Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Moonsorrow - verisäkeet
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame
I don't have these, but:

*I've come to love Deströyer 666
*that Primordial album is quite good and I should pick it up
*Enslaved kick my dick in, but I'm not entirely sold on their early shit
*still haven't heard Moonsorrow.

From this list, Autumn Aurora is probably my favorite. Fucking stellar album, listened to it a few weeks ago for the first time in ages. What a monster. Bergtatt and The August Engine are frickin' 10/10 BUY OR DIE though. Can't choose, clown'll eat me... can't choose, clown'll eat me...
Well i've listened to "Vikingligr Veldi" and "Frost" .. and didn't find anything special. Maybe i should try other albums but i'm busy right now listening to better bands :)
You have a good avatar. Go listen to Monumension.

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Bathory - Hammerheart
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Destroyer 666 - Unchain the wolves
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Hammers of Misfortune - the august engine
Moonsorrow - verisäkeet
Negura Bunget - n crugu bradului

I have and love all of these.

Empyrium - (tied) Songs of Moors and Misty Fields, Weiland

I have MP3s and want to buy these as I can afford them.

Ulver - Bergtatt

Ulver doesn't do much for me most of the time. Other times it's pretty good. I dunno.

Opeth - Morningrise

Never gotten around to listening to Opeth much. Better change that before the Opeth concert coming up soon :p

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Bathory - Hammerheart
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Opeth - Morningrise
Ulver - Bergtatt

Man, I totally own all the ones WORTH owning! Uhhr, except one, it seems. I beter get around to purchasing that Primordial album, but I got fed up with them pretty soon, so it's hard to say when it's gonna happen...

For the passerby: these BANDS were shortlisted in previous polls after receiving 15 votes (or more) by RC regulars. The ALBUMS listed are simply those that got the most number of votes for the corresponding aforementioned artists.

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Bathory - Hammerheart
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Moonsorrow - verisäkeet
Opeth - Morningrise
Ulver - Bergtatt

Usual suspects such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Queensryche, Black Sabbath, early Metallica, etc were not included in the polls. Those are just assumed milestone accomplishments at this point in the history of metal.

I think this is more or less a pretty good encapsulation of what the forum was fawning over back in the good ole days. What's missing? How many of these do you still own and listen to? Do we have to add Vemod now?

I think Orphaned Land needs to be on here as Mabool was highly praised here when it came out. I listened through it tonight and it's still great. Nokturnal Mortum should probably also be on the list because I recall a pretty universal buzz over Weltanschauung at the time. I also remember Drudkh - Autumn Aurora, Negura Bunget - 'N Crugu Bradului, Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness, and both Moonsorrow and Hammers of Misfortune generally being massively hyped. I actually liked The Bastard a lot more than The August Engine. I also remember a lot of hype for Isis and Neurosis though I never really listened to either.

I don't really get the Bathory, Burzum, or early Enslaved (maybe later stuff like Isa) being on this list because they would make more sense in the "usual suspects" category JK named below. Early Ulver should probably be in that same category. The above list should be centered around stuff that wasn't classic yet but was hyped by RC when it came out.

I think I own, or soon will (re)own, music by 11 of those 13 bands.

Hammers is the only band on that list that never made an impression on me. It's a damn good list.

all but Hammers, here

own all but burzum, d666, empyrium, hammers, and ulver these days

i dont know why i dont own burzum or ulver. I'm a false.

empyrium never hit me as hard as all you fanbois. its good, but not essential.

d666 is ok. not my thang.

hammers lol. give me Slough Feg

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Bathory - Hammerheart
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Moonsorrow - verisäkeet
Opeth - Morningrise
Ulver - Bergtatt
Funny, these days this could be a list of my BEST ALBUMS EVAR. With two exceptions:

*I don't think Unchain the Wolves is very good. I vastly prefer Terror Abraxas.

i have all of those except hammers of misfortune because i don't think they're that good

I rarely reach for Moonsorrow these days but I know I could stick any of the first 5 albums on and enjoy the shit out of them. That last one though did nothing for me whatsoever, gave it repeated listens and just absolutely nothing.

i know i sound like an awful tryhard saying it but HONESTLY the best moonsorrow i've heard is still the second demo, tämä ikuinen talvi

most of the later stuff is just so super overwrought

i know i sound like an awful tryhard saying it but HONESTLY the best moonsorrow i've heard is still the second demo, tämä ikuinen talvi

most of the later stuff is just so super overwrought

Gugs is selling it here: https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1155240008

I didnt find it too great or too bad. It's there.

For me they topped out at Voimasta and Kivenkantaja. But then, yeah...overwrought

own all but burzum, d666, empyrium, hammers, and ulver these days

i dont know why i dont own burzum or ulver. I'm a false.

empyrium never hit me as hard as all you fanbois. its good, but not essential.

d666 is ok. not my thang.

hammers lol. give me Slough Feg

Almost $15 more than it was last year:

https://centurymedia.store/product/...1997-reissue-2019-limited-4cd-box-set?cp=null

Though broadly respected, I don't remember Empyrium being hyped as much (maybe because Weiland had been out for a couple years). I think I learned about that album on this forum though and it remains one of my favorites to this day. I spent many nights in grad school listening to that album and reading books.