Recommend some neo-classical influenced metal

The term neoclassical was originally coined to represent Debussy, Stravinsky, and members of the Second Viennese School.

Interesting, I can't say I was aware of that. Somewhat odd when considering that 20th Century Russian classical still falls within the context of classical.

but if u consider neoclassical metal only the new power-speed metal...well arcturus does not play neoclassical stuff (even if La masquerade is fucking neoclassical in its construction)

Remenis said:
but if u consider neoclassical metal only the new power-speed metal...well arcturus does not play neoclassical stuff (even if La masquerade is fucking neoclassical in its construction)
Maybe you should try reading the thread instead of gaying it up.

Remenis said:
yea....knut and august are really good neoclassical shredders

Yeah, I'm much more interested in structure though.

Burzum was a pretty good recommendation, and adagio turned out to be close to symphony x, but a little more mature in some ways.

Hollenthon, as I said before is pretty awesome stuff and had a lot of what I'm looking for. I'm also really digging drukh, but a lot of what they do is atmosphere.

Oh, and I am familiar with kayo dot. I still have to check out Astrofaes and Fullmoon and a few others.

Oh and Bryant, Yngwie had unbelievable skill but I should have emphasized that compositional maturity is more of what I'm looking for. I will be sure to check out Wolf Hoffmann and Jason Becker though, since I honestly don't know if I've heard them yet.

Thanks a lot guys! Keep em coming!

DiscipleOfPlato said:
Interesting, I can't say I was aware of that. Somewhat odd when considering that 20th Century Russian classical still falls within the context of classical.

not really, considering that the classical era spanned from roughly the death of j.s.bach to the death of l.v. beethoven. by the 20th century the romantic era was coming to a close.

I think he means "classical music" as the widespread genre title.

Regardless, neoclassical, be it the Chasm or Stravinsky, is still classical. Stravinsky is just much more "classical" in the sense of a large orchestra and the respective instruments opposed to a modern band's guitar/bass/drum sound.

by the 20th century the romantic era was coming to a close.

Correct, but how would you assimilate the entire classical genre, in all of its glorious enormity, with all of its facets and endless list of composers, with the Romantic period? Were classical composers during the Baroque period not considered classical as well?

Does he mean metal that is influenced by the neoclassical (Stravinsky et al) or simply neoclassical?

BTW in what way are COB neoclassical? A series of unrelated ideas with silly melodies does NOT encompass classical ideals in any way.

hibernal_dream said:
Does he mean metal that is influenced by the neoclassical (Stravinsky et al) or simply neoclassical?

BTW in what way are COB neoclassical? A series of unrelated ideas with silly melodies does NOT encompass classical ideals in any way.

Indeed, CoB are NOT neoclassical. Nor is any other shred fest. And I simply mean neo-classical. Metal with a classical influence in the structure, and melodic composition. The Chasm and Winds are two great examples.

thecrimsonchin said:
Oh and Bryant, Yngwie had unbelievable skill but I should have emphasized that compositional maturity is more of what I'm looking for. I will be sure to check out Wolf Hoffmann and Jason Becker though, since I honestly don't know if I've heard them yet.

Thanks a lot guys! Keep em coming!

Compositional maturity was not Yngwie's strength especially after the first solo release that is for sure.
Can't say I can recommend the Wolff Hoffmann disc to you either given your criteria. Wolf made the release as a "fun" project and more or less made his own renditions of songs like "Fur Elise, Arabian Dance, In the Hall of the Mountain King" and even "Pomp and Circumstance" to name a few. The guitar is well thought out and well played, but he is simply giving his interpretations of some classics. It is intersting though. For example the "fur Elise" rendition he entitled "Blues for Elise" and for good reason. He made a blues interpretation of the work. It's odd, but cool. Wolf has some great moments on the disc, but I think he looked more for atmosphere than anything else. Sometimes the disc sounds a bit simplistic which belies his skills.
From a technical standpoint, his work with Accept on the "Metal Heart" and "Russian Roulette" releases are probably his finest, but I would hardly label any of that work "neoclassical," but more of an elite guitarist in a heavy oldschool metal band, so you probably wouldn't be interested. Having said that, if you do see some songs "lying around" from either of those releases, you might want to check it out. With the thousands and thousands of guitarists out there, Wolf actually changed the rythms of many of the songs to accomodate solos he had written. If you are a guitar fan, Wolf is one of the true greats that slipped through the cracks of most metal and guitar fans' ears.

Bryant