reamping

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
hi guys,

one of my first posts, still learning so sorry if this is n00b question

i understand that reamping is basically taking a recording and playing through a different amp or eq setting whatever.

do you need something like this (Reamp, by John Cuniberti) a piece that i see andy sneap uses on his equipment list??? or can you just record a dry guitar to a mixing board (or in my case sonar via presonus firepod) and then play it back but connect a cable from the firepod OUT to the amp IN and re record???

when reamping the only way i can hear my playing w/ amp distortion i;m assuming is by using like an a/b switch so i can record dry to board and hear it with an amp at the same time. then i take the dry signal and i can reamp it as much as i want??? is that how it works?

This was in the website you linked.

[Question - Why do I need to use a Reamp interface box?
Answer - Because the output of a guitar pick-up is entirely different from the output of professional recording equipment. There must be a matching circuit introduced to interface the two devices together. It is no different from what a direct box does for connecting a guitar pick-ups output to a microphone preamp input. The Reamp "fools" a guitar amp or stomp box into reacting as if a guitar is plugged into it, just as a direct box "fools" a mic preamp into reacting as if a microphone is plugged into it. ]

When you record split the signal with any splitter box, and use the clean to reamp, do a search you´ll find tons of info on that here...

Other...

Question - I use a computer with a sound card. Do I need a Reamp to send recorded tracks to a guitar amp?
Answer - Yes. Most high-end music cards (m-audio, lynx, aardvark) have +4 outputs on breakout cables. If your computer sound card has +4 outputs you are ready to go into the Reamp. Many consumer “off the shelf” computer cards (Sound Blaster type) are only –10 unbalanced. In this case, you will need to lower the output level another 10 to 15 dB, stay unbalanced and go directly into the amp without a Reamp. Don't call me if it doesn't works.

From the same site... but this is something that a Reamp salesman would obviously say... but... don´t know, never tried a di-box...

Question - Some people say I can use a passive direct box in reverse for reamping. Is this true?
Answer - – No. This would not work because of the large level differences between a microphone level signal and a line level signal. On the direct box the instrument input is designed for instrument level signals (-20dbm) and the microphone out is designed to give a microphone level signal (-60dbm typical) using a direct box in reverse would put a +4dbm signal into a –60dbm output and would cause extreme signal distortion before you even plugged into the amp.

by reamping wouldn't you lose the sonic charatcteristics of the guitar pickups since the reamp box is acting as the pickups during the reamping process.

and also as far as splitting the signal when i record. i bought a whirlwhind A/B selector but it buzzes so much and adds fuzz when i play. i use a noise gate and everything but it still makes a lot of noise. i threw the box out too so i can't return it. is there anything else or is there a solution to this?

From the same site... but this is something that a Reamp salesman would obviously say... but... don´t know, never tried a di-box...

Question - Some people say I can use a passive direct box in reverse for reamping. Is this true?
Answer - – No. This would not work because of the large level differences between a microphone level signal and a line level signal. On the direct box the instrument input is designed for instrument level signals (-20dbm) and the microphone out is designed to give a microphone level signal (-60dbm typical) using a direct box in reverse would put a +4dbm signal into a –60dbm output and would cause extreme signal distortion before you even plugged into the amp.
That helps sell re-amps, but the technology is old, the beatles were reamping shit. It is a direct box with an attenuator. that is all. It is a GOOD one, no doubt. His reason that it "wont work" is bullshit though. It does work I do it everyday and so do a thousand other people that have done it for decades.
The output of a guitar pickup varies wildly between models, guitars etc. "intrument level" is a concept not a definite number. In other words if you plug it in and have "extreme distortion" you attenuate it until it sounds right, exactly what you would do with a re-amp BTW.
He has a patent on the reamp so other companies cannot say that you can use their stuff in the same capacity. However if you buy a radial passive direct box, it will tell you in the manual exactly how to do it. If you have a pad and a ground lift you are good to go. Dont believe me? thats cool, cubertini needs to make a living too. the reamp is a good product, go buy one.

by reamping wouldn't you lose the sonic charatcteristics of the guitar pickups since the reamp box is acting as the pickups during the reamping process.

and also as far as splitting the signal when i record. i bought a whirlwhind A/B selector but it buzzes so much and adds fuzz when i play. i use a noise gate and everything but it still makes a lot of noise. i threw the box out too so i can't return it. is there anything else or is there a solution to this?
you have a ground loop. does the whirlwind have a ground lift? if so flip it and see if the noise goes away.

Dont believe me? thats cool, cubertini needs to make a living too. the reamp is a good product, go buy one.

I had no intention to show disbelief for your post. As I stated earlier I´ve never reamped anything, I just copied some info from the website he mentioned, those are not my words. My DI is active so I could never try it backwards. When I get my chance I´ll do it.

Thanks for the info, I´ll try it out.

i checked out the radial thing.

is there any disadvantage to using the cubibierti or whatever reamp thing that seems to be better (i think)

i believe that it is just a reamp unit correct? there is no di box?

I had no intention to show disbelief for your post. As I stated earlier I´ve never reamped anything, I just copied some info from the website he mentioned, those are not my words. My DI is active so I could never try it backwards. When I get my chance I´ll do it.

Thanks for the info, I´ll try it out.
I was referring to a "you" in general, not "you" specifically :kickass:

Extreme distortion :lol: ..as if you can't simply turn the volume down from the volume control ;). I have behringer's cheapest DI (ultra di400p) and it works for reamping, only trouble is that there is some noise when not playing back anything. When the guitar is played back, however, there is no noticeable noise and it works absolutely fine.

here's a short clip: http://www.cmusicforum.com/sw/reamp_dry.mp3
not the greatest of tones but that could be expected from a behringer combo :rolleyes:

edit: I guess it may be a bit noisy for clean guitar, but with a better di it shouldn't be. Oh, and don't buy a DI with speaker emulation if you're going to use it for reamping.