Re-visiting Arch Enemy

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I've made it a point this year to check out some of the newer metal bands that have garnered a lot of praise; the kinds of bands I might normally write off for whatever reason. One of these is Machine Head. Having read so many positive reviews of The Blackening I gave it a go a few months back and have listened to it (and the previous album) about 100 times since....great, great stuff.

Anyway, I also decided to re-try Arch Enemy. I had picked up Doomsday Machine a year ago or so, and liked it, but wasn't utterly thrilled by it. I recently got Anthems of Rebellion and Wages of Sin, and holy shyte...I must be listening with fresh ears I guess, but this is no novelty band. Killer riffs, catchy tunes, and Angela (who I initially wrote off as a clever marketing scheme) is the real deal.

To top this all off, these two bands will be playing in SF in October, and I couldn't be more excited.

Anyway, Arch Enemy, well worth a listen. I'm diggin' it.

I've made it a point this year to check out some of the newer metal bands that have garnered a lot of praise; the kinds of bands I might normally write off for whatever reason. One of these is Machine Head. Having read so many positive reviews of The Blackening I gave it a go a few months back and have listened to it (and the previous album) about 100 times since....great, great stuff.

Anyway, I also decided to re-try Arch Enemy. I had picked up Doomsday Machine a year ago or so, and liked it, but wasn't utterly thrilled by it. I recently got Anthems of Rebellion and Wages of Sin, and holy shyte...I must be listening with fresh ears I guess, but this is no novelty band. Killer riffs, catchy tunes, and Angela (who I initially wrote off as a clever marketing scheme) is the real deal.

To top this all off, these two bands will be playing in SF in October, and I couldn't be more excited.

Anyway, Arch Enemy, well worth a listen. I'm diggin' it.

Dude, Arch Enemy is one of my absolute favorite bands. I never write about them here because most people here are not into them. Yesterday I bought their latest album and its fantastic!! Maybe their best ever.

I rated it a 89 in my Aardschok review. But I have the feeling that within a month of so the album will have even grown more on me.

I hope to see them live on the 20th of November in Amsterdam, together with Machine Head btw :), and I can't wait!! They are at the moment on the very top of my 'must see' list. The second band on that list is Chicago's Novembers Doom.

Arch Enemy is a great band - musically anyways (owing mostly to the fact that Gus G. joined them for ozzfest a few years ago). If they got rid of the growling and got a melodic singer, I'm sure a lot more people here would listen.

They have a lot of talent.

I do like the band, but I'm not thrilled with her vocals. They bore me. I downloaded the new album in early August and it didn't do much for me. I love the riffs and the music, but I don't find anything catchy about the vocals. Pretty one-dimensional IMO.

I definitely like Machine Head and Novembers Doom. Good bands, and great new albums...

Amott has been in better bands IMO.

Still its nice when you can tune into an album that didnt give you buzz originally, good for you Wiz.

Amott has been in better bands IMO.

Still its nice when you can tune into an album that didnt give you buzz originally, good for you Wiz.

Sometimes my first instincts are right on....I pretty much know what I like. Then again, there are alot of bands and albums I didn't like the first time I heard them.

Anyway, the new Arch Enemy (which I picked up today) is great too. Heavy, great stuff...

Dude, Arch Enemy is one of my absolute favorite bands. I never write about them here because most people here are not into them. Yesterday I bought their latest album and its fantastic!! Maybe their best ever.

I rated it a 89 in my Aardschok review. But I have the feeling that within a month of so the album will have even grown more on me.

I hope to see them live on the 20th of November in Amsterdam, together with Machine Head btw :), and I can't wait!! They are at the moment on the very top of my 'must see' list. The second band on that list is Chicago's Novembers Doom.

COOL! I think we agreed on that Machine Head record too. I know you are a true old-schooler at heart Hawk, so it's nice to know I'm not alone on this. That is, I'm an, 'older dude,' and so am rooted in Maiden etc., but I try to be open-minded on new stuff. A lot I can't get into, but I've discovered stuff of late (Mastodon, Machine Head, Arch Enemy) that I freakin' love. The Machine Head/Arch Enemy show here is Oct. 12th. I'll let you know how it is.

I do like the band, but I'm not thrilled with her vocals. They bore me. I downloaded the new album in early August and it didn't do much for me. I love the riffs and the music, but I don't find anything catchy about the vocals. Pretty one-dimensional IMO.
Arch Enemy is a great band - musically anyways (owing mostly to the fact that Gus G. joined them for ozzfest a few years ago). If they got rid of the growling and got a melodic singer, I'm sure a lot more people here would listen.

They have a lot of talent.

I guess everything got summarized for me already. Love the music until somebody opens the mouth...and there goes the glamour! Do they have karaoke versions of the albums? :lol:

NP: Iced Earth - 'Something Wicked part 1'

COOL! I think we agreed on that Machine Head record too. I know you are a true old-schooler at heart Hawk, so it's nice to know I'm not alone on this.

I have to correct that. I am not a old schooler at heart at all. Although I like the bands of the 80s and 90s a lot, most of my favorite band are from the mid 90s and later.

My favorite band is Nevermore and then follow Arch Enemy, Symphony X, Children of Bodom, Novembers Doom, Cea Serin, Zero Hour, Outworld, Communic, Daath, Into Eternity, Sieges Even, Lethal, Mercenary, OHM, Pagans Mind, Seventh Wonder, Twisted Into Form and many others.

Some of the old school bands I like are:

Exodus, they KILL since they have enlisted Rob Dukes!! That man is the only valid replacement for Paul Baloff as far as I am concerned.

Sacred Oath, a great band who's last album 'Darkness Visible' is really wonderful!

And Icarus Witch who's style I really like.

I guess its a common assumption for those that know me and thus my age that I should like old school the best.

And don't get me wrong; I do like old school metal but not as much as the music from this era. I really think that at this moment metal is sounding better than ever.

Bang on!! :headbang:

I'm a lock for an interview slot with Sharlee D'Angelo this Tuesday. Can't wait. The new album just arrived in my mailbox...
I read that this is a return to the early era Arch Enemy? Is that true?
I probably won't get around to hearing this album until next week.
You should see the amount of cds that arrived this week...

I'm a lock for an interview slot with Sharlee D'Angelo this Tuesday. Can't wait. The new album just arrived in my mailbox...
I read that this is a return to the early era Arch Enemy? Is that true?
I probably won't get around to hearing this album until next week.
You should see the amount of cds that arrived this week...

It is a bit of a return to Wages of Sin era, but is most accurately described (I think) as a cross between Wages and Doomsday - so, old and new together. It works. It's heavier than Doomsday Machine to my ears. It's really good too, for what that's worth.

I caught the band a couple of years ago and just downloaded the new album off iTunes.

Definitely :kickass: :headbang: :) stuff, though not for everyone.

The new album is impressive, this band always puts out quality guitar work on their albums, even though their singer is an acquired taste. I think Angela should of continued to use overdubs on her vocals like on Doomsday Machine, because she sounded better that way. Other than that this bands continues to work hard on their music, and the Ammots continue to make some of the most outstanding melodies and guitar solos in the metal world today.