Recommend some neo-classical influenced metal

AmirH

meh
Aug 12, 2003
seattle
My interest in this sub-genre has grown more and more since the metal vs. classical thread. Could any of you make some recommendations?

A common misconception is that 'neo-classical' means bands who enjoy masturbating their guitars, i.e. Dream Theater. What it actually means is when the composition is influenced by classical form but incorporated into modern styles. Stuff like The Chasm, Summoning and Miasma.

Guardian of Darkness said:
A common misconception is that 'neo-classical' means bands who enjoy masturbating their guitars, i.e. Dream Theater. What it actually means is when the composition is influenced by classical form but incorporated into modern styles. Stuff like The Chasm, Summoning and Miasma.

Thanks for getting this out of the way so quickly. I doubt anyone will pay much attention to it though.

Int said:
GoD is correct.

That he is.

I actually JUST got into The Chasm like this month thanks to GoD and they're fast becoming my favorite. I was already familiar with symphony x, winds, and summoning, but I'll be sure to check out Miasma, Necrophagist and Adagio. Any others?

Actually, if you're into minimalism, Burzum would be a good choice.

And GoD is 100% on the money. There is nothing neoclassical about Dream Theater.

Symphony X...yes there is. However, they have old-school prog influences, and that's where the wanking solos come from.

thecrimsonchin said:
My interest in this sub-genre has grown more and more since the metal vs. classical thread. Could any of you make some recommendations?
Obviously the old Yngwie is one of the best. I am sure you are familiar with his work though.

Jason Becker had some cool stuff as well.
Angra has a little of that style in them.
Stratovarious has that sound as well, though I personally don't like them.
Wolf Hoffmann (former accept guitarist) released a solo album called "classical" but it's not much on the "heavy" side, but still decent stuff.

Bryant

Space Oddysey(neo-classical prog/power from Sweden) also sounds pretty promising. I have their album "Embrace the Galaxy" and have listened to some of it. Good stuff indeed.

Well, that's one method of describing neoclassicism in music, though certainly not the sole, precise definition. Generally, it's a loose term that indicates "of, relating to, or constituting a revival or adaptation of classical elements." This can be applied thematically, such as in the lyrical content of a composition, structurally, such as in the integration of classical structures such as the sonnet, rondo, minuet, etc. into modern music (which is what I suspect you were implying), or simply even in the utilization of classically-reminiscent complex elements (in this case, the neoclassical element would be present to a much lesser extent, but nonetheless present).

Understand I'm not trying to refute your assertion (which was basically correct), but being that it was rather pedantic, I thought I'd try and amplify it.

Oh, and I would also like to recommend Kayo Dot.

Well, that's one method of describing neoclassicism in music, though certainly not the sole, precise definition. Generally, it's a loose term that indicates "of, relating to, or constituting a revival or adaptation of classical elements." This can be applied thematically, such as in the lyrical content of a composition, structurally, such as in the integration of classical structures such as the sonnet, rondo, minuet, etc. into modern music (which is what I suspect you were implying), or simply even in the utilization of classically-reminiscent complex elements (in this case, the neoclassical element would be present to a much lesser extent, but nonetheless present).
The term neoclassical was originally coined to represent Debussy, Stravinsky, and members of the Second Viennese School.