Recommend some good sci-fi films

Tokyo Gore Police?!

just in case not everyone is familiar with this classic of jap scifi gore weirdness

Last edited by a moderator:
the 80s Dune is fuckin weird, and goes off book starting like 1/2 through. by the time they are shouting MAU DIB into their little voice activated gun things you're wondering wtf movie you put in.

All in a similar vein: Solaris (both versions are great), Sunshine and more recently Moon which is really quite brilliant.

And you can never watch Robocop, Total Recall, Aliens, Gattaca, Galaxy Quest or Contact too many times.

I'll assume you saw all the big ones and suggest a few goodies that slipped under a lot of radars:

Strange Days (one of my personal top 10 sci fi films despite dating itself as a millenium movie)
Body Snatchers (1993 version with Gabrielle Anwar)
Primer
Cypher
Stalker (only if you can tolerate the glacial pace of Russian film)
Mother Night (not scifi, but Vonnegut appeals to many fans)
Déjà Vu (2006 with Denzel)
The Man From Earth
Ever Since the World Ended (Twelve years after a devastating plague has emptied the world of people, two San Francisco filmmakers traverse the nearly deserted city with a camera and a microphone)

All in a similar vein: Solaris (both versions are great), Sunshine and more recently Moon which is really quite brilliant.

And you can never watch Robocop, Total Recall, Aliens, Gattaca, Galaxy Quest or Contact too many times.

Already have Solaris in the queue. (Russian version). I agree with most of your suggestions, but I've seen most of them. Do need to get around to watching it though. Moon too. I liked Sunshine quite a bit but the premise and resolution were way too silly. Great atmosphere though.

I'll assume you saw all the big ones and suggest a few goodies that slipped under a lot of radars:

Strange Days (one of my personal top 10 sci fi films despite dating itself as a millenium movie)
Body Snatchers (1993 version with Gabrielle Anwar)
Primer
Cypher
Stalker (only if you can tolerate the glacial pace of Russian film)
Mother Night (not scifi, but Vonnegut appeals to many fans)
Déjà Vu (2006 with Denzel)
The Man From Earth
Ever Since the World Ended (Twelve years after a devastating plague has emptied the world of people, two San Francisco filmmakers traverse the nearly deserted city with a camera and a microphone)

I love plague movies. Always good. I have seen the Man From Earth, thought it was about as interesting as a movie with only one scene and no special effects could be. Also seen most of the rest of them. Good suggestions. Loved Mother Night. Nolte is perfect as Campbell.

Thankee

Already have Solaris in the queue. (Russian version). I agree with most of your suggestions, but I've seen most of them. Do need to get around to watching it though. Moon too. I liked Sunshine quite a bit but the premise and resolution were way too silly. Great atmosphere though.

I love plague movies. Always good. I have seen the Man From Earth, thought it was about as interesting as a movie with only one scene and no special effects could be. Also seen most of the rest of them. Good suggestions. Loved Mother Night. Nolte is perfect as Campbell.

Thankee

I'd recommend watching the Russian version and the remake together (or not too far apart). The remake is one of the finest such movies around. Stalker is from Tarkovsky also, and it's ace.

I was mulling over this. Enemy Mine is a staple of "underrated Sci-Fi" articles, but it's worth checking out.

Alphaville is awesome. French noir. Very cool.

Also, I think it's widely known, but The Thing is absolutely nails.

The Thing is a lot more awesome than a synopsis might suggest.

I'll probably find Alphaville somewhere, as I love good French movies. That reminded me of a movie I saw combining both French cinema and Ron Perlman.

Cite des Enfants Perdus. I didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing but what I saw I liked. Surreal Dickensian stuff.

The Thing is a lot more awesome than a synopsis might suggest.

I'll probably find Alphaville somewhere, as I love good French movies. That reminded me of a movie I saw combining both French cinema and Ron Perlman.

Cite des Enfants Perdus. I didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing but what I saw I liked. Surreal Dickensian stuff.

That one's a classic bit of Caro/Jeunet. Same team did the underrated Delicatessen