Recommendation: Terra Firma - Harm's Way (2001)

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
2q8v66s.jpg

1. Freebassing 03:47
2. Groundman 03:51
3. Harms Way 04:16
4. Have Demon, Will Travel 06:49
5. Threefivenine 03:14
6. Dust Parade 02:54
7. Sway 04:31
8. Open Season 03:37
9. Steel Scale 09:09

Total playing time
42:12

First off, let me tell you that this album is nearly PERFECT and if you enjoy no-bullshit, fat-riffed, groove-oriented, fucking Hard Rock-laden Metal, you should LOVE this. Some of you may have seen me name-drop them a few times in the past couple years and some have actually caught on to the greatness. Formed in the mid-90's by Lord Chritus/Christian Linderson (Count Raven/Saint Vitus) and Fredrik Lindgren (Unleashed) these guys put out a few demos and a full-length in '99 which was very good as well. But this gem simply blows them all out of the water. Every riff on this album is stellar and glues itself to your psyche. Not only that, but every song has something else to offer; far from a one-dimensional album. You have the instrumental intro "Freebassing" which instantly gets your body moving with its quasi-psych melody ala Floyd and transitions into the energetic rocker "Groundman." Or the incredibly relaxed and floating melodies of "Sway" which halfway through breaks out into a rocker to throw you off your seat, then back to tuck you in. I dare you to listen to this album without singing along, headbanging, air-guitaring, and bobbing your head all over the place. As I am typing this, I have no idea what songs to upload, they all rule. Unfortunately, the band has since split-up but has left us in it's wake, this slab of greatness.

46xv96p.jpg

I thought about doing this band... thanks Doomsniffer.

Anyway, it's some good fucking shit!

I have the first album, which is pretty good. I'll have to check these out in a bit, but I'm currently listing some shit on eBay. Good recommendation though, based on the first album.

UnFREAKINbelievable album
The first ones RULES too, but this one is BLOODY AMAZING. I have to say though that their best song for me is in the debut, "And The 8th Seal Was Hers" that is, awesome title too. The first time i listened to "Harms Way" i was like "holy fuck is this a lost demo from VOL. 4 ?". Super recommendation.

Cool stuff, when the mid-paced sections kick in I'm not so hot, I'm all for hammer blows but I enjoyed the shit. Maybe I should lean toward a(nother) CLASSIC before passing judgement..anyhow :cool: . Keeper, will listen again later.

I find that Terra Firma's downfall is the same as most of the bands that constitute this genre; average to below average vocals. It seems to me, music like this just begs for a emotive, powerful vocals. Unfortunately, too few bands in the genre actually deliver them.

Zod

I think this is something I definitely appreciate more now than when I first heard them five years ago. I definitely have to bee in the mood, but I can already see putting this on late at night, having a cigar and watching the the world drift by while it plays in the background. Thanks, Doomcifer.

Pretty cool stuff - not the kind of thing I'd usually listen to, but really good nonetheless. 'Sway' took a bit too long to get going, I thought, but then I can definitely picture getting really into it after a nice bong hit or something. There were a couple of really quite heavy moments in Harm's Way that got my head moving, too.

I probably won't be rushing out to buy it, but if the tracks I've downloaded crop up in a random playlist, I doubt I'll be skipping past them either.

I find that Terra Firma's downfall is the same as most of the bands that constitute this genre; average to below average vocals.

It's funny because for me, the vocals are one of the highpoints. I'm curious to wonder how else the vocals could be delivered, because I also think the vocals match the music well. I'm not sure if I'd want to hear someone with too much vibrato or emotion sing this material because the music seems so...spontaneous.

I want to give this a few more spins but so far so good.

It's funny because for me, the vocals are one of the highpoints. I'm curious to wonder how else the vocals could be delivered, because I also think the vocals match the music well. I'm not sure if I'd want to hear someone with too much vibrato or emotion sing this material because the music seems so...spontaneous.
I don't want to hear Lance King sing this. However, I would appreciate someone with a Chris Cornell type approach.

Zod

This really isn't bad, some parts in "Harms Way" are dangerously groovy and sort of remind me of the great OGRE (I really loved the tracks you posted by those guys in the previous reco round).