recommend pianists or composers

Darkness Eternal said:
Yep, good ol' Nikolai.

Russian classical music > *

Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Mussorsky etc etc.
Definitely, though you should remove Tchaikovsky from the list. I don't care for him at all. Also, don't forget Borodin - he was primarily a chemist, though, the stupid wanker! :)

It slipped my mind in my earlier post but Nicolo Paganini would be an excelent suggestion. I consider this guy to be one of the first "shredders" even though he played violin. The man actually used to encourage the story that he sold his soul to the devil for his amazing skills. He would actually rig his violin strings to break during a concert so that he could demonstrate to the audience how to play entire arrangements on only one string. He used to dress in all black and arrive to the concert hall in a black coach pulled by black horses. There are few people alive today who can actually play his stuff. The cd i have of his "24 Caprices" is of a recording made in the 70's. If you want to hear some amazing instrumental work, check out Nicolo Paganini.

I second Elend. I don't see anything vaguely resembling metal in Elend. They're more symphony based than anything. THe only thing closest to metal is the growling. I've got The Umbersun and it's so depressing and evil it sometimes sickens me to listen to it. That's the emotion I get sometimes, it's awesome stuff. Try to get their latest which is has a title with "winds" in it, I can't remember it. Apparently it's less sickening and evil, more ambietic.