Reamping advice for a novice

symeboy

New Metal Member
Jun 23, 2013
Hello everyone! This is my first post here but I imagine I will be back for more advice soon enough. :)

I'm in a metal band (thrash/power/nwobhm) and we are sorting out plans for our second indie produced album. We recorded our first one at a decent studio and it cost a pretty penny so this time we are looking at ways to cut costs...

One thing I thought of was to record the guitars ourselves then reamp them when we get to the studio.

I'm wondering if you could offer advice as to the best DI/reamp equipment for our needs. I have a very basic USB audio interface (EMU 0404), I imagine we should upgrade this too if we are going down this road?

Cheers :kickass:

E-Mu 0404 USB have pretty good converters, better than on many other interfaces in that price range. Only Hi-Z maximum input level not very great (+12 dbV/+14.2 dbu), but, unless you have clipping, it`s enough, maybe some good instrumental preamp with good Hi-Z will do the job better or quality DI box.
If you want lesser amount of noise, than you should consider interface with -120 db SNR converters (like E-Mu 1212M/1616M, other interfaces will cost a lot more).

Ok thanks bud!

I was looking into the Radial DI stuff, so you reckon with the EMU 0404 that would be sufficient to capture a decent signal for reamping?

If you can track your DIs without clipping (check recorded waveform), than you do not need dedicated DI box...
For me, for decent signal you will need even better converters (i.e. mentioned 120 db-class) :)
Difference in noise can be 6-10 db, despite 0404 USB good characteristics.
Just try yourself.
0404 USB is pretty popular in Russia, paired with Digilab SPM-100 preamp (russian made) it can give you required headroom while recording DIs and boost capability while reamping, to restore original signal level. Pretty good mobile solution :)
SPM-100 almost equal to BSS AR-133 DI box in terms of signal quality, but can accept larger signal levels (due to bipolar Opamp power supply of +/- 15 Volts).