Reasons why PP7 isn't sold out yet?

Meanmistreator said:
You know, one minute it the core fans, the next it's the casual fan. Since Nevermore was announced, this turned into a Power Metal forum, and Prog fans were pissed. Then Nevermore canceled, and the Power fans were pissed. Now Evergrey is only popular because they played PP twice. It's all a fuckin' joke! Evergrey is the only reason I bought tickets this year. And I bought them after Neverfuckheads canceled! I started coming to this event because it featured "good fuckin' music" which is rare in the US. And if Jorn hadn't been added, there may be 200-300 tickets left.:mad:

I feel somewhat better, if not completely.:)

Heh... I think you completely misinterpreted what I said...

... However, I'm glad you feel better... :D :D

Ascension said:
:roll:

Be careful dude...you'll get put on super secure double penetration probation by the promoter for making that statement. l know... l'm there.

Sorry.....
Hail Mary full of grace, Hail Mary full of grace, Hail Mary full of grace:cry:

FatesFan said:
Maybe I am an elitist snob. If I am then so be it. If you don't believe that the US as a whole has an problem when it comes to recognizing good music then you are living in a different US than I am.

Take PPUSA for instance. Here you have arguably 10 good band that offer something to almost any metal fan around. Yet the festival is struggling to sell 900 tickets? There is something wrong here. The problem is not with the festival. It isn't the festival that sucks, it's peoples inabiblity to turn away from the radio and mtv. They have the mentality of, if its on the radio or on the billboard top 40 then its bound to be good. Well I am sorry, most of the crap on the billbord top 400 is crap. This festival should not be pulling in 900 people. It should be pulling 9000 + people. There is no reason for this other that all these followers out there that will do and listen to whatever the media says is cool or in. For a while it was swing music and then it was blue grass when O brother came out.

I myself have been guilty of being close minded when it comes to some of the music that some of you all listen to and have been wonderfully suprised at times when I decide to take the plung and listen. That is all I wish people would do.

It just kills me when bands like Edguy and Hammerfall and Blind Gaudian and Within Temptation release albums and they enter the Billboard charts in the top 40 in Europe and the surrounding areas. Why not here. There is something bad wrong. I can't be the only one that sees this can I?

There was one dude that got it and said I hit the nail on the head. That Milton dude said that understanding music wasn't the only thing the US sucked at and you didn't get all bent with him. I may be a snob, I just wished that the type of music that Glen showcases at his Festival would garnish more attention and props than what it gets. If that makes me a snob a troll or a dick so be it.

You are dead on track.:headbang:

Clearchannel, and its difficult for local groups to do large tours. The underground exists, but you don't see many major US based metal groups coming up lately. It doesn't seem like the US is creating the leading metal bands anymore... like they did, or at least shared, with England for a while. Perhaps its because in the US... nu-metal is/was so damn huge. And now other forms of 'alt-metal' are huge.

Cheiron said:
Clearchannel, and its difficult for local groups to do large tours. The underground exists, but you don't see many major US based metal groups coming up lately. It doesn't seem like the US is creating the leading metal bands anymore... like they did, or at least shared, with England for a while. Perhaps its because in the US... nu-metal is/was so damn huge. And now other forms of 'alt-metal' are huge.

There's quite a bit of American Metal if you look for it. Many are following the Europower/Traditional formula: Kamelot leads the pack of course. Impellitteri has some respect in the genre. Cellador is breaking out a little. Zandelle, Division, Overlord, and Miles Beyond are all bands with potential I think. Deeper down there are bands like Devane.

The Thrashier American styled Power metal is still dominated by American bands: Iced Earth, Nevermore, Jag Panzer etc. Although the style is probably more underground than it's Euro counterpart Bands like Symphorce and Black Destiny seem to be carrying the torch over there.

I don't think it's a matter of the US not creating bands, but once again it's lack of promotion in the struggle for recognition for the domestic product.

I love power metal and progressive power metal. I also like Dream Theater in the progmetal vein. I also like melodic death metal and metalcore, as well as traditional/classic metal. ProgPower USA is an awesome festival and Glenn is a first-rate promoter. Hail!

Wow, I just read this ENTIRE thread and realize I've been missing out on so much fun. :err: I didn't think this thread worthy of my time, but now realize I'm being an elitist snob, so I'm mending my ways and jumping into the fray!:saint:

Harvester said:
What I love the most is that there are only a handful of tickets left and I'm still deemed a failure this year. Any other festival here would kill to have this type of failure.

Oh well...
Which makes Gigantour a MONUMENTAL failure! I've never seen the Art Center in Jersey so empty.
Not only when it comes to understanding good music. LOL
The Milton-dude is a "football" freak. He was probably referring to the U.S. dismal performance in the World Cup. Everyone KNOWS Brazil really should have won.
All Glenn has to do is simply type the words "SOLD OUT" on the main page. This will bring out hundreds of cockroaches who immediately cry foul because they didn't get a chance to buy a ticket. There will be the requisite few days of whining and complaining about how they couldn't buy a ticket because they needed the money to pay for their grandmother's hip replacement or somesuch. After a week or so of bitching about how unfair Glenn is on the forum, he will "surprise" everyone with the announcement that there are 30 tickets that have just been made available and that this will be your LAST CHANCE to get them when they go on sale the next week. PPVII will then sell out in .000023 seconds.
:lol::lol::lol:
I was actually thinking the same thing, but you expressed it so much better. I think it probably would have worked, if this thread didn't exist.
In my opinion, it's your avatar. You did much better with the cowbell avatar. All these constant avatar changes are damaging your business. People think you are unstable. Bring back the cowbell!
You know, he may have a point.
Ditto! I go for the bands and the reunion of friends.
Cindy
Absolutley! Can't wait to see you again, Cindy! :kickass:

Though this is not my favorite ProgPower line-up yet, I'm still very excited about most the bands, either the ones I already love (Evergrey, Epica, Mercenary and Pyramaze) or the ones I'm anxious to learn more about (Thunderstone, Vision Divine, Wastefall) and I think Jorn is going to put on an amazing performance. This is once again, going to be a kickass show and an unbelievable overall experience!

And now can we turn this into yet another begging thread for next year? Surely we don't have enough of those! (NIGHTWISH, TAROT, AMORPHIS, SONATA ARCTICA!!!)

AMBR said:
And now can we turn this into yet another begging thread for next year? Surely we don't have enough of those! (NIGHTWISH, TAROT, AMORPHIS, SONATA ARCTICA!!!)

You really dig bands from Finland, eh? :D

oh shit, yea, I guess so. Didn't notice that, how about ...uh... Porcupine Tree!!! They rocked SR! WhereTF are they from?

Sumeet said:
AMBR said:

You really dig bands from Finland, eh? :D
Hahah... after seeing Tarot, Amorphis, Stratovarius, Charon and Altaria live last month at Myötätyylirock festival she went bezerk and almost emptied the "Keltainen Jäänsärkijä", one of the best metal record shops in Helsinki. :lol: When the guy behind the counter saw the pile of CDs she dragged on the desk, he immediately gave her 15% discount without even asking. Obviously he remembered her from her previous "shopping tour" in last October. :lol: :headbang:

Ambr, Porcupine Tree are from England.

I think they are one of the best prog metal bands of the last decade and a half. Anyone who never heard their CDs, give them a few spins, you might find something interesting and original.

St Enigma said:
Hahah... after seeing Tarot, Amorphis, Stratovarius, Charon and Altaria live last month at Myötätyylirock festival she went bezerk and almost emptied the "Keltainen Jäänsärkijä", one of the best metal record shops in Helsinki. :lol: When the guy behind the counter saw the pile of CDs she dragged on the desk, he immediately gave her 15% discount without even asking. Obviously he remembered her from her previous "shopping tour" in last October. :lol: :headbang:
Ha ha ha, so true! I love that store. I think I worried him a little when I accidently hannded him my Amex card first. Hell, I'm still regretting I didn't pick up more Ensiferum and Kius. Really getting into those two lately. And I'd like more of Amorphis' back catolog. (sigh) Next time. :headbang:

Ambr, Porcupine Tree are from England.

I think they are one of the best prog metal bands of the last decade and a half. Anyone who never heard their CDs, give them a few spins, you might find something interesting and original.
Thank you! I was totally blown away by them at Sweden Rock and really hadn't been impressed before. But I'd never given them a truly fair listen.

Boy, I really hijacked this topic, didn't I? :heh: Actually, I think it's time it died, enough has been said. But I would like to note that I've seen a whole lot of people on this board lately who are saying it's their first ProgPower so something special must have made them decide to attend. :kickass:

Magius said:
There's quite a bit of American Metal if you look for it. Many are following the Europower/Traditional formula: Kamelot leads the pack of course. Impellitteri has some respect in the genre. Cellador is breaking out a little. Zandelle, Division, Overlord, and Miles Beyond are all bands with potential I think. Deeper down there are bands like Devane.

The Thrashier American styled Power metal is still dominated by American bands: Iced Earth, Nevermore, Jag Panzer etc. Although the style is probably more underground than it's Euro counterpart Bands like Symphorce and Black Destiny seem to be carrying the torch over there.

I don't think it's a matter of the US not creating bands, but once again it's lack of promotion in the struggle for recognition for the domestic product.

I agree with you. But the power-thrash bands have been around for a while. I know the US has a lot of great metal, but a lot of newer US bands are not becoming popular, because a number sound alike. Also, I don't think the US supports US based metal bands as much as they should (outside of local support). There are exceptions of course. Such as Mastodon and Lamb of God (eh.. hard to call them newer, but I think you know what I mean).

But my main point was that the US used to be at the leading edge of metal, causing some substantial changes in genres. I don't see that so much anymore. Cellador could become huge, but I don't think they'll ever be a major force of change in metal.