The final RC album recommendation list - what are you missing?

Sexy Little Otter said:
i hope none of you 3 are talking about Hammers of Misfortune. :dopey:

seriously, i don't care what kind of music you like or dislike, the album is THAT good that i can't fathom anyone not enjoying it. seriously. it's mostly associated with trad. metal, and i don't even like trad. metal so there goes that theory.

Oh, their trad metal. Well there went my curiousity.

Thanatopsis123 said:
It started out cool, then got pretty gay, then ended alright. Overall, it would be better with no vocals, but still, I'm not a fan of that middle section.

I coulda told you that you wouldn't like it.

The Bastard was OK, hardly anything memorable, though. It's just so non-descript, it's hard to absolutely hate it.

Essential CDs I don't own:

Bathory - Hammerheart - no comment.
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss - never heard it, doubt I'd like it.
Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves - need to get my hands on this.
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi - I own their last three and have this on MP3. Need to give it a listen.
Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet - I own "Kivenkantaja", still on the fence with this one.
Ulver - Bergtatt - no thanks.
Negura Bunget - n crugu bradului - I'll revisit this one.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
These 13 albums define the RC "must have" list:
Agalloch - Pale Folklore 14
Bathory - Hammerheart 10
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora 1
Hammers of Misfortune - the august engine 7
Moonsorrow - verisäkeet 7
Opeth - Morningrise 6
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame 7
Negura Bunget - n crugu bradului 11

hmm, so i have these 8 of the 13, and know most of the other ones. The Enslaved is the one ive heard the least, as in once, and only the first song.

General Zod said:
Essential Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet - I own "Kivenkantaja", still on the fence with this one.

Zod, for Kivenkantaja, skip over the first track and listen to the rest of the album to get a better feel for Moonsorrow. I'm not a fan at all of the first track and feel it is wholly unrepresentative of the band to a large degree.

Given that most of their songs are quite long in length, I could see you getting bored with that track and being disinterested enough not to give the rest of it a serious listen. I feel that the Kivenkantaja album is sandwiched between their two best albums as well, though it's still pretty damn good.

Jason

Erik said:
You do not like Bathory -- don't even bother. This post saved you $12.
LOL. Thanks.

Dark One said:
Zod, for Kivenkantaja, skip over the first track and listen to the rest of the album to get a better feel for Moonsorrow. I'm not a fan at all of the first track and feel it is wholly unrepresentative of the band to a large degree.
Will do.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
(Thanks Claws of Perdition for the tally).

These 13 albums define the RC "must have" list:

Agalloch - Pale Folklore 14
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora 17
Empyrium - (tied) Songs of Moors and Misty Fields, Weiland 6
Moonsorrow - verisäkeet 7
Opeth - Morningrise 6
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame 7
Ulver - Bergtatt 12
Negura Bunget - n crugu bradului 11

Have these . The others I know and I don't plan to get the ones I might be interested in soon.

I guess some of you missed the point of the poll.

J. said:
The Bastard was OK, hardly anything memorable, though. It's just so non-descript

What?? "Non-descript"? :lol:

So let's see....The Bastard is a three chapter concept album, ranging across multiple genres: (black, doom, trad, prog), four different vocal styles (grim, clean, female, choirs)...packed to the hilt with emotion, especially in those riffs....my good goat, those riffs....

etc.

So, moving on then: whether people like this final list or not, it is representative of this forum (at least on AGGREGATE) because each band received no less than 15 votes to get to the final round.

What's peculiar though is how people say "I don't own 8 of those albums and neither do I have any desire to check them out". With all seriousness, why? What more of a recommendation do you need? As a fan of music, shouldn't you inherenly always be on the look out for new material?

Personally speaking, I go with recommendations on this forum more so than any random review. That was the whole point of this exercise, to decide the unanimois "must have" list. And me likey.

In fact, I'll probably buy that D666 blind. :cool:

Erik said:
Jay, you need to recognize when J. is blatantly trolling

He's not very good at it

Do you think?

markgugs said:
I only said I wouldn't ever bother with Empyrium, simply because I have before I hated it then.

I guess I'm talking more about Snow2Fall, Ellestin, Rensei, and Thanaptosis123: "I've only heard 3 of them and have no intention to check out the rest" sort of thing. Just odd considering the amount of time spent on this forum discussing music.

If 15 or more people hailed a band on this forum, I would at least check out a sample!

Everything else, Drudkh specifically, I'm anxious to check out.

Regarding Empyrium, I'd be surprised if you didn't like "Songs of Moors...". Their last two, yeah, I can tell you with ease to avoid them like the plague.

Drudkh's "Autumn Aurora" may not actually be your cup of tea. It's influenced somewhat by Burzum and early Ulver, perhaps a tad of Summoning. I dunno....check samples first!

I have these:

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Bathory - Hammerheart
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Empyrium - Songs of Moors and Misty Fields
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Opeth - Morningrise
Ulver - Bergtatt

I plan on getting the Primordial album, at least, and the Empyrium I miss. I don't care for bands such as Moonsorrow and Hammers of Misfortune, so I won't be getting those. I have one Negurã album, and I never listen to it, so I doubt I'll bother with this one.

JayKeeley said:
I guess I'm talking more about Snow2Fall, Ellestin, Rensei, and Thanaptosis123: "I've only heard 3 of them and have no intention to check out the rest" sort of thing

Jay you have to reread our posts. At least Snow & I didn't write "no intention to check" but "no intention to get". Never mind :)