How long have you been listening to metal?

LEJ

Stargazer
Jun 3, 2001
Italy
Visit site
I know everyone here likes, loves, breathes metal.:loco:
Now I ask you: when did you listen to metal for the first time?
I've been listening to metal for ten years and my first album was '...and justice for all'.

:heh:

I actually got hooked on nin *hide* in the mid 90s, and eventually heard Cradle of Filth in 97. The first album I bought must have been a cradle album, or an Old Man's Child album, I think. Still like OMC, don't listen to Cradle much, but I've redeemed myself by being devout to Opeth.

Hallelujah! I have been saved!

I only started seriously listening back in 1991, When my Dad got Alice Cooper's Hey Stoopid. I had listened to Trash a little before that, and was listening to his Special forces Album for as long as I can remember. But Hey Stoopid caused everything else to take hold. It's all about "Dangerous Tonight" and "Hurricane Years". They still kick my ass!

Probably about 5 years. It was when a buddy played me "Supercharger Heaven" by White Zombie and ...ugh... "King Nothing" off of Load that made me stop and think "Hey...this heavy metal stuff can be good!". I was 14, I knew little. Since then, I've just sort of progressed in terms of taste.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Probably about 5 years. It was when a buddy played me "Supercharger Heaven" by White Zombie and ...ugh... "King Nothing" off of Load that made me stop and think "Hey...this heavy metal stuff can be good!". I was 14, I knew little. Since then, I've just sort of progressed in terms of taste.

I'd hope so, King Nothing was a horrid song!! Old Metallica was excellent, however!!

I started with Alice Cooper's album "Trash" and a couple of Guns'n'Roses-songs, when I was 11 or 12. So that makes about 9 years. Pretty soon I also got into Iron Maiden (nowadays I try to avoid) and Helloween, which was a real stunner.

once upon a time (1997 i think), i was idley watching MTV when Metallica's video for "The Unforgiven II" came up, "The Memory Remains" was playing for a while and i liked it, but when i heard "The Unforgiven II" i was totally blown away! i practically ran and bought ReLoad, after a while i got Master Of Puppets and my whole world changed... some time near the end of the year 2000 (sometime in the neighborhood of October i think) i downloaded Nectar off of napster, and my whole musical world changed once again.

Now I ask you: when did you listen to metal for the first time?

That would have been back in '95, so six years ago. I was listening to the Mortal Kombat: Soundtrack :rolleyes:, and suddenly the ferocity of the drumming behind Fear Factory's "Zero Signal" pervaded my senses. I quickly realized the power of such non-stop rhythmic beats, and purchased their 'Demanufacture' album. From there I expanded my metal horizons till I was turned to the Gothenburg scene early last year. From there it was only a matter of time before Opeth wound up in the cd player, thanks to the continual recommendations from metal sites...

I had heard some metal here and there (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. - you know all that late 80's stuff), but the first metal album I bought was "Tales from the Thousand Lakes" of Amorphis (around '94 or '95) and soon after the first album that REALLY blew my mind away was Dark Tranquillity's "The Gallery". Then I finally understood, what I was missing in my life and ever since I have listened to good music, Opeth included.

-Villain

The first time I heard metal was 15-6 years ago. It was some song from IM's 'Somewhere in time'. At that time I didn't pay so much attention to music. I admit I was quite amused, but not so impressed, yet.
Metal came into my life some years later... and came to stay...

i am almost scared to say this, since most of you draw your roots from maiden and old-school metallica, but i'm a relative newbie to the metal scene, starting in about 1997. before that, i was a michael jackson fan for most of my life. however, i bought Orgy's debut album, and that changed my perceptions. of course, Orgy in the grand scheme of things is chickenshit, but at that time, it was very hard. From there, i was introduced to Nine Inch Nails and i got a greater appeciation for technicality and musical/lyrical depth. Then one day, I bought Century Media's Identity Five (featuring "When" as track 17) and my life changed forever.

Like most born again converts, I love metal with a passion.... I hope that redeeming enough.

Wow I wonder how I missed this thread.

I have no clue how long it has been, probably around 4 or 5 years. I got NIN-Pretty Hate Machine, and Pantera-CFH together and I guess that started me off in the right direction to where I finally found the hidden treasure of all music which is Opeth.

Having two older brothers (one 7 years older, one 10 years older) into Rock like Sabbath, Deep Purple, Status Quo, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, etc, then I really didn't have much choice about the music I grew up with.

It was the early 80's when I started finding bands for myself and I left them both behind. They carried on listening to the old stuff (still do, though they've ventured as far as Metallica, etc) and I discovered Venom and never looked back :)