Recommend a cheap audio interface for guitar recording

Pxz

Nov 13, 2006
Chile - La Serena
That can handle low latency for direct monitoring using amp sims and impulses.$250-300 price range, USB also
Im gonna be moving a lot this days and i need one for my laptop so i can record guitars on the run.

Try out the line 6 toneport series. Those work really great and Ux2 comes with phanton power with XLR inputs and guitar inputs. Its light weight and easy for on-the-go.

Line 6 stuff sucks for direct monitoring when using impulses. The di quality is subpar at best . I have a pod x3 pro that i use for quick tracks and i was impressed by the latency when trying other ampsims :(

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. It is USB, small, at your price range, great latency and very well built. Has a whole hardware section dedicated for monitoring, with individual volume knob, mono switch and a button that switches the monitor output between off, 1/2, 3/4 or 1/2/3/4.

And I agree about UX2 being terrible to monitor other ampsims. I don´t know how it can have zero latency when using POD Farm but suck so bad when using anything else, like Guitar Rig, Revalver, etc.

Thanks man that looks like a good one. I dont know why line 6 stuff cant handle decent latency when monitoring. Also the di quality is fucked up .

Line6 stuff always sound too active to me even with passives.
For somewhat similar price, M-Audio FastTrack (MKII, black box) or MobilePre (also black new version) will give more natural results.
Both interfaces have phantom power, MobilePre have two universal (mic/line/inst) inputs, FT have one mic and one inst input.
Inst inputs accepts levels up to +12 dbV (+14.2 dbu) at minimum gain, not very much, but better than many Focusrite interfaces.

For line6 interfaces with ASIO shorter latencies can be achieved by using ASIO4ALL drivers rather than native.

Focusrite Saffire 6. Same pre's as on my Pro 40 and they are hard to beat in that price range. Sound pristine.
Not the same, 6 USB have much lower maximum input level, so clipping will be unavoidable, PRO 40 have much more maximum input level.
From specifications of 6 USB:
"Maximum Input Level for 0 dBFS (minimum gain, with pad): +7 dBu"
http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/saffire_6_usb/specifications/
This is absolute maximum, not enough even for EMGs, passives can have larger peak levels.

From specifications of PRO 40:
"Maximum Input Level min gain no pad +8dBu".
http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/saffire_pro_40/specifications/
From manual:
" Mic and instrument maximum input level +7dBu (+16dBu with pad on inputs 1 and 2)."

Incomparable products. There is thread on clipping with 6 USB.

Interesting thread, because I'm looking for a new USB interface too. Thanks deLuther for the advice you gave on the M-Audio devices. Is the quality the same for the FastTrack and MobilePre? I'm getting interested in one of those. Other options are welcome too of course, price isn't that important but it has to be portable and USB (only need it for quality DI and I only need one input). Currently I'm using the Line6GX, but I need an improvement in my guitar DI tracks.

Yeah but I cannot agree with it. I have the 6 USB too and I have absolutetly no problems with clipping. Just using the pad button and everything is fine.
With PAD you will have only +7 dbu, don`t know about pickups used, but this is to little. Also depends on picking technique. EMG`s manual (http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/PowerTips_Tricks_0230-0190C.pdf) says that older pickups have around 4.5 Vpp i.e. around +9.3 dbu peak level, "newer" have even large output, both values lies outside of 6 USB range...

osum, can you post DI sample?
From my observation internal clipping margin of EMG 85 lies within +7 to +8 dbu, maybe slightly more, depends on distance to strings, picking, state of battery.

RaNk, one guy at russian guitar forum posted comparison between MobilePre MKII (black) and PodStudio UX2.
Don`t know if files will be easy to get for peoples that don`t speaking russian:
http://narod.ru/disk/12091865001/Line6 POD Studio UX2.aif.html
http://narod.ru/disk/12092288001/M-Audio Mobile Pre MK2.aif.html
Here original post:
http://www.guitarplayer.ru/forum/index.php?topic=196988.0

Yes thanks man, that was the difference I was hoping for really. My tracks always sound dulled out, and when I put more highs in to compensate, I got these 'fake sounding harmonics' instead of something more bright (hard to explain what I mean exactly). I think it also works for the high midtones, listening to a quick Lecto reamp I did. I know it has to be the interface because other's DIs usually sounded better reamping with my own setup. I guess I know what to order next week. Only question left is the quality between the M-Audio devices itsself. Which one would you pick between the two you mentioned (better suggestions also welcome), if money is no issue? Sound quality important, features alot less. Thanks again.

How about those new Focusrite interface? Those reddish ones (I don't remember the name)

MobilePre MKII most probably have the same pres as FT MKII, although MobilePre specifications does not published yet.
Alternative name for FT MKII is AVID Recording Studio (same hardware, different software).
I would pick MobilePre if there is need for two mics, otherwise FT MKII, because it is cheaper.
Don`t heard direct comparison between these two, but heard comparison between FT MKII and E-Mu 0202 USB (also inexpensive interface), FT MKII wins, significantly less noise when recording DIs with same gear (including computer), even better converters of 0202 USB can`t help.

How about those new Focusrite interface? Those reddish ones (I don't remember the name)
Same problems as other focusrite interfaces regarding levels, excluding top ones (PRO 40 at least).
Why Focusrite thinks that pickups need such amount of amplification?
+13 db of gain at minimum is overkill... and no Pad.
To pass through converters signal of many pickups should be reduced, not amplified.