Reamp once again

metalizer

www.transparent-metal.com
Mar 11, 2005
Denmark
www.transparent-metal.com
For some reason i had overlooked the threads on this subject until yesterday, and i must say this technique has truly been a revalation.Can someone explain what happens after you have recorded a guitar track direct,how is the reamp connected to the amp that you want to feed the signal back into? and how is it connected to your soundcard?(is it through the main outs on the soundcard into the reamp and from the reamp to the normal input on the amp?)

How it works with my setup is that I have the direct signal coming out of my M Audio 1010 on output number seven into my Radial X-Amp, from the X-Amp I use a short guitar cable (don't remember the length) to go into my TS-808, and another short cable out of the 808 into the amp. It's pretty easy to do.

I know it would be easier to just buy the damn thing, but i can't afford it at the moment.I have +4 outputs on my Motu896 can't i just send the signal directly from my outs on the soundcard to the in on the guitar amp? Are there other ways to reamp besides using the reamp box ?

As i recall the reampbox brings the line-out signal to the correct input level for the guitaramp. Am i right or completely wrong?

metalizer said:
I know it would be easier to just buy the damn thing, but i can't afford it at the moment.I have +4 outputs on my Motu896 can't i just send the signal directly from my outs on the soundcard to the in on the guitar amp? Are there other ways to reamp besides using the reamp box ?

Here, I've pasted the Reamp FAQ page found at http://www.reamp.com/faq/, which answers all of your questions and more:

Question - Why do I need to use a Reamp interface box?
Answer - Because the output of a guitar pick-up is entirely different from the output of professional recording equipment. There must be a matching circuit introduced to interface the two devices together. It is no different from what a direct box does for connecting a guitar pick-ups output to a microphone preamp input. The Reamp "fools" a guitar amp or stomp box into reacting as if a guitar is plugged into it, just as a direct box "fools" a mic preamp into reacting as if a microphone is plugged into it.
[ Top ]
Question - Why doesn't the Reamp require a power supply or battery?
Answer - The Reamp is designed around the philosophy of minimal signal path (less is more). A high quality transformer designed for reamping, a trim control, the proper connectors and RF filtering is all that is needed to do the job reliably with full bandwidth and no added distortion. Because the Reamp is transforming high-level audio into low-level audio there is no need for added power. Therefore, adding power would only provide silly lights and useless features that would compromise the audio signal and increases the failure factor tenfold. In addition, you might trip over the power cord and bump your head.
[ Top ]
Question - What is the difference between high and low impedance? How do I know what I have?
Answer - Impedance is an electrical term that refers to how much a device Impedes the flow of current and is measured in ohms. While there is no set standard, low impedance usually refers to a range of between 120 and 800 ohms and high impedance refers to anything above 800 ohms. Most professional microphones are low impedance and electrical instruments (guitars & keyboards) are high impedance. All Modern professional consoles, older vintage consoles and outboard gear have low impedance outputs, which will interface perfectly with the Reamp.
[ Top ]
Question - What does +4 balanced mean and how do I know if that is what I have?
Answer - First let's define unbalanced and balanced.
An unbalanced line is the type you have on the hi-fi, typically using an RCA connector, and feeding the signal through a coaxial cable. The inner cable carries the signal, and the outer shield is the ground, to prevent RF interference and general airborne noise from being picked up on the signal lead. In contrast, a balanced connection uses two wires for the signal with the signal equal in amplitude in each wire, but opposite in phase. Only the out of phase signal is passed thru the balanced input amp, and any in phase (common mode) signal is rejected. RF interference and other noise will be picked up equally by both wires in the cable and will be out of phase so they to will be cancelled out of the signal path. The balanced output amp changes the signal path back in phase.

Secondly, let's define +4 and –10 level signals.

+4 and – 10 refer to the reference level used for 0VU.

A +4 signal has a 0VU reference of 1.234 volts AC

A –10 signal has a 0VU reference of .775 volts AC

Professional recording equipment uses the +4 balanced signal.

Consumer equipment uses the –10 unbalanced signal.

+4 balanced is the professional line level signal found on 3 pin XLR or “TRS” connectors with the in phase signal on pin 2 or the tip, the out of phase signal on pin 3 or the ring, and the ground or shield signal on pin 1 or shield. This is found on all professional tape recorders, consoles, and outboard gear.

-10 unbalanced is the consumer line level signal found on RCA connectors with the in phase signal on the pin or tip and the ground or shield signal on the shield. If your gear has RCA or ”TS” connectors you have –10 unbalanced equipment if you have XLR connectors you have +4 balanced equipment.

[ Top ]
Question - I use a computer with a sound card. Do I need a Reamp to send recorded tracks to a guitar amp?
Answer - Yes. Most high-end music cards (m-audio, lynx, aardvark) have +4 outputs on breakout cables. If your computer sound card has +4 outputs you are ready to go into the Reamp. Many consumer “off the shelf” computer cards (Sound Blaster type) are only –10 unbalanced. In this case, you will need to lower the output level another 10 to 15 dB, stay unbalanced and go directly into the amp without a Reamp. Don't call me if it doesn't works.
[ Top ]
Question - Some people say I can use a passive direct box in reverse for reamping. Is this true?
Answer - – No. This would not work because of the large level differences between a microphone level signal and a line level signal. On the direct box the instrument input is designed for instrument level signals (-20dbm) and the microphone out is designed to give a microphone level signal (-60dbm typical) using a direct box in reverse would put a +4dbm signal into a –60dbm output and would cause extreme signal distortion before you even plugged into the amp.
[ Top ]
Question - How do I use a stomp box in the recording chain with the Reamp?
Answer - Feed the Reamp the recorded track you want to effect with the stomp box. Connect a short 1/4" cable from the Reamp's output to the stomp box's input and another short cable from the stomp box's output into a direct box. Connect the output of the direct box to the input of your microphone preamp.
[ Top ]
Question - Why don't you sell a rack mountable Reamp?
Answer - Because the Reamp needs to be near the amp with a short cable, like a guitar.
[ Top ]
Question - I have seen ads for Reamp type devices that have an impedance switch or knob to simulate a few types of guitar pickups. Why doesn't the Reamp have this feature?
Answer - By design, The Reamp can “simulate” any guitar pickup’s impedance. It is important to understand that impedance and level on the output of the Reamp is the same thing as far as the amp is concerned. The guitar's "sound" and pickup imprint has already been recorded. The Reamp's Trim Knob adjusts level/impedance so matching the output of a guitar is a matter of plugging in a guitar, adjusting the amp to the desired sound, unplugging the guitar and plugging in the Reamp and adjusting the Trim until the level is the same as when the guitar was in. Depending on what guitar you used and how hot it was recorded, would ultimately dictate where the Trim control is put. This way the Reamp is not limited by the so-called "Guitar Simulation" of two pickup types but ALL guitar pickups. And remember, the Reamp goes to 11.
[ Top ]
Many thanks to James Gangwer and Perry Lancaster for their help answering these most frequently asked questions.

John Cuniberti

Thanks i had already read it once ,but i couldn't understand it the first time now i get it.One more question do i need a linedriver besides the reampbox?And does the jack from the reamp go into the normal input source on the amp or how does that work?

metalizer said:
Thanks i had already read it once ,but i couldn't understand it the first time now i get it.One more question do i need a linedriver besides the reampbox?And does the jack from the reamp go into the normal input source on the amp or how does that work?

All you need to go from your interface to your amp is the reamp. For recording your guitars, you will want to use a direct box. The jack from the reamp uses a standard 1/4" guitar cable to go to the amp.

I have a direct record in and out on my Johnson amps so i guess the problem is solved,but you still haven't answared if the jack from the reamp goes into the hi input (The input you would normally use when you plug your guitar into the amp)on the amp when you playack the recorded signal through the reamp.Man i admitt that i'm totally ignorent when it comes to this topic i usually never record direct,but that was before i heard about reamping which was yesterday, i acually called the local instrument store and asked the guy in charge of the studio department about it, he had never heard of reamping and that store is the biggest in Scandinavia, but he promised to look into it.

metalizer said:
I have a direct record in and out on my Johnson amps so i guess the problem is solved,but you still haven't answared if the jack from the reamp goes into the hi input (The input you would normally use when you plug your guitar into the amp)on the amp when you playack the recorded signal through the reamp.Man i admitt that i'm totally ignorent when it comes to this topic i usually never record direct,but that was before i heard about reamping which was yesterday, i acually called the local instrument store and asked the guy in charge of the studio department about it, he had never heard of reamping and that store is the biggest in Scandinavia, but he promised to look into it.

I already answered your question in my last post about the input. Yes, you just plug into your normal input on the amp.

You can't use your Johnson direct out because it is processed with amp and speaker emulation. You need to use a true direct box, you just want to record your clean guitars into the computer.

This is a very intriguing process. I have read about it before but didn't have much use for it at the time. I guess by pre-recording all the parts you could get studio recorded guitar for a whole album in only a half day's work or so.

This is a post from Egan in a previous thread on reamp they talked about finding a box which have both:Little labs have a couple boxes that will do it. The Redeye also has a built in passive DI and it sells for about the same as the reamp so you can kill two birds with one stone (or one purchase).

And here is one from Daemon097:Hey James -
So, I was reading up on the Radial JDV mkII & the radial JD7mkIII, and it looks like the radial JD7mkIII can be used as both a direct box and a a reampnig device.
So - is there any advantage in using the radial JDVmkII for getting the direct signal?

i have a motu828 mkII. it has two special inputs dedicated for microphone/guitar (they are neutrik xlr/trs combo connectors). so my question is, do I need to use a DI when recording with the unit, or can I just use the dedicated guitar input? does it give the same results?

if any of you have the same mkII: I tested connecting my guitar directly into the regular inputs and the dedicated guitar input, but I found no difference in the recording. is there any??

i've read somewhere that a regular boss pedal could be used as a reamp device. if I'm correct, the usual nominal output impedance of a passive guitar pickup is around 6-10 k ohms. some boss pedals have the same output impedance, like this one:
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/NS-2/specs.html
could this be used to match the impedance of the signal coming from the computer with the input of the amp?

have any of you tried using the passive DI box backwards technique?

ok, if anyone needs more questions i'm right here ;-)

OKOK!

But what does it mean. We "reamp" drums with the drumreplacer, reamp all our guitars with the reamp boxes. ( I have all that stuff, including Studer, Neve).
Why, becose everybody does. Our clients want it! The one who pays decide!
And now we wait to "reamp" the voice.

After al the replacing, autotuning and reampinging I listen to Probot!
And guess what the feel is back in music!!

I'm a fan of Andy's work, he changed the sound of Metal.

Barth said:
OKOK!

But what does it mean. We "reamp" drums with the drumreplacer, reamp all our guitars with the reamp boxes. ( I have all that stuff, including Studer, Neve).
Why, becose everybody does. Our clients want it! The one who pays decide!
And now we wait to "reamp" the voice.

After al the replacing, autotuning and reampinging I listen to Probot!
And guess what the feel is back in music!!

I'm a fan of Andy's work, he changed the sound of Metal.

What's your point? That you can still make a great album without these tools?

Kazrog said:
I already answered your question in my last post about the input. Yes, you just plug into your normal input on the amp.

You can't use your Johnson direct out because it is processed with amp and speaker emulation. You need to use a true direct box, you just want to record your clean guitars into the computer.

Just for the record:It is acually possible to bypass the amp and speaker simulation on the Johnson amp, so you can use the direct recording in and out.