RAVENWOODS - "Enfeebling the Throne" - Reviews

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/raven-woods-enfeebling-the-throne-review/

Middle-eastern tinged metal has become a slight trend. Since Nile really took off with the sound and influences, slowly but surely the metal scene has followed with. Behemoth played the Nile card and won big with it and Melechesh has grown to great popularity, releasing great records left and right. However, that bands from the middle-eastern or north African region are actually put out records influenced by their own culture, that’s pretty new. Sure, Orphaned Land has been around a long time, but they didn’t really catch the popular metal imagination until 2006. Myrath still hasn’t caught on and now we have Raven Woods of Turkish extraction.
And, let me say this, Raven Woods wasn’t impressive at first. I listened to this record and said “Holy crap! Behemoth!” But fortunately for bands (but not for lazy reviewers) we have standards over here at Angry Metal Guy, and that meant that I couldn’t just write a review after one listen. Because, while the record starts out a bit slow and monotone—the first three tracks really do just sound like Behemoth songs to me—the record gets better and better as it develops. Starting with “Torture Palace” Raven Woods starts successfully blending the traditional middle-eastern sounds, modes and instrumentations in with their face melting death metal riffs and the effect is haunting.
Tracks like the aforementioned “Torture Palace” and “Upheaven-Subterranean” are excellent examples of this blending, as well as the awesome tech-lite riffing on “The Grey Cold Shade,” which features not only excellent riffing but an all out death vocal assault, with vocalist Kaan really shining (if that’s the right word) and showing off his intensity. Another thing about these guys, is that while they have a bit of that Behemoth and Melechesh sound to them, they have a more melodeath approach at times, with excellent harmonized guitars and techy riffs that really get stuck in your brain after a few listens and feature the more traditional vibe while still being heavy. This, combined with excellent guitar solos and the mix of traditional instruments creates a unique and enjoyable blending of sounds that really convinced me that there was more to this band.
Unfortunately, the production on this record is very much ‘modern’ and feels like too much. It’s loud (duh), and the drums are very triggered and/or replaced and it kinda draws back from the sound, which because of its traditional tinge, should maybe be more acoustic and/or folksy. To be honest, it also helps contribute to the feeling that these guys just sound like Behemoth—which says something about how dated Behemoth‘s records are going to sound in a few years, doesn’t it. When you hear that thick guitar tone with those triggered, blasty drums it gives off an immediate feeling. But fortunately, with a careful listening, the music speaks for itself, and it overcomes these draw backs to produce a really convincing second two-thirds of the album.
Rating this record is really hard for me. I think that from track 5-11 are awesome; really great metal, but the slow start doesn’t deserve a higher score than a 3.5, and I don’t want to exaggerate anything. But at the same time, I want to strongly recommend this for fans of modern death metal and folk-influenced music and Middle-Eastern flavors. I think that this band has some amazing potential if they can differentiate themselves from the pack a little bit sound-wise. The music is beautiful, it’s subtle and it’s well-written at the same time as being brutal and heavy. I wish these guys the best of luck and hope to see them out on tour, because this music would be excellent live.

3,5/5

http://www.kwadratuur.be/cdbesprekingen/detail/raven_woods_-_enfeebling_the_throne/

4/5

Het is een weinig bekend gegeven dat ook in landen als Turkije aan metal wordt gedaan. Al te vaak wordt daar door de goegemeente lacherig over gedaan, maar eens die Raven Woods gehoord hebben, zal dat lachen snel over gaan. Niet alleen weten deze jongens op overtuigende wijze een pot brute en beukende death/black metal te brengen, ze geven tevens een frisse insteek in licht oriëntaals getinte extreme muziek.
Voor de beenharde partijen binnen de muziek van Raven Woods staat zonder twijfel Behemoth als inspiratie. Immers, de erg pompende ritmesectie gecombineerd met loeiharde riffs en occult aandoende melodielijnen heeft wel wat weg van het werk dat Nergal en co. durven te brengen. Dat is echter geen punt van kritiek, want deze jongens brengen het er erg goed vanaf en laten horen dat ze weten waar ze naartoe willen. De drumpartijen razen meer dan eens door aan een haast walgelijk strak ritme en de ritmeriffs zijn zo solide als een vooroorlogse tank. Iedere pilaarbijter trekt vast bleek weg bij het aanhoren van dit staaltje metal.
Toch weet Raven Woods om een andere insteek binnen het genre te bezigen. Zo zijn de melodieën vaak geënt op eerder oriëntaals/Turkse motieven (iets wat Necrophagist overigens ook met succes wist te doen) en daardoor krijgt Raven Woods vast en zeker verwantschap met wat bands als Nile, Melechesh en Orphaned Land doen. Ook duiken meer dan eens akoestische gitaarpassages op, die voor een luisteraar veeleer doen denken aan flamenco dan aan Turkse volksdans. Vermoedelijk ligt ook hier een exotische muziekwereld aan de oorsprong, maar het breekt alvast op overtuigende manier het geweld en laat de rauwe gaspedaalstukken nog harder overkomen.
'Enfeebling the Throne' heeft echter ook een klein minpuntje, en dat is de (erg sporadische) cleane zang. Deze is niet slecht, maar misstaat wat in het geheel en lijkt daardoor ook erg verloren. Het dient wel gezegd dat meer dan 95 procent van het album beukt, blaast en tiert, waardoor deze ene kanttekening haast onooglijk wordt. Rest enkel te herhalen dat Raven Woods vast en zeker een rijzende ster aan het metalfirmament mag worden, aangezien 'Enfeebling the Throne' een opdoffer van jewelste is.

[FONT=&quot]HEADBANG MAGAZINE (print-TR) Issue:50
Raven Woods Interview (2 page) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.headbang.com.tr
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Spot:
RAVEN TO THE THRONE, METAL TO THE BONE!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Having released their long-since anticipated third album through Italian label Code666, Raven Woods forwards an intense response to those who think heaviness could be sacrificed for the sake of being ethnic-authentic![/FONT]

http://blackterrormetal.com/index.p...view=1154-Raven-Woods---Enfeebling-The-Throne

Non possiamo certo definire la Turchia un paese prolifico in ambito metal, anche se non mancano le realtà che sono riuscite a distinguersi, nel corso degli anni.
I Raven Woods esistono da diverso tempo e sono nati come black metal band, per poi virare verso un death / black moderno, reso più “easy listening” da passaggi thrash metal e qualche momento più “orientaleggiante”. A dire il vero, l’elemento black non è così forte, si tratta più di un death metal da “headbangers”, grazie ai tanti momenti “thrash”.
Si tratta sicuramente di un buon lavoro, reso interessante da quel pizzico di Turchia presente nella loro musica. Una musica maligna nel modo giusto, costruita su violenti riff di chitarra e una sezione ritmica molto potente, distruttiva.
Certo, non inventano certo nulla di nuovo, ma riescono spesso ad azzeccare il riff di chitarra giusto.
Essendo poi, la loro musica, strutturata in modo semplice, è piuttosto facile riuscire ad assimilare i loro pezzi.
Inoltre, “Enfleebling The Throne” è un disco dotato di una produzione, di suoni, davvero eccellenti.
La resa delle canzoni è quindi massima ed il disco riesce ad essere accattivante, senza grandi invenzioni compositive.
L’elemento folk, sebbene sia poco presente, è, di fatto, quel qualcosa in più, che rende la loro musica personale.
Non è un lavoro per “true blackster”, ma per amanti della musica estrema, in genere.

http://www.audiodrome.it/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=7529

3/5

Sembra che la code666, con le sue ultime uscite, ci abbia preso gusto a riproporre quel black metal melodico che in questi ultimi anni sta inevitabilmente stagnando.

200x200RavenWoods.jpg
Questa volta è il turno dei Raven Woods, band turca giunta al suo secondo full length. La formula non è nuova: ci sono le solite accelerazioni con chitarre tirate e batteria serrata, qualche cambio di ritmo per dare spazio a suoni più melodici, voce sempre urlata (anche se mai realmente incisiva). Tanto per distinguersi, anche qualche inserto esotico/orientale alla Melechesh (con le dovute proporzioni). Nel complesso ci troviamo davanti ad un disco piuttosto scorrevole, grazie a qualche buona idea e a un minutaggio moderato. I problemi arrivano quando si scende in profondità con l’ascolto e si scoprono tutti i difetti più o meno accentuati dei Raven Woods: l'intero Enfeebling The Throne è fin troppo legato a uno schema piatto, tant'è che tra le undici tracce non ce n'è una che sappia rendersi memorabile. I brani sono ben eseguiti, la qualità del suono è godibile e qualche intuizione è pure azzeccata ("Stay"), ma non bastano alcune linee di chitarra melodica a rendere l'intero lavoro davvero interessante. Gli ultimi pezzi riescono a salvare tutto attraverso un uso degli strumenti più ragionato e reso anche un poco dinamico ("The Grey Cold Shade"), ma siamo ancora lontani dalla forma che potrebbe rendere competitiva la band. Enfeebling The Throne è un disco consigliabile a chi si sa accontentare, un ascolto non impegnativo e anche piacevole, mentre i più esigenti possono tralasciare senza timore.

[FONT=&quot]CHAOS MAGAZINE (print-TR) Issue: 9 - July
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.myspace.com/chaosmagazinetr
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
RAVEN WOODS interview - 2 page

Spot:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TARGET GREAT![/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mighty [FONT=&quot]Raven Woods [/FONT]from Ankara, trying their chances abroad with their brand new album through Italian Code666. All world will see how death and black metal can be combined with Anatolian tunes![/FONT]

BIRA DARKZINE
http://www.bira.gen.tr/bira.asp?id=22601

Raven Woods - Enfeebling The Throne review

Author Score: 12/13
Audience Score: 11/13

Ozan&Cihan Co. var oldukça Ravenwoods'un daim olacağı muhakkak. Yıllardır duvarı delen ikili artık sabit görünen bir kadroyu toparlamayı başardı ve ikinci tam albümlerini Code666 Recs. bünyesinden yayınladı.

Albümü çok merak ettiğimi söylemem lazım zira Ravenwoods her daim işini kaliteli yapan, gerekirse yavaş olsun ama iyi olsun diyerek yapan bir grup. Az buz değil, bu ülkede 13 yıldır varolan bir kaç gruptan birisi kendileri. Ozan'ın davuldan Bass'a geçmesi, davullara Barbar Sem'in oturması itibariyle hızın artacağı zaten belliydi fakat Ravenwoods atmosferik ve oryantal tabanlı ezgilerini bu albümde de aynı his yoğunluğuyla koyabilir miydi? Görmek lazım.

Kadro

Kaan - Vokal
Cihan - Gitar
Emre -Gitar
Ozan - Bass
Semih - Davul

Şarkı Listesi

1-Zahir & Batin
2- Enfeebling The Throne
3- Breathless Solace
4- Ecstasy Through Carnage
5 - Torture Palace
6 - Upheaven - Subterranean
7 - Inward Massacre
8 - Stay
9 - The Grey Cold Shade
10 - The Fading Trace
11 - Azab-ı Mukaddes

Albüm Nasıl ? Şarkılar Nasıl ?

İlk iki kayıttan daha farklı, dahası hızlanmış ve şiddet dozajı artmış bir Ravenwoods albümü bu. Yıllar içinde stilleri daha oturmuş ve Cradle'la başlayıp Dissection, Katatonia gibi grupların hissiyatını hatırlatan Ravenwoods bu albümde kesinlikle kendi rotasında bence. Gruptan Seth ECT.' e ağırlık vermek için ayrılan Aybars'ın Ravenwoods'da olduğu dönemden beridir bildiğim "Daha şiddetli / Gaddar Müzik" eğilimi en sonunda kendisini bu albümle gösterdi ya, nası mutlu oldum anlatamam.

Bolca blast ve çift krosun cirit attığı davullar ve bolca yapılan tremola pickingler, Kasatura grubundan da bilenlerin bildiği Kaan'ın harika vokalleriyle güçleniyor, kesinlikle de bir grubun etkisini hissettirmeden kendi stilleriyle size ulaşıyor. Çok kaliteli riffler, farklı modlar ve tempolarda iniş çıkışlar sizi albümü dinlerken kafaca dinç turuyor.

Kayıt Nasıl ?

Mükemmel. Bu kadar basit. Bence bu işi bu ülkede en iyi yapan kişi, Seth ECT'in de kayıdını yapan İsmail Parlak kişisi. Kulağından böğründen taşan bir algı kuvveti ve bu işlerde Allah vergisi bir yeteneği var. Yeni nesilde çok iyi kayıtçılar geliyor ve bu müziğe de çok uymuş yapılan iş. Gerçekten bayıldım. Tüm tonlar ve seviyeler yerli yerinde, gerektiği kadar. Gelmiş geçmiş en iyi yurdum kayıtları listesinde de ilk 3 e kafadan girer.

Sonuç ?

Bugüne kadar yapılmış en iyi Ravenwoods albümünü dinleyeceksiniz. Grubun olgunluk çağı denilebilir bu albüm için. Çok kaliteli riffler, çok sıkı gitar işçiliği ile bezenmiş bu kayıda damga vuracak bir ek yapı da, Cihan'ın yazdığı ve kaydetmiş olduğu harika Flamenko-tabanlı partisyonlardır.

Ravenwoods, uzun yıllardır tanıdığım ve sevdiğim elemanlardan oluşan bir grup ve bu kadar güzel bir iş yaptıklarını görmek beni çok mutlu etti. Çok sevindirdiler beni. Desteği, orjinal Cd satışlarını sonuna kadar hakediyorlar.

(Not: Stay şarkısı,2009 yılında kaybettiğimiz Ankara tayfasının sevilen elemanlarından Evren için yazılmış. Grupla samimiyeti bir başkaydı kendisinin. Onlar da vefa duygusunun nasiplerini bu şarkıyla göstermişler. Biz de bir defa hatırladık Evren "The Duskhunter" ı.)

PASIF AGRESIF - TR
Raven Woods interview
http://www.pasifagresif.com/2011/05/raven-woods/

Spot:
Bu seferki konuğumuz, metal konusunda ülkemizin en üretken şehri konumundaki Ankara’dan çıkan ve 13 senedir müzik hayatına devam eden death metal grubu RAVEN WOODS. Yeni albümü “Enfeebling the Throne”u Nisan başında çıkaran grubun bas gitaristi Ozan Yıldırım’la RAVEN WOODS’un amaçlarını, yerli ve yabancı piyasadaki hedeflerini konuştuk. Tıpkı benzer mentalitedeki diğer başarılı gruplarımız gibi, ne yaptığını bildiği ortada olan RAVEN WOODS’un da desteklenmesi gerektiğini hatırlatarak, kısa süre sonra sitede kritiğini de görebileceğiniz “Enfeebling the Throne”u şimdiden herkese tavsiye ediyor ve röportaja geçiyoruz. Ama önce, röportaj yabancı forumlara konabilsin diye bir de kısa İngilizce girizgâh yapıyoruz.

RAVEN WOODS hails from Ankara, Turkey’s so called “metal capital” and is ready to CONQUER the extreme metal fans with its latest death metal attack, aptly titled “Enfeebling the Throne”. We chatted with Ozan Yıldırım (bass guitar) about RAVEN WOODS’ current status, goals and his thoughts on the Turkish metal scene. If you are a fan of Anatolia/Middle East influenced death metal in any form, give “Enfeebling the Throne” a try. You won’t be dissappointed!

Death Metal Baboon - The Netherlands
Raven Woods interview
http://deathmetalbaboon.com/interview-with-raven-woods’-ozan-yildirim

Spot:
About two months ago we did a review of Enfeebling the Throne, the latest album by Orientally-inspired Black Metal band Raven Woods – back then we erroneously spelled it as Ravenwoods, as we discovered from the current interview, as you’ll be able to read later on.

We got into contact with Ozan Yildirim, who plays the bass in Raven Woods and convinced him to do an interview with us. It took a couple of turns in e-mailing up and down stream, but in the end we learned a great lot about the band, for which we’re very grateful to Ozan. Quickly read on for the full interview!

First though, we’ll hook you up with a random track off Enfeebling the Throne, so you’ve got something to spoil your ears with while you read. The song is question is the one called Torture Palace and it carries the official DMB Seal of Fuckin’ Approval! Riffs that are so strongly grooved that they take over control of your heart rhythm, while the whole thing holds plenty of space for dark oriental melody for a powerful mythical atmosphere. Nice surprise is the original Turkish folk music in the center segment. One of the best Black Metal efforts I’ve picked up in a long while!

THE PIT OF THE DAMNED
Raven Woods - Enfeebling the Throne review
http://thepitofthedamned.blogspot.com/2011/05/raven-woods-enfeebling-throne.html

domenica 29 maggio 2011
#PER CHI AMA: Black Death, Behemoth, Melechesh

Chissà qual’era l’intento della Code 666 quando ha arruolato nel proprio rooster i turchi Raven Woods? Trovare i nuovi Behemoth o forse proporre qualcosa di brutale e al contempo “sporcato” da melodie di mesopotamica derivazione (vedi Melechesh)? Non saprei dire, quel che è certo è che la proposta musicale del five-pieces anatolico è un death black che si rifà senza ombra di dubbio alle due band sopra menzionate, anche se i nostri tendono decisamente a privilegiare la proposta di Nergal e soci. Il genere quindi è già ben delineato nelle vostre menti, veniamo pure al risultato: dopo l’intro si viene subito travolti dalla title track e da “Breathless Solace” che confermano immediatamente che quello che ho fra le mani è un prodotto di metal estremo e brutale, caratterizzano da un riffing tonante e fragoroso (complice un’ottima produzione) che esalta tutti gli strumenti, in particolar modo la batteria di Semih che si rivelerà nel corso del disco, fantasiosa, a tratti sincopata, ma costantemente devastante (spaventosa in “Ecstasy Through Carnage”). Certo, lo spettro dei Behemoth continua ad aleggiare sui nostri, prevalentemente a livello delle ritmiche, sempre tirate e sempre a cavallo tra death e black, e dove la melodia è relegata a pura spettatrice. Tra un passaggio orientaleggiante (si ascolti il meraviglioso bridge di “Torture Palace”, la mia song preferita o “Upheaven-Subterranean”) e un outro acustico, i nostri riescono a sfoderare brillanti prove anche in chiave chitarristica, dove i solos confezionati dal duo Cihan/Emre, si riveleranno alla fine assolutamente azzeccati. Non posso non citare anche la prova egregia alla voce di Kaan, che si diletta alternandosi tra lo screaming black e il gorgoglio death, bravo. Insomma, fondamentalmente a me questo disco piace, anche se talvolta potrà balzarvi all’orecchio qualcosa di un po’ troppo derivativo o peggio, piattino. Quel che è certo è, che ancora una volta la Code 666 ha piazzato un colpo vincente con una semisconosciuta band dalle grandi potenzialità, stiamo a vedere in futuro che accade, ma sono certo che sentiremo ancora parlare dei Raven Woods e non per forza questa volta, confinati nell’underground più estremo. (Francesco Scarci)

(Code 666)
Voto: 70