Real Amps, Real Drums, Real Heavy

Do you has stems, oh wait, raw tracks, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems.

Anyways awesome track, band pl0x. sounds amazing.

sounds great man! what kind of eq do you have on the guitars?

also whats the band name?

Do you has stems, oh wait, raw tracks, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems, oh wait, i mean raw tracks, oh wait, i mean stems.

Got ourselves a real comedian here.

Awesome mix, not too fond of some of the aesthetics (verb on vocals, snare, and that's about it) but to each his own, overall great job.

Thanks everyone!

I actually did very minimal eq to the guitars. Mainly some surgical cuts, but the main thing I did to acquire massivness is used 'phase as eq'.... Put it simply, I use a few phase tricks with the 4 guitar tracks to get the sound I've got.

I do indeed have raw files bounced for this to those of you interested.

Never liked your old stuff... Sorry! This is miles and miles better though. Reminds me of Josh Schroeder's (sp?) stuff. The snare is really cool - steel? Compressing OHs much?

Only on mac speakers so can't comment too much on the mix but I would automate more... dynamics are a bit flat. Scoop toms too. 200hz and 600hz are just junk for toms in this style. Great other than that dude!

"phase as eq"? wtf is that?

sounds great btw.

Using the phase cancellation between 2 or more mics to EQ the guitars.

I'm assuming anyway that's what he means anyway. The technique is synonymous with Bob Rock and the Black Album. Apparently there is little post EQ on that record but instead the EQing is done by the phase cancellation between the mics.

Those vocals really get on my nerves. It's just the performance style, nothing about the mix. Everything sounds really good to me. If anything I might bring the high-end on the guitars up a TINY bit to match the nice sibilance of the drums. I would be interested in the raw files, personally...

Never liked your old stuff... Sorry! This is miles and miles better though. Reminds me of Josh Schroeder's (sp?) stuff. The snare is really cool - steel? Compressing OHs much?

Only on mac speakers so can't comment too much on the mix but I would automate more... dynamics are a bit flat. Scoop toms too. 200hz and 600hz are just junk for toms in this style. Great other than that dude!

Thanks.

I'm not compressing the OH's that much to be honest. The only thing I'm really smashing is a few parallel compressors that I have running.

Mix isn't done yet. I have yet to automate stuff. That's a whole project in itself.

I like the toms the way they are though :) I like when a giant tom roll comes and just swallows the mix. Shit turns me on.

Using the phase cancellation between 2 or more mics to EQ the guitars.

I'm assuming anyway that's what he means anyway. The technique is synonymous with Bob Rock and the Black Album. Apparently there is little post EQ on that record but instead the EQing is done by the phase cancellation between the mics.

Oh I see, never saw the expression "phase as eq" before, I wouldn't even call it EQ, it's just something I would normally do with multiple mics I guess, never really saw it as a special thing

really good track. Guitars and bass sound really glued. Snare sound could be more "in your face".

I would really appreciate raw tracks of this. Would be sth different than the usual tracks of this genre with programmed drums.

Oh I see, never saw the expression "phase as eq" before, I wouldn't even call it EQ, it's just something I would normally do with multiple mics I guess, never really saw it as a special thing

Not talking just moving faders here. There are certain sweet spots where if you move one track a single sample rate, it will give you a tone. Not that special, but it's involving time and using certain nulls to your advantage rather than just adding shit artifacts to the source with EQ. Sometimes I use it, sometimes not.. Just depends. I feel that it doesn't just help with eq.. but it really adds a cool depth to it.

sounds pretty good... i have my doubts on the SNR being 100% legit REAL, straight from the mic (processing doesn't count, that's natural)... but otherwise...

Vocal sound is VERY distracting. Love the dudes voice and style, but I could tell you used some type of budget LDC (sounds like an A.T. LDC, to me) and are WAYYY too heavily compressed...yeah it brings out the room in a cool way, but this room in particular doesn't sound good to me. sounds AMAZING and very fitting in the more 'trippy' parts but as a main vocal, it just sits there like a rubber band.

cool fucking band.

oh and, all IMHO...

sounds pretty good... i have my doubts on the SNR being 100% legit REAL, straight from the mic (processing doesn't count, that's natural)... but otherwise...

Vocal sound is VERY distracting. Love the dudes voice and style, but I could tell you used some type of budget LDC (sounds like an A.T. LDC, to me) and are WAYYY too heavily compressed...yeah it brings out the room in a cool way, but this room in particular doesn't sound good to me. sounds AMAZING and very fitting in the more 'trippy' parts but as a main vocal, it just sits there like a rubber band.

cool fucking band.

oh and, all IMHO...

Thanks Charles. The snare is indeed 100% real. There are no samples blended in any of the drums other than the kick. What I did do is a bunch of parallel tracks to the snare that were very very drastically processed in different ways. I think the single snare actually ended up being split into 4-5 different tracks.

As for the vocals. That's very subjective. The vocalist wanted a very particular sound, and apparently I executed it the exact way he was looking for. It's not as much compressed as it is saturated. In fact, I only have about -3 db of gain reduction average on my compressor and am just barely kissing it with an l2. Other than that, I threw a little izotope trash on the vox, last in the chain.. Idk. I love the way they sound and so does the vocalist. The main thing he wanted was for his own space. He wanted the music to sound fucking massive and the vocals to sound in your face but more roomy and literally in it's own space.. Not sure why. I guess it's a vision of sorts to him but that explains that. :Smokedev:

Hmm. Mixed rather hot !!! Im getting a lot of clipping. What levels are you at before the L1 ?

Oddly enough this was bounced at -8RMS, but I accidently left the master fader up about 1 db, so hence the clipping. Other than that, there is no clipping in it.