Re-record Tonight's Decision

Kirkfjell

Sep 2, 2003
Brämhult, Sweden
Visit site
I'm sure this has been up for discussion before, but strangely couldn't find any threads on this matter when I searched for it.

Anyway, who else think that the band should re-record Tonight's Decision? I think what speaks for a new take on the material is pretty obvious:

1. Jonas singing has improved so much over the years it's not even funny.
2. The production on TD is kinda "thin". I just keep imagining it with the depth and textures of Night is the New Day.
3. Daniels drumming could do wonders to the songs.

At least it would be great to hear a couple of tracks from the album re-recorded. My favourite candidates: Had to (Leave), I am Nothing, Nightmares by the Sea, A Darkness Coming, For My Demons ...

/FK

First thought: wut?

Nooo...

1. True - but he has his very own wonderful charm on DO and TD.
2. Nonsense. The guitar tone is very, very thick for such a not-so-much heavy album. Get vinyl and good speakers. or something?
3. There I too disagree.. more eloquent drumming wouldn't fit.

The original album is fine....sorry but this is never a good idea... remember when people started suggesting Opeth should re-record Morningrise cause of the "bad production"? *massive facepalm*

First thought: wut?

Nooo...

1. True - but he has his very own wonderful charm on DO and TD.
2. Nonsense. The guitar tone is very, very thick for such a not-so-much heavy album. Get vinyl and good speakers. or something?
3. There I too disagree.. more eloquent drumming wouldn't fit.

i totally agree.

whats done is done, it's part of its charm

re-recording things is a bad idea imo, if it were recorded and everything was perfect it would lose part of what made it special

over-production kills things.........but maybe i feel that way cause i love Black Metal

Jonas' voice is very suitable with that album. Production is above average and it gives you the feeling importantly. The last of all Dan fekkin Swano has handled the drums on that one quite well... It's actually my fave Kata album as it is now.

re-record albums? sure we have fooled around with the idea, but the reasons not to do it are obviously a thousand more...
however re-mixing albums is a completely different matter and i'd be glad to re-mix tonights decision. actually, this was even brought up and discussed a while back since 2009 would have been the 10th anniversary for that record, but peaceville changed their plans....
talking about it, i'd also love to re-mix viva emptiness as i feel the songs always deserved a better production.... was never happy...
the only album that got a well deserved facelift was the peaceville edition of brave murder. the original avantagarde and century media version was never mastered, so this one isn't even re-masted, it's just mastered.... finally hah! a re-mix wouldn't have hurt either... but there's one album i absolutely wouldn't touch in any way - last fair deal gone down, it simply can not be improved.

talking about it, i'd also love to re-mix viva emptiness as i feel the songs always deserved a better production..... but there's one album i absolutely wouldn't touch in any way - last fair deal gone down, it simply can not be improved.

I think a Viva Emptiness remix would probably be the best option. Not that it's poor production, but it seems like such an important step for you guys venturing into the really heavier dark, rich, more complex riff based songs. I do like the distortion sound on VE, though. It's almost hipnotic in a really buzzy staticy way. It almost sounds like a higher pitched distortion. Anyways... just my $.02

Woah re-mix VE of all albums? Maybe not a popular opinion but the guitar tone on that album is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. It sounds so aggressive, oppressive and chaotic. Heavy heavy sound, I really liked it and felt it fit in very well.