Reaper users, I need your support! (help make editing more like PT)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, I noticed what I at first thought was a bug in the newest version of Reaper (version 3.14159, the "Pi" version, ho ho ho :loco: ), but then discovered it was actually the result of a new editing feature they implemented. However, I took it upon myself to suggest a way to make it even better, so if you could head on over to this thread in the Reaper forums and voice your support (if you think it's a good idea of course :D), I'd greatly appreciate it! :headbang: Here's the vid I made outlining it:

And I explained it in that thread as well

EDIT: And if you actually click the youtube link and watch it in HQ, it's larger and thus easier to see the different cursors

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you're switching to PT, ya better learn to love it! :D And the thing is, I can't think of any other way this could work (it's just annoying having to hold down the click first, then press shift when you want to extend an item/region, whereas for all other click+drag+modifier commands you can hold down the modifier first :Smug: )

learn to love it Joey

fortunately, you don't ever need to use it at all if you don't want to, not sure if cubase gives the option. i was about three months deep in PT before giving it a shot...but once a few situations arise where it's useful and you get locked into a streamlined workflow, like doing intense DI editing with elastic audio where you'd need to constantly be switching from grabber tool / selector tool ... you begin to appreciate its virtures

I do Marcus!

I support your idea.. you just discovered another one of those REALLY stupid design "bugs" in REAPER. REAPER is totally full of that shit, I hate it but it's still a nice DAW. Those three guys who develop REAPER must really be thinking ENTIRELY different than us "normal" audio guys... errr "normal" :)

there have been over 100 threads to fix reapers editing on their forum and at least 50 of em where like yours

also joeys editing method works perfect in reaper moving the audio in the regions with the pencil tool not the actuall region

Could you elaborate Ryan? I don't quite understand - I'm not talking about moving regions/items, but rather trimming the edges (both when they're by themselves and when they overlap to form a crossfade)

And if there have been a ton of threads...why hasn't anything happened?

His method is to move the waveforms inside the regions, rather than moving the regions and so the waveforms with it. I think in reaper you can do it clicking with something like ctrl or maj or a combination

Correct me if its not that

Yeah, that's what I figured, though like I said, not what I'm referring to here :D Thanks for the support in the Reaper thread btw dude! :kickass:

Well, I've read your post (after bumping and then deleting my post from an old thread of yours ahah) and supported it, and the first thread listed by Schwa was really interesting, dunno if you have read it :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=25077

I think the idea is interesting. With a PT preset, it would be fine for what you need. But seems a hard thing to implement.

Reaper 3.15 Dec 12:
Media items: shift+drag edges bypasses snapping regardless of whether shift or drag happens first

Looks like you got your wish Marcus! If only they could be this fast at implementing FUCKING TRACK BASED EDIT GROUPS AND PROPER REGION OVERLAP BEHAVIOUR!!