Reasons why PP7 isn't sold out yet?

Cheiron said:
I agree with you. But the power-thrash bands have been around for a while. I know the US has a lot of great metal, but a lot of newer US bands are not becoming popular, because a number sound alike. Also, I don't think the US supports US based metal bands as much as they should (outside of local support). There are exceptions of course. Such as Mastodon and Lamb of God (eh.. hard to call them newer, but I think you know what I mean).

But my main point was that the US used to be at the leading edge of metal, causing some substantial changes in genres. I don't see that so much anymore. Cellador could become huge, but I don't think they'll ever be a major force of change in metal.

Yeah. I wasn't dissagreeing with your prior post, nor with this one. I was just expounding on the fact that it's a lack of support and promotion, and not a lack of artists.

I wouldn't neccessarily attribute the lack of popularity to bands sounding alike though. Many of the bands that become popular at any given time (era) sound alike regardless of the flavor of the day. If something is promoted enough it will become popular.

It will be interesting to note in a few years when one or two of this year's lower echelon bands (Pyramaze? Vision Divine?) turns out to be "the next big thing" based on some killer CD they have yet to release. Then, everybody will be like "These guys are awesome....you mean they already played ProgPower? Dammit, I wish I would've gone before anybody knew who they were..."

But, we knew. Or, we're hoping to know. And, we'll say they were the surprise of the fest and that you should've been there to see their coming out party....too bad you missed out.....suckers! :lol:

Here's what I think.......
Um... Glenn fucking ROCKS, that's what I think.
If I have half the fun I have had the past two years, this show will kick my ass.......

Wait - Circus Maximus at preparty.... Vision Divine, Pyramaze, Jorn and Evergrey on the main nights..... yeah Glenn gave me the Prog Power 'dim mok' (death touch) - he kicked my ass and I don't even know it yet!!!!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::

I'll say for my first time that Glenn is amazing, and that someone is putting on a show like this blows my mind. Even with friends I find that like metal, hardly anyone likes progressive or power compared to death, thrash, etc... and then I find a whole festival devoted to it! I'm still learning so much but I do realize that ProgPower is kinda a big deal. People know about it.
And then, to connect the dots that I live in Atlanta, so I don't even have to spend that much money. I think I would be lying if I said I didn't consider future ProgPowers when making the decision to stay in Georgia for college - is that a bad thing?
ANYWAY I'm a bit offtopic, so:
"But I would like to note that I've seen a whole lot of people on this board lately who are saying it's their first ProgPower so something special must have made them decide to attend."

This is my first ProgPower and I came when I saw both Evergrey and Epica on the list. I did research, downloaded the songs offered on the page by each band and mulled over it for weeks (because it's still a crapload of money for a future college student, haha). Then I had a dream one night that I went and so when I woke up, I bought tickets.
Since then I've purchased Mercenary's 11 Dreams and Pyramaze is on my next order.
... so, bad line-up, apparently? well, holy crap, I can't wait to go next year!

mtndewqueen88 said:
I think I would be lying if I said I didn't consider future ProgPowers when making the decision to stay in Georgia for college - is that a bad thing?

If it is, you can always cite "nice weather" instead. ;)

(because it's still a crapload of money for a future college student, haha)

bah... You can get loans to pay for college. Spend your money on ProgPower. :)

... so, bad line-up, apparently? well, holy crap, I can't wait to go next year!

Definitely not a bad lineup... just a bit more experimental than previous years. I, for one, think this is one of the BEST lineups Glenn has had yet. The bands just aren't as well-known as they have been for past lineups. Besides, if the consensus of this forum is that the lineup is lackluster, then they have only themselves to blame; it was put together largely based on which bands seemed to get talked about the most here. That's where the "experimentation" comes into play.

Definitely not a bad lineup... just a bit more experimental than previous years. I, for one, think this is one of the BEST lineups Glenn has had yet. The bands just aren't as well-known as they have been for past lineups. Besides, if the consensus of this forum is that the lineup is lackluster, then they have only themselves to blame; it was put together largely based on which bands seemed to get talked about the most here. That's where the "experimentation" comes into play.

I love this line-up especiall PYRAMAZE, WASTEFALL, MERCENARY, SAVAGE CIRCUS, FREAK KITCHEN, and JORN, could it have been better? I don't see how, oh yeah only if PYRAMAZE had an Hour set.

Pyramaze51 said:
I love this line-up especiall PYRAMAZE, WASTEFALL, MERCENARY, SAVAGE CIRCUS, FREAK KITCHEN, and JORN, could it have been better? I don't see how, oh yeah only if PYRAMAZE had an Hour set.
I actually plan to attend both nights this year for a change!:headbang: