RC Bug Out Bags

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Nuclear War is upon us. Kim Jong Eek the II has taken out the electrical grid with an EMP. Napalm is cascading down upon your community like the underarm hair of a womens studies major. Thankfully you got a nice set of fire retardent doors that will spare thee 10 minutes to collect your thoughts and your albums into a bug out bag. 2 dozen albums tops, you need some room for a few cans of tuna and cheese afterall.

These two dozen albums, a discman, and a family pack of Kirkland AAs is all that you have to sustain you for years and possibly senescence...

Anathema - Eternity
Anathema -Alternative 4
Agalloch -The Mantle
Agalloch -Pale Folklore
Bathory-HammerHeart
Bathory-Blood Fire Death
Blind Guardian-Live (2cd)
Ares Kingdom-Return to Dust
Dark Tranquillity-Sky Dancer
Negura Bunget-Om
Destroyer666 - unchain the Wolves
In the Woods-Heart of the Ages
Helhein-Av Norren Aett
Hammers of Misfortune-TheBastard
Morgion-Solinari
Minsk-Out of a Center Which is Neither Dead or Alive
Neurosis-A Sun That Never Sets
Negura Bunget-Om (So good I listed it I grabbed it twice)
Primordial-Spirit the Earth Aflame
Opeth-Orchid
Ulver-Bergtatt
Summoning-Old Mornings Dawn
Sol Invictus-In a Garden Green

upload_2021-4-13_14-47-26.png

Reactions: MFJ and spikes77
Should keep me going for awhile-o_O

Maudlin of the Well - Bath
Maudlin of the Well - Leaving your body map
In the woods- Omnio
In the woods - HEart of the Ages
Ulver Bergtatt
Agalloch - the mantle
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Opeth - Morningrise
Arcane Sun - s/t
Peste Noire - La Sanie des siecles
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
Tenhi - Maaaet
Empyrium - Weiland
Controlled Bleeding - Dub songs from a shallow grave
Mount eerie - Dawn
Autechre - LP5
Autechre - Untitled
Autechre - Chiastic Slide
Jose Gonzelez - Veneer
Skepticism - Lead and Aether

Ehhh, I'm just bringing my phone and external HD. Hundreds of albums.

Due to the emp your phone exploded. (This is some NK crypto technology that not only takes out grids, but all phones not produced by Blackberry.) Ye just got a Sony Discman that is tougher than a Chinatown cockroach, and a ton of AAs.

Try Again

Reactions: Bloopy
Danzig 4p
Ulver - Bergtatt
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Agalloch - The Mantle
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Carcass - Heartwork
Negura Bunget - 'n crugu bradului
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
In Flames - The Jester Race
Taake - Nattesid ser porten vid
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
The Doors
In The Woods... - Omnio
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
Pearl Jam - Ten
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

Went for a variety because that's definitely going to be on my mind during a panic. Crap I forgot Primordial TOO LATE!

Anti-Nowhere League - The Perfect Crime
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster
Budgie - Never Turn Your Back on a Friend
Candlemass - Ancient Dreams
Creeping - Order of Snakes
Danzig - Danzig II: Lucifuge
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Eagle Twin - The Unkindness of Crows
English Dogs - Where Legend Began
Exordium Mors - The Apotheosis of Death
Girlschool - Hit and Run
Headless Chickens - Body Blow (1993 version)
Malachi - Wither to Cover the Tread
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Plasmatics - Coup D'État
Sticky Filth - Nektar der Götter
The House of Capricorn - In the Devil's Days
The Runaways - The Runaways
The Wreckery - Here at Pains Insistence
Wall of Silents - Looking Through Cadaver Eyes
Wax Chattels - Clot

...if not going for variety, just picking ultimate favourites, 1 per band. Saved a spot for my own wacky noise album.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
^^^ that's an interesting list, i'm glad to see something that is distinctly different from usual RC fare at least ^^^

this is almost, but not quite, just another "favorite albums" thread. it is like condensing down your collection to 24 absolute essentials. not the same thing as favorite albums, surprisingly. this time i feel like there needs to be focus on albums that have endless appeal and that i will never ever tire of. i want to pick stuff that i haven't yet fully grasped but feels like it has a lot of depth but i'm scared to waste spots here so probably no prog rock or jazz yet. need to know what the fuck i'm doing first.

agalloch - pale folklore
amorphis - elegy
at the gates - with fear i kiss the burning darkness*
bathory - twilight of the gods*
black sabbath - heaven and hell
bruce dickinson - chemical wedding
burzum - hvis lyset tar oss
dark tranquillity - the mind's i*
emperor - in the nightside eclipse
entombed - left hand path
fates warning - awaken the guardian
forgotten woods - the curse of mankind
in flames - the jester race
in the woods... - omnio
iron maiden - seventh son of a seventh son
judas priest - sad wings of destiny
katatonia - brave murder day
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas
queensrÿche - the warning
skepticism - stormcrowfleet
summoning - stronghold
thergothon - stream from the heavens
tiamat - a deeper kind of slumber
tiamat - the astral sleep (check it out, these guys get TWO albums. they are so different that they might as well be different bands tho)

yeah this is a boring as shit list, i'm sorry. the exact same shit you've all known for twenty years that i like. but i went thru my entire collection on discogs and typed up what i thought were the ABSOLUTE BARE essentials that i will NEVER GET TIRED OF and it turned out to be exactly 24 when i counted them afterwards. so there you go. these are the bare, bare bones of my collection, my dead-ass classics that i never don't want to listen to.

* see here's what i mean, these are not even necessarily my favorite albums of the respective bands, but they are the albums i find myself wanting to listen to the most

Reactions: Ellestin
analysis so far:

everyone except New Guy has at least one agalloch and one in the woods... opinions split on HEart/omnio and pf/mantle but it's clear that those are the only reasonable choices. literally no living creature would bring marrow of the spirit to a desert island. that's how you Know what you're dealing with.

i don't have bergtatt unlike the rest of y'all, despite spending a long-ass time declaring its supremacy at every turn, because while i still love it it has kind of fallen behind for me in the top-whatever-of-forever rankings. i don't always want to listen to it. again, I LOVE IT, but it's a little bit... dare i say it... gimmicky? like it honestly maybe rides the storyline a bit too hard and has a little less meat on the bones than maybe it should have, idk. spending minutes on running thru the snow while scary troll piano plays is all well and good the first twenty times you hear it but... you know

EDIT: and here's why reviewing music is mostly dumb and futile: it takes literally over 20 years of living with an album to be able to REALLY evaluate what it is and what it means and if it's actually Great Art or was just pretending all along

and here's why reviewing music is mostly dumb and futile: it takes literally over 20 years of living with an album to be able to REALLY evaluate what it is and what it means and if it's actually Great Art or was just pretending all along

I agree of course and at the same time consider reviews a stimulating exercise not to carve in stone a "true" and definitive analysis of a record but as a - if you will - historical archive of one's perception at various points in time. Relationship to music can be informed by so many factors, amounts of knowledge, moods, etc., so any review IMO carries the seeds of the subsequent evolution of the reviewer's feelings towards the music, including in some cases a fall from grace. Part of the fun resides in being aware of this and accepting that your opinion, however clever it may appear, can't be trusted universally. Also, revisiting past opinions sometimes yields amusing (or cringeworthy) experiences, which does not mean that the review was "false" at the time of writing or that it was unhelpful and better kept under lock in one's mind.
Overenthusiasm, blatant promotion and writings born of superficial listens are generally easy to detect.

OT: IDK, gotta give the matter some thought. This indeed differs from a sheer best-of list in some respects.

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Akercocke - Choronzon
Apocalypse Orchestra - The End is Nigh
Arcane Sun - s/t
Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle
Clutch - s/t
Dead Can Dance - Wake
Enslaved - Mardraum
Gods Tower - The Eerie
Gods Tower - The Turns
Graveland - Memory and Destiny
Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
I - Between Two Worlds
Ildra - Edelland
In the Woods - Heart of the Ages
Isis - Oceanic
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos
Opeth - Orchid
The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite
Spectral Lore - III
Thurisaz - Circadian Rhythm
Type O Negative - World Coming Down

Not necessarily essentials, but it gives a decent variety for different moods. Plus, a lot of these I want to get to know more deeply, so being alone would give me time.

i don't have bergtatt unlike the rest of y'all, despite spending a long-ass time declaring its supremacy at every turn, because while i still love it it has kind of fallen behind for me in the top-whatever-of-forever rankings. i don't always want to listen to it. again, I LOVE IT, but it's a little bit... dare i say it... gimmicky? like it honestly maybe rides the storyline a bit too hard and has a little less meat on the bones than maybe it should have, idk. spending minutes on running thru the snow while scary troll piano plays is all well and good the first twenty times you hear it but... you know

dude. spot on. I fell out with Bergtatt a long time ago, and in fact, own ZERO Ulver. Its good and highly influential, but it's been surpassed.

Reactions: einride
I agree of course and at the same time consider reviews a stimulating exercise not to carve in stone a "true" and definitive analysis of a record but as a - if you will - historical archive of one's perception at various points in time. Relationship to music can be informed by so many factors, amounts of knowledge, moods, etc., so any review IMO carries the seeds of the subsequent evolution of the reviewer's feelings towards the music, including in some cases a fall from grace. Part of the fun resides in being aware of this and accepting that your opinion, however clever it may appear, can't be trusted universally. Also, revisiting past opinions sometimes yields amusing (or cringeworthy) experiences, which does not mean that the review was "false" at the time of writing or that it was unhelpful and better kept under lock in one's mind.
Overenthusiasm, blatant promotion and writings born of superficial listens are generally easy to detect.

OT: IDK, gotta give the matter some thought. This indeed differs from a sheer best-of list in some respects.
i agree with everything you say and of course your reviews in TCH are the best and i love them all in a gay way. :rolleyes: saying music reviewing is "dumb and futile" is an exaggeration of course, because i read a LOT of reviews in order to figure out what's worth my time. like, if something from 1978 has a 3.9 average on rateyourmusic it's probably got something to it.

it's more the rushed reviewing of new records, or records that are outside of your comfort zone, that i feel is useless. the expectation that people should have something intelligent to say about an album before the hype has died down (with today's attention spans of about 48 hours) is pretty unreasonable. i'd rather wait and see how it plays out. ain't nobody got time to listen to the latest hype train bs.

i mean if i had a webzine, for instance, i would probably focus less on reviewing promos and more on stuff the reviewers care about and feel deserves the exposure :dopey: :dopey: :dopey:

Full disclosure - I physically practiced this exercise by vetting through albums in under 10 mins. Im sure my eyes failed to catch some memorable albums that would be better served on this list if time alloted. Alas, the smoke started to penetrate the fire door, and I had to dip out.

As Erik mentioned, main consideration was replay value and depth. Also wanted to ensure some semblance of variety.

EDIT: and here's why reviewing music is mostly dumb and futile: it takes literally over 20 years of living with an album to be able to REALLY evaluate what it is and what it means and if it's actually Great Art or was just pretending all along
Agreed completely. When I see perfect score albums that were just released 2 weeks prior I question the writer's ability to comprehend art. EDIT: Of course when I'm exploring a new-to-me band what do I rely on first and foremost? Reviews, of course.

However for me Bergtatt just gets better. I started calling that one a True Masterpiece about 5 years ago, I only believe in about 3 albums with that title these days.

Full disclosure - I physically practiced this exercise by vetting through albums in under 10 mins. Im sure my eyes failed to catch some memorable albums that would be better served on this list if time alloted. Alas, the smoke started to penetrate the fire door, and I had to dip out.
I assembled my list in 10 minutes without checking anything, just off the top of me head. I might do a Practice Run and actually run in and grab albums in a "PACK YER SHIT!!" Boondock Saints kind of way, just to see what happens. Case in point: I completely forgot Type O Negative and Enslaved.

Odds are in true panic I'll just grab whatever 25 albums are directly in front of me and then end up with new-era Sepultura and every Sunn O))) release. Gee that'll be fun after 3 months on a desert island.

Last edited:
Eagle Twin - The Unkindness of Crows

Nice to see a fellow Eagle Twin fan. I'm partial to The Feather Tipped The Serpent's Scale, personally. I'm a huge fan of his previous band Iceburn.

I assembled my list in 10 minutes without checking anything, just off the top of me head. I might do a Practice Run and actually run in and grab albums in a "PACK YER SHIT!!" Boondock Saints kind of way, just to see what happens. Case in point: I completely forgot Type O Negative and Enslaved.

Odds are in true panic I'll just grab whatever 25 albums are directly in front of me and then end up with new-era Sepultura and every Sunn O))) release. Gee that'll be fun after 3 months on a desert island.

:lol:

Reactions: Bloopy
Radiohead - Kid A
NIN - The Downward Spiral
Tool - Lateralus
Lagwagon - Trashed
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
Beethoven - Late String Quartets (Takacs Quartet) [Decca]
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Alice In Chains - Unplugged
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Zebulon Pike - II: The Deafening Twilight
David Bowie - The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Between The Buried and Me - Parallax II: The Future Sequence
Maudlin of The Well - Part The Second
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Thinking Plague - In This Life
Wobbler - Hinterland
Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics
Pig Destroyer - Prowler In The Yard
Today Is The Day - Sadness Will Prevail
YOB - Catharsis

Limited it to one album per band. I also kinda cheated as some of these releases are double or triple disc albums. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: einride
analysis so far:

everyone except New Guy has at least one agalloch and one in the woods... opinions split on HEart/omnio and pf/mantle but it's clear that those are the only reasonable choices. literally no living creature would bring marrow of the spirit to a desert island. that's how you Know what you're dealing with.

Interesting that there's some sorta consensus around here, might be like a married couple picking up each other's mannerisms. Those sorts of bands aren't usually my thing but I can definitely get behind the picks of Isis, Entombed, Opeth and others.

Interesting that there's some sorta consensus around here, might be like a married couple picking up each other's mannerisms. Those sorts of bands aren't usually my thing but I can definitely get behind the picks of Isis, Entombed, Opeth and others.

It is an interesting thing to ponder, whether or not many people here like some of the standard RC albums and bands because of this forum, or whether we were drawn to the forum in the first place due to the tastes of people who post here. Or whether it's just a coincidence, or something else entirely. I'm sure it's a combination though, and different for different people. Agalloch, for example, I discovered before I started posting here (which is why I started following The End Records forum that used to be here on UM, which is how I ended up here), but there are many more examples (Isis for example) of bands I discovered directly through this forum.

Reactions: NAD
Updated list if I had my wits about me.

Anathema - Eternity
Agalloch -The Mantle
SubRosa-No Help for the Mighty Ones
Bathory-HammerHeart
Isis-Celestial
Acid Bath-When the Kite String Pops
Blind Guardian-Live (2cd)
Mindrot-Dawning
Thergothon-Streams from the Heavens
Dark Tranquillity-Sky Dancer
Negura Bunget-Om
In the Woods-Heart of the Ages
Helhein-Av Norren Aett
Hammers of Misfortune-The August Engine
Morgion-Solinari
Minsk-Out of a Center Which is Neither Dead or Alive
Neurosis-A Sun That Never Sets
Negura Bunget-Om (So good I listed it I grabbed it twice)
Primordial-Spirit the Earth Aflame
Opeth-Orchid
Ulver-Bergtatt
Summoning-Old Mornings Dawn
Sol Invictus-In a Garden Green
Eucharist- A Velvet Creation

Going for the 1 album per band limit. Also albums that make my soul grimace and knee knock with glee. Albums that have the power to take on a standing army, armed with nothing but a hollowed out coconut as my shield and a palm frond as my sword.