RATE WHAT THE PERSON ABOVE IS LISTENING TO THREAD

6/10

Pretty sure I just found my new favorite Black Metal band... too bad they only have 2 albums :(

Last edited by a moderator:
9/10

Metallica! With "... And Justice For All," Metallica had proven that the untimely death of Burton didn't mean the end of the band. Justice was known as one of the most sophisticated works metal had seen up to that point; a truly accomplished album, and had shown that they boys hadn't lost their chomps when it comes to musicianship. However, during, and especially after the Justice tour, people began to notice that they were having problems playing full sets of their more complex songs. They began to fuck around and not take shit seriously. Three years went by before they created a new album. The departure from their classic sound was evident. Simpler song structure, less anger, and subject matter that wasn't nearly as heavy (compare the opening numbers for Blackened to Enter Sandman) were some of the obvious changes. Hetfield's voice had apparently aged as well. Unlike the others I have posted so far, this "trying something new" was more out of necessity than it was out of desire to challenge themselves (I believe.) They simply lost their cutting edge. However, does that make "The Black Album" as it is unofficially called a bad album? Do we criticize it so much, not for it being bad, but for not being up to par with their earlier work? Or, is it just bad music? You be the judge.

In the midst of all that, here was a stand-out song on that album that itself was considered even odd in comparison to adjacent songs:

Great prog-metal! Very melodious song, performance technique doesn't work to the detriment of musicianship. 8.5/10.

The vocals didn't quite match well with the music at all times which knocks this song down half a point (the grunts are good though), but otherwise quite a fascinating listen! Good find.

7.5/10

Ah, disco. So many ways to disparage thee! Few in the rock would have dared to venture into such troubled waters, which made Kiss' attempt all the more boggling. Up to Love Gun, many considered Kiss flawless, and with such a classic catalog Kiss had some die-hard fans. Putting out "I Was Made For Loving You" as the first song on Dynasty was really risking it. Many thought this was down right sacrilege. As time passed though, the song has grudgingly been accepted by some Kiss fans, especially in light of the fact that fans like the rest of the album. You judge:

Maybe that song a little become boring (because of overplayed on radio), but nonetheless, it's a classic hit, that easily could put to the ears whole stadiums. 10/10.

Not my favorite Boston song. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for it? Most of their stuff has that happy feel. 7/10 I guess

Defiance's first is ok, but it's basically a third-rate Testament which makes them basically fourth-rate thrash. The main riff and verse melody are especially weak, but the instrumental section has a few solid moments. Beyond Recognition was as good as they'd get. 4/10.

Music was fairly good but the vocals were average for me 6/10.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oHWSJElwtA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oHWSJElwtA[/ame]