Recent CD Purchases Thread

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I was thinking we could have a thread where people can post and review CDs that they recently purchased or otherwise acquired. This doesn't have to be limited to new releases either.

Here are some I have recently acquired:

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (5.1 Mix Special Edition)
I previously only had a download of the album, and held off once I heard this was going to be released. Contains 2 bonus tracks which appeared on previous singles. Bonus disc is a DVD audio of the album.

Megadeth - United Abominations
I am enjoying this one more and more with each listen. Great to hear metal with solid dual guitar harmonies. The solos are great. No doubt their best in years. A "return to form" album that actually lives up to the hype. Is it Rust in Peace Part II? Of course not, but this isn't the early 90's anymore.

Helloween - Live in Sao Paulo
I am usually weary when it comes to live albums, because most bands are afraid to simply let the tape roll and release the performance. Well, this is in no doubt a complete show, but the majority is from one concert. Great crowd participation on most songs which makes this a fun listen, and recommended for any Helloween fan. Good mix of tracks from throughout their career.

Reverend Bizarre - Harbinger of Metal
For years, traditional doom metal fans have been raving about this band. I am a little mixed on this one. This is indeed "true" doom in every sense of the word. Very slow and heavy. When it comes to traditional doom, I groove mostly to the more rockin' doom bands, ala Trouble, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, some Cathedral, etc. This is just a little too slow for my tastes. Maybe it will sink in over time.

Primal Fear
Metal Is Forever

Pagans Mind
Enigmatic : Calling

Threshold
Dead Reckoning

Redemption
The Origins of Ruin

Firewind
Allegiance

Communic
Waves of Visual Decay

Pretty much getting ready for Prog Power.

Out of those 3 I've only gotten a chance to listen to the Firewind one and only a couple of times but so far so good. <-----That has to be the absolutely shittiest music review ever! :p

Primal Fear I've heard before and they are VERY Priest sounding to me.

I am very familiar with Primal Fear. I was just curious if the "hits" package was worth getting. I know the bonus disc is all the covers they did. I would assume they do a kick-ass job on metal covers, considering how "Priest" influenced they are. Their albums get monotonous to me, though I am thinking a hits collection might be good since I assume it has all their powerhouse tracks collected.

Yeah thats one of the reasons I decided to get the "Best of" cd. Their cover of Die Young is pretty fuckin cool, I like it when bands take a cover song and make it their own.

Firewind - Allegiance
Allen/Lande - The Revenge
Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli
Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
Morgana Lefay - Abberations Of The Mind
Bird of Prey - Under A Black Sun EP (featuring Dean Maltese, ex-Radakka, current Slick bassist/singer)

That's pretty much is for the past 2 months or so.

Also in the last 2 months...

Ive been listening to this one of a while and it just keeps getting better with each listen. I can finally accept Dave with the new band members.

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli
Huge sounding album, still haven't fully absorbed it yet but it's clicking.

Black Sabbath - The Dio Years
Got it for the new songs which suck..well I'm also a completist with a lot of my collection so I had to have it anyway.

Threshold - Dead Reckoning
Not their best but still solid from cover to cover

Rush - Snakes and Arrows
Awesome disc, going to end up in the top 5 of the year for sure, love every second of it.

Redemption - Orgin of Ruin
Their best.....every song is incredible

Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
Pink Cream doing what Pink Cream does best, releasing a solid album

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Black Planet
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Still absorbing these two

Here is what I have gotten this month........

new disc...I am at work so I cant remember the titles for some.

-Vintersorg
-Lumsk
-Finntroll
-Moonsorrow
-Cruachan - Morrigans Call
-Ensiferum - Victory Songs
-Kotipelto - Serentiy
-Twilightning - Swinelords
-Manowar - Gods Of War
-Helloween DVD
-Battlelore - Evernight
-Hartman - Home
-Machine Men - Circus of Fools
-Rebellion - History of Vikings
-Sabaton - Metalizer

plus I picked up some older stuff by
Agalloch, Novembers Doom, and a few others

it is a great disc....they are a cross between Grave Digger and Iced Earth....the singer sound like Barlow so much. You would really like it Jason.

I don't doubt it! They sound great. Just a generic sounding title.
That would be like if Rhapsody entitled an album, "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" Errrr.... wait a second!! :lol:

:lol: I know this band has never heard the term "original" and that is fine for their genre of metal, but come on. They titled their album "History of Vikings" F'ing priceless!!!!!

Its called that because that was the first in a series of albums they are doing based on Viking Kings.

Jasonic:
Im suprised Thurisaz-Circadian Rhythm isnt on your list (since you guys toured with them). Unless you have it already...definitely a 9/10 album its really good. And I was wondering how they sounded live and if they are cool dudes or not.

I need some more reviews of this Helloween DVD.

The DVD is great in picture and sound. THere are a few songs where you can change over to a different show with the same song. My only complaint is that the set is filled with longer songs, thus missing out on adding a few more songs to the set. worth every penny. this is one disc you will watch more than once.