Royal Carnage March Madness 2006 - Decide the Bands

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
First, a review. In Round 1 of 2005's inaugural Royal Carnage March Madness, the Top 40 vote-getters were:

Agalloch
Amon Amarth
Amorphis
Anthrax
At the Gates
Bathory
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Blut Aus Nord
Burzum
Carcass
Dark Tranquillity
Death
Dimmu Borgir
Drudkh
Emperor
Enslaved
Finntroll
Graveland
Hammers of Misfortune
Immortal
Iron Maiden
Isis
Judas Priest
King Diamond/Merciful Fate
Meshuggah
Moonsorrow
My Dying Bride
Negura Bunget
Neurosis
Nevermore
Nile
Novembers Doom
Novembre
Opeth
Primordial
The Lord Weird Slough Feg
Ulver
Vader
Wolverine

I would suggest we should bring them all back, minus the 2005 Champions, Bathory. Now I know some will say, that I only want Bathory excluded because I'm not a fan. Not true (well, not entirely). Bathory won, each round they were in, fairly handily. And to avoid this becoming the same tournament, with the same bands advancing every year, I think it makes sense to retire each year’s Champion to the RC Hall of Fame, and move on.

The other bands 24, at the bottom of last year's 1st Round were as follows:

Akercocke
Anathema
Angra
Arcturus
Ayreon
Candlemass
Cradle of Filth
Decapitated
Deicide
Edge of Sanity
Helloween
Iced Earth
Into Eternity
Kataklysm
Kayo Dot
Manowar
Mar de Grises
Mastodon
Megadeth
Orphaned Land
Satyricon
Stratovarius
The Chasm
Vital Remains

I think the remaining spots should be open to these bands, any bands that were accidentally left out last year (Slayer... ooops), and any new bands that have entered RC's collective psyche.

Besides Slayer, other bands I think we should consider including are:

Aeturnus
Behemoth
Blood Red Throne
Carpathian Forrest
Falkenbach
Gojira
Grand Magus
Hammers of Misfortune
Kreator
Melechesh
Morbid Angel
Naglfar
Thyrfing
Tiamat

Feel free to suggest any others you feel are worthy. When I have what appears to be a complete list, I’ll post another thread to determine which bands get the final 25 spots.

Zod

Mayhem, Nokturnal Mortum, 1349, Obtest, Belenos, Summoning

I also second Aeternus, Behemoth, Blood Red Throne, Carpathian Forest, Falkenbach, Morbid Angel and Thyrfing

Edit: 5000th post

General Zod said:
I would suggest we should bring them all back, minus the 2005 Champions, Bathory. Now I know some will say, that I only want Bathory excluded because I'm not a fan. Not true (well, not entirely). Bathory won, each round they were in, fairly handily. And to avoid this becoming the same tournament, with the same bands advancing every year, I think it makes sense to retire each year’s Champion to the RC Hall of Fame, and move on.

I agree entirely, but I think you should take it one step further and remove at least the top 5 bands from last year. Every other band is fair game like you say.

Feel free to suggest any others you feel are worthy.

Isis
Destroyer 666
Deathspell Omega
Tool
Sepultura

I agree with everything JK has said and maybe Sólstafir (not sure how many ppl know them)

Seems like as time goes on, each RC member's taste splinters off and becomes further and further from what brought us together in the first place.

Meaning I look at the bands in this thread and think "meh." I like a lot of them, love some of them even, but as a whole, it won't really interest me to know how this thing resolves. Something's lacking... not sure how to put it into words really.

Edit: and of course I see the same kind of thing happening to the tastes of others around here. ex: Moose is moving away from metal and into neofolk/militaristic music/post-industrial experimentalism/cool stuff.

I don't know if RC epitomizes what I'd look for in a musical community anymore. Still a fun place, but maybe I've "outgrown" it a bit, in a way.

Demilich said:
Meaning I look at the bands in this thread and think "meh." I like a lot of them, love some of them even, but as a whole, it won't really interest me to know how this thing resolves. Something's lacking... not sure how to put it into words really.

OK but that might not be a reflection of this forum per se. I think it's more a reflection on how you perceive metal bands now, right? Point being, if you look at all the bands that Zod listed in the first post, you could pretty much sum them up as being the most well known "usual suspects" -- outside of classic metal like Deep Purple or Motorhead I suppose.