Re-releases/compilations of the year?

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
So we always make a top ten of new albums every year. What about the re-releases?

I don't have many, but these are the ones I've picked up this year:

Negura Music Sampler #4

really cool sampler with a bunch of neat stuff. I think I got heckled here for saying that the Atrox song on it was cool.

Negura Bunget - 3CD re-issue Box

I admit that the slipcase could have been nicer, seeing that it was just a piece of folded and glued piece of cardboard, but the poster is nice and the new art theme on the jewel cases are nice too. Plus it saved me all the trouble of having to track down all of Negura's releases individually, bonus points for that.

Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday

CD version of their demo and first 7". It would have been nice if they included their side of the Worship/Stabat Mater split 10" and the Worship/Mournful Congregation 7" as well, but I suppose they can only fit so much onto a CD. In any case the demo was only available on cassette and an extremely limited vinyl version, so the CD release is much apprieciated. The only problem is that this re-release was limited to 500 copies. Perhaps Weird Truth Productions will re-release it again sometime.

Nasheim - Evighet/Undergång

Undergång will probably be on my top 10 list this year, or at least mentioned as a noteworthy release. Everyone here knows about this release so I can tell you that it rules without further explaination

Taake/Thule - Helnorsk Svartmetall Split

I kind of expected more from this but its still a good release. They're demos so the production value is kinda expected to be in the shitter, but if you can get past that there's some pretty good music there.

Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi/Hordanes Land

This re-release is a great value considering that you get Vikingligr and Hordanes land for the price of a regular CD. The booklet is kinda shitty though, seeing that they included pictures of every band member who has ever played in Enslaved and not just the ones who contributed to the album and the EP, furthermore the pictures are newer pictures and not from the era when the album was made. That said, the new cover art is still pretty cool although it would have been nice if they kept true to the original DSP art.

Katatonia - Brave Yester Years

Probably the BEST re-release of the year and I was highly anticipating it myself. It has basically all you could want in a best-of/rarities compilation. The complete Jhva Elohim Meth demo, select tracks from the Dance of December Souls, two tracks from the WAR compilation Vol. I, For Funerals To Come EP, select tracks from Brave Murder Day, Sounds of Decay EP, an unreleased instrumental track, and the Saw You Drown EP. Undeniably the essential early Katatonia all packaged in a classy double digipack. A compilation For collectors and people new to Katatonia alike, all at the price of a normal CD.

Nirvana - With The Lights Out

Tons of unreleased stuff, all the great B-sides, a killer DVD, nice packaging, blah blah everything for the hardcore fan, not set up for the average consumer.

NicodemiX said:
Negura Bunget - 3CD re-issue Box

Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday

Nasheim - Evighet/Undergång

Taake/Thule - Helnorsk Svartmetall Split

Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi/Hordanes Land

All of the above I agree with. The Negura Bunget box set is absolutely neccessary... as are the other ones.

hmmmm, I'd have to go back and look at what re-releases I bought this year, other than Nasheim, 'cause I don't have any of those others.

I am looking forward to the Mayhemic Truth re-release

Neither do I, I fucking wish I did... I meant neccessary in the sense that it was a great idea to release it.

Well, I do own From Transylvanian Forests, Zirnindu-Sa, Sala Molksa, Maiastru Sfetnic and 'n Crugu Bradului so I don't really feel like I want to pay that much for a poster anyway (DAMMIT WHERE'S MY NEGURÃ SHRT!!!?!=!?=#)(&&!"#()?!/"#(=)"!)

Yeah I only have N' Crugu.... and that reminds me, I have to order that shirt from Ledo Takas. Its gonna be 30 USD total, but its fuckin worth it.

I ordered and paid for the original Negura releases, but after they didn't show up for 6 months I bought the box thingy. So I like it, but the situation leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Pyrus said:
The re-release of Violence's Oppressing the Masses with the even harder to find Torture Tactics EP tacked on was definitely awesome.
The fuck? I thought they were rereleasing Eternal Nightmare? And there ain't nothing on the website about it...fuck me, I totally missed that :mad:

Best compilation: Fenriz Presents...The Best Of Old-School Black Metal. Took it to work with me today, actually :cool:

There's also that Fenriz Presents: The Best of Old School Black Metal Comp. from Peaceville floating around but I haven't heard that yet. As I recall Erik made a really positive review for it.

I have the Negura Bunget box, ordered it from Romania. Took three weeks for my payment to get there, one week for my stuff to get to me. Weird.

The poster is now hanging on my wall. I also have the originals of Sala Molksa and Zirnindu-Sa and the 'N Crugu Bradului box. I should order a shirt but I'm too impatient for them shits.

I also intend to buy that Enslaved album one of these days, nice little release there. Haven't been keeping up with re-releases/whatnot recently, I've been drowning in the normal 2004 releases.

That's where I ordered my stuff. It's trustworthy if anyone is wondering, though it took a good while. [common sense]I'd probably make sure to register not only your letter, but to have him register your package too. [/common sense]