Holocaust (7/10)
CANDLEMASS - The Well of Souls (don't have it)
FALKENBACH - ...When Gjallahorn Will Sound.... (I only have Ok Nefna...)
SLAYER - Mandatory Suicide (8/10 - cool midpaced thrash)
JUDAS PRIEST - The Hellion....Electric Eye ( 9/10 )
PRIMORDIAL - The Cruel Sea (7/10 - its just an instrumental/transition track, its not BAD but its nothing really remarkable either)