re-amping with a pod HD pro?

A

Andruciver

So I have a pod HD pro and id like to use it because when bands send me their tracks to mix/master/whatever they send me direct signals and I have this nice piece of equipment just collecting dust. Thing is, is how can I? If I have to get a re-amp box, which is the one to get for the best price?

I'd keep it in the box personally. Podfarm or Whatever amp sim you dig, through recabinet or different cab sim. Not that the pod is terrible but by the time you run cables and shit i can't imagine it sounding "better" than what is now available in the box.

Hope this helps.

I second this! I've been having mine for a few months and its been working great!

All you need to do is run the DI track through an output on your interface to the reamp box then into the pod and have the pod connected to an input on your interface. Quite simple.

I will also say that the pod HD pro will be infinitely better than pod farm or anything else in the box if you know how to use it.

Using different cab impulses in the box would not be a bad idea however

I just bought an HD500 last night and tried reamping straight from my Saffire 6 output to the input HD500 (no reamp box). I also recorded the same thing from guitar->HD500->Saffire. When switching between the tracks I did not hear any noticeable difference. Granted I did not have the monitors turned up due to my daughter sleeping, but I did not get any noise issues or hear any tone degredation when reamping straight from my interface. Your results may vary, but try it first and see.

Agreed it would sound "better" than podfarm, but I still think that learning what you have is key. I'd rather learn to get great guitar tones in the box than messing around with a pod setup like that just for simplicity because the differences aren't much more than differences. I'm not sure i'm ready to say that i'd rather have an in the box setup over a real amp, cabinet and mic. But you know, I think the ultimate setup right now for tone / simplicity is a real amp head into an impulse loader like recabinet.

You can do this by multiple ways. Use S/PDIF for something easy and quick if your interface has the connections available. You can also use the POD as interface via USB which would be essentially the same, you just route the I/O like you would with S/PDIF. These are the "better" options IMO because your not running through additional AD/DA. You can also do it the traditional way by simply taking an out from your interface into a reamp box and plugging it in the input of the POD which is then plugged back into one of your interfaces inputs. You can disable the cabs in the POD HD too, enabling you to use something like Recabinet.

I'd keep it in the box personally. Podfarm or Whatever amp sim you dig, through recabinet or different cab sim. Not that the pod is terrible but by the time you run cables and shit i can't imagine it sounding "better" than what is now available in the box.

Agreed it would sound "better" than podfarm, but I still think that learning what you have is key. I'd rather learn to get great guitar tones in the box than messing around with a pod setup like that just for simplicity because the differences aren't much more than differences. I'm not sure i'm ready to say that i'd rather have an in the box setup over a real amp, cabinet and mic. But you know, I think the ultimate setup right now for tone / simplicity is a real amp head into an impulse loader like recabinet.

I have a POD HD Pro and although i don't use it that much for reamps because i have real amps and the ability to crank them, i don't see no reason why he shouldn't use the Hardware POD. For one, the hands on approach vs ITB has always been a better learning experience for me, i much prefer turning physical knobs than staring at a computer screen twiddling virtual knobs with the mouse. This is a preference thing though, but i find it prevents you from looking numbers and graphics and focus more on how things sound, like using a real amp. You can work much faster too IMO because you can tweak multiple things simultaneously or on the fly without needing to have it on screen. I am not bashing ITB or saying the hardware is better, both ways are capable of getting good results. I just don't agree with saying ITB is a better way to learn. The only difference is ITB is cheaper to get into, but one way is not better or worse than the other to learn from, they're both sims. In fact i think you would probably learn more by using the hardware because your learning to route and use the equipment you do have. It's not like he's buying an HD Pro to replace POD Farm, he already has the hardware so might as well get into it and use it. You yourself said "I still think that learning what you have is key" ;)

I Agree with everything you are saying, and i took this thread in the wrong direction. I was simply talking as a pod owner and experience with it that once i stopped using it and trying other things i never looked back on the pod. I definitely didn't mean to say "ITB is a better way to learn" and looking back it sounds dumb, I meant that you can get a good tone with either if you work with them so use what you like. Enjoy the pod, it is a good piece of gear.

soooooooooo here's whats up.

1. i read the manual and didn't really find anything on re-amping.
2. i checked out those DIY boxes and i concluded that i will get that last resort.
3. i need a run down on how i can make this happen haha

i have a bands already pre-recorded DI signals as wavs that i'd like to use the pod for re-amping. i'm using the pod HD pro as an interface via usb connection with a 1/4" out via headphone jack into my speakers, and i also have a spare gx (if that even helps) and i'm using REAPER as a DAW.

i'm told that you can still make this happen without anything extra?

i'm just confused as to where to even begin... :/

Alright, this is actually pretty easy (especially considering I did this the other day).
The POD HD Pro has a line in on the back, that means you don't need to go through the big mess of getting a reamp box for now (because you should save for having real amps, when money and space allows). All you simply do is connect a TRS cable from a line out of your interface or converter, connect it into the line-in jack on the back of the unit. Then, you have connect the output back into a line-in.

Alright, this is actually pretty easy (especially considering I did this the other day).
The POD HD Pro has a line in on the back, that means you don't need to go through the big mess of getting a reamp box for now (because you should save for having real amps, when money and space allows). All you simply do is connect a TRS cable from a line out of your interface or converter, connect it into the line-in jack on the back of the unit. Then, you have connect the output back into a line-in.

even though i am using the pod as my audio interface?

even though i am using the pod as my audio interface?

erg, you're right, that's where things become tricky. I forgot about that detail. If you had a separate interface or converter like I do, you would be able to do what I said. If you only run the POD, though, then that method won't work. But at the same time, you also won't manage to use a reamp box doing that either. All you'll get is feedback. What you need is an interface with good converters.

so you don't think i can even run it with a re-amp box?

that's what i was thinking

either way, it's all very uninspiring nonetheless

i don't understand why it has to be difficult! haha