Recommend some bands like...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I've noticed my tastes of late have gone a bit, hm, moody/ambient? Anyone into these bands that can recommend similar stuff?

Riverside (been into this one big time lately)
Mechanical Poet
Ayreon
Battlelore

Maybe moody/ambient isn't the right word. I'm a bit bored of the norm musically. Looking for something that comes from outside the box.

Well....I could pull out my whole list of "outside-the-box" progressive bands...but I think I'll try to focus on more mellow things and things you would like if you like Ayreon.

Ulver
Devin Townsend
Pain Of Salvation
...In The Woods
Nightingale
Orphaned Land
Subterranean Masquerade
Winds

Lykathea said:
Arcturus
Opeth
Solefald
Pain of Salvation
Porcupine Tree (not metal but still really kewl)

I dig PoS in doses. Have to be in the mood for them. Opeth same... although Still Life I can chill to anytime. Heard of, but not heard, the other two. Will check that out.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Well....I could pull out my whole list of "outside-the-box" progressive bands...but I think I'll try to focus on more mellow things and things you would like if you like Ayreon.

Ulver
Devin Townsend
Pain Of Salvation
...In The Woods
Nightingale
Orphaned Land
Subterranean Masquerade
Winds

Devin isn't bad... for some reason I can't fullyget into his stuff, but definitely worth revisting. Nightingale I love, well the one I have heard (Alive again). Pretty amazing album, not sure why I haven't checked into their others. Orphaned Land is cool as well. I've been meaningto check out more of Tomer's stuff on the new SubMasq...I liked the tracks I heard. Winds will check into...heard a lot of good things about them it seems.

Sopor Aeturnus. NOT Solitude Aeturnus. this stuff isnt metal at all. and one of the main people is really obscure (had a genital sex change, but stayed male everyother way)

Trylakos said:
Sopor Aeturnus. NOT Solitude Aeturnus. this stuff isnt metal at all. and one of the main people is really obscure (had a genital sex change, but stayed male everyother way)

That's an excellent recommendation, if you can get past the very unusual vocals (a friend of mine hates them).

Also check out:

Nenia C'alladhan - a project of Anna Varney (the "chick" from Sopor Aeternus)
Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio
Raison d'Etre
Sophia
Karjalan Sissit
Coph Nia
Amber Asylum
Naervaer
Lycia
Miranda Sex Garden
Monumentum
Slowdive
Black Tape for a Blue Girl
In the Nursery
Arcana
Amber Spyglass

I am fairly sure you will like at least something.

MetalAges said:
I've noticed my tastes of late have gone a bit, hm, moody/ambient? Anyone into these bands that can recommend similar stuff?

Riverside (been into this one big time lately)
Mechanical Poet
Ayreon
Battlelore

Maybe moody/ambient isn't the right word. I'm a bit bored of the norm musically. Looking for something that comes from outside the box.
Outside the box? that I can do
Unexpect
Maudlin of The Well/Kayo Dot
Axis of Perdition
Hollenthon
Summoning(who i'm sure all of the anus fiends have mentoned)
Void of Silence

for non-metal stuff
Navicon Torture Technologies
Massdirge
Grunt
Gruntsplatter
Archon Satani
Zorn(and all of his projects)
Annie Gosfield

Naggamanteh said:
That's an excellent recommendation, if you can get past the very unusual vocals (a friend of mine hates them).

Also check out:

Nenia C'alladhan - a project of Anna Varney (the "chick" from Sopor Aeternus)
Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio
Raison d'Etre
Sophia
Karjalan Sissit
Coph Nia
Amber Asylum
Naervaer
Lycia
Miranda Sex Garden
Monumentum
Slowdive
Black Tape for a Blue Girl
In the Nursery
Arcana
Amber Spyglass

I am fairly sure you will like at least something.
heh I think the vocals are great... beat your friend up:p

Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness has a *different* ambience to it. It's quite unlike anything else I listen to, so that could be just a relative issue. The band I most associate it with is Alchemist (more the newer stuff) although it is very different in its perspective. Primordial has a more natural focus, whereas I could describe Alchemist as more cosmic.