How long have you been into Metal?

This thread is too long for me to read. My quick story:

October 2nd 1999. Bought The Number Of The Beast on CD in a HMV sale. A month later I had The X Factor and was looking to get hold of anything else that was HEAVY METAL - took about a year for me to shake off nu-metal poser shit influences from NTV, Kerrap and False Metal Hammer (so now I understand: open mind = waste of flesh/wimp). Over the past year I'd had experiences with Antichrist Superstar by Marilyn Manson, Iron Maiden and Piece Of Mind by Iron Maiden and the A-side of Seasons Of The Abyss by Slayer, but apart from the Slayer (which I'd got hold of two, three, maybe four months before owning my first Maiden album) I thought that it was all wank. In fact, after having being softened up by Slayer I thought The Number Of The Beast was rather wimpy...pop-culture influences had made me think all Heavy Metal was like Moonblood/Nargaroth/Gestapo SS/Kristallnacht/Akista/Goatvomit/Branikald etc (because these are the kind of uber-UBER-heavy bands that only kvlt-mvtvl peeps listen to...unless there's a new wave of kvlt bands that's just appeared?)...then I got a few more albums and realised that Heavy Metal...was just that, Heavy Metal! And for the most part I have been happy ever since :)

Ayeka said:
pop-culture influences had made me think all Heavy Metal was like Moonblood/Nargaroth/Gestapo SS/Kristallnacht/Akista/Goatvomit/.....then I got a few more albums and realised that Heavy Metal...was just that, Heavy Metal! And for the most part I have been happy ever since :)
You realize that if everybody had an open mind like you and liked ALL music for what it was, the world would be a better place. Or at least UM would be a better place anyway.

Aside from my non-metal CDs, I love the fact that my metal CD collection consists of every genre imaginable (as far as I know), and depending on the mood / day, I have a good choice in what to put on.

The last thing I would ever want is a CD collection with just 1-2 genres. It would get stale very quick.

Sorath said:
My CD collection basically consists of A) Black Metal, and B) Thrash Metal. That and very little death metal thrown in. And I'm not bored yet.
That's because you're 17 years old. Wait until you're 33 and then we'll talk.

My entire collection consists of metal of some sort. That's black, death, doom, stoner, noise, hardcore, metalcore, noisecore, industrial, etc. and I'm not bored at all. I rarely journey outside of metal because what I find just doesn't compare.

A lot of people can't understand how someone can listen to only metal. Do they realize that metal encompasses so much, and more types of metal are being created daily? We all consider ourselves to be knowledgeable about metal, but there is probably a lot of stuff out there we don't even know exists.

JayKeeley said:
You realize that if everybody had an open mind like you and liked ALL music for what it was, the world would be a better place. Or at least UM would be a better place anyway.
:oops: I'm all red now...

A lot of people can't understand how someone can listen to only metal. Do they realize that metal encompasses so much, and more types of metal are being created daily? We all consider ourselves to be knowledgeable about metal, but there is probably a lot of stuff out there we don't even know exists.
I find myself telling my friends this a few times. It's why Metal reigns uber alles :cool:

@npearce: Yes, I was 16 in 1984 and I am in fact 35 now - there´s nothing I can do about it. But it´s not illegal, is it? Or is there an age limit for people posting on U.M.?

I didn't know you ever posted here? Was this the last time? I wouldn't blame you for leaving after that cluster that followed your post. :lol:

Actually, I'm 18 since December 22, but I'm still not bored :)
I'll get back to you when I turn 33, then.

Well?

Since I was 12 years old. My first bands were just some shitty gothic metal stuff, like Theatres des Vampires, Flowing Tears, Project Hate Mcmxcix, Green Carnation, Evergrey, Sentenced, Beseech.

That was 12. Now that I’m older, I listen to a lot of different shit. But I have always been listening.

I didn't know you ever posted here? Was this the last time? I wouldn't blame you for leaving after that cluster that followed your post. :lol:
No, it wasn't the last time - though the last time might have followed not long after this - and I didn't leave because of what followed my post in this topic.

Since I was 12 years old. My first bands were just some shitty gothic metal stuff, like Theatres des Vampires, Flowing Tears, Project Hate Mcmxcix, Green Carnation, Evergrey, Sentenced, Beseech.

That was 12. Now that I’m older, I listen to a lot of different shit. But I have always been listening.

That's not bad for a 12 year old tbh.

Increased the death metal section and the traditional heavy metal sections but black metal is still my favez <3<3<3

And I am 36 now, sorry for the late reply.

I don't see the correlation between getting older and listening to less Metal. Even among some Metal artists there's this mentality that Metal is somehow juvenile and as you get older and more "sophisticated" you go over to some non-metal genre. I also listen almost exclusively to Metal and I'm quite content with the diversity that exists within Metal. I could do with it alone if I had to.

No, it wasn't the last time - though the last time might have followed not long after this - and I didn't leave because of what followed my post in this topic.

Ooooo I'm intrigued.

A bit over 24 years now. I was 13, shy and awkward and not adventurous when it came to visiting music stores. Making a few lame purchases hadn't helped. Metal was a smaller niche here back then and I don't remember noticing dedicated metal sections anyway. Then classmates told me about Metallica when Reload was coming out soon and it was the first time it even crossed my mind to try a different radio station other than the usual pop one. Funnily enough the hard rock station I switched to was shutting down in 2 weeks. I don't recall what I heard on there, except for an advertisement for Reload with a snippet of Fuel. Even just hearing that I think I kinda knew it was for me straight away. The heaviest I'd heard beforehand was probably other classmates playing Alice in Chains or Tool. Reload is very AiC influenced of course, but I think I found Metallica's much more polished sound easier to get into.

I was collecting Metallica's albums gradually so they were practically still the only metal band I knew and listened to 2 years later when mp3s exploded in popularity. I got into Napster and started downloading NWOBHM and the originals to songs Metallica had covered and more. That was probably the crossing point where I figured out what my favourite genre was, even though I was getting into punk and other things too.

That's not bad for a 12 year old tbh.

I’m 29 now, and don’t listen to that stuff much anymore, but when I do, tears come to my eyes. So much nostalgia.

But these days, I’m not really niche- any metal is fair game.

A long time. Im 44. My 1st cd was Metallicas black album in '92...?

1st cassette was Van Halens 1984

Always been into the heavy

I started off with basic shit like Linkin Park, Staind, System of a Down, Nightwish etc when I was like 13 (around 2000), and when I started High School (around 15-16 y.o here in Sweden) I discovered Dimmu Borgir, In Flames and Opeth (this was a huge one). Shortly after that it was Cryptopsy, Nile and Bloodbath and things went quickly "downhill" from there :D

Reactions: DarkGift