How long have you been into Metal?

I was always interested in rebellious stuff. So naturally, living in a TINY town in Kansas, I was interested in heavy metal. I even remember being interested in metal in 3rd grade. Finally my mom let me by Motley Crue when I was around 11. A short time later I bought Metallica 'And Justice for All' and 'Master of Puppets'. Those albums completely hooked me. So we'll say I've listened to metal for around 15 years now.

When I was 3 my mom's friend made me a tape with Suicidal Tendencies, Jesus and Mary Chain, and the Vandals. Not exactly metal, but this got me on the path to aggressive music.

When I was 6 I bought Twisted Sister - Come Out and Play on tape from Target, I had $4 and felt very empowered. :D

But it wasn't until I was 12 when I saw Metallica play Enter Sandman on some MTV award show crap that made me fall in love with the genre.

So 21, 18, or 12 years, depending on how you look at it (notice those are typical ages of single malt scotch :Smokedev: ).

Came to the US in 1984 and the first friend I made, got me listening to Twisted Sister, then I got into Maiden .. then Metallica.

And then one faithful day in 1985, saw Possessed - Seven Churches on a record store shelf and it has been all downhill from there :)

So around 20 years now .. damn I feel old!

Some Heavy Metal veterans eh? I forgot to post about myself so here we go. The first true metal cd I bought was this past May with Opeth's Deliverance. The song Master's Apprentices had entranced me and before this time the heaviest thing I was listening to was probably Nirvana. Music wasn't something that was real big to me and I paid very little attention to it until Opeth slapped me in the face and woke me up to a whole new world of amazing music. So that would be about 6 months for me then? :lol: A year if you want to count Mudvayne and whatnot as real metal. So yes, I'm pretty much a metal newb compared to you guys but I'm happy with my progression. Listening to Emperor, Nile and Darkthrone in 6 months? I know guys that have been listening to nu-metal for a couple years and can't get past it so I guess I'm doing alright. :Spin:

I heard my first metal record when I was in the first grade back in 89. It was by a Finnish thrash band Stone. Later that year my dad bought me Metallica's AJFA. Before that I'd been listening mostly to whatever mi dad liked, id est classic rock.

Was always into rock n roll when I was a kid. Stuff like old Van Halen was great. My first CD ever bought was Metallica's Black Album back in 1992. Then I bought the older stuff, then got into Megadeth, and now here we are 12 years later.

A little over two years, so I was 13. I had been listening to nu-metal for a while, but found melodic death metal through Maria's show on Totalrock. The first metal CD I got was In Flames - Clayman, I think.

Def Leppard Hysteria got me into rock which later progressed me into Metal. Motley Crue Dr Feelgood, GnR Appetite, and Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet, got me on the road to heavier Rock(metal)

Megadeth RIP, Metallica AJFA and Pantera VDOP got me into the more aggressive metal.

After High School didn't have time or money to explore new music and lost my way. Annihilator's CFABW hooked me back in and In Flames Colony got me into Melodic Death:D

So off and on for the last 14 years.

The first metal(-related) album I bought was Megadeth's Cryptic Writings , then I bought Rust In Peace and Metallica's Ride/Master . Not so old .

I used to listen to hair metal when I was a little kid (Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard) and used to tune in to rock stations a lot. I think the first metal I bought was Master Of Puppets and I was floored when I heard the title track, those guitar harmonies in the middle made me drool, hehe. It's been almost 10 years since my first experience with metal, but i've only been listening to metal seriously for about 5 or 6 years.

I started listening to Metallica when I was 10 or 11, got Dimmu Borgir's first at 13 or 14, got one of their later works, got some Marduk, got damned.

I guess it depends on what you call metal. It was definitely something that evolved. From Motley Crue and Ozzy in the mid 80s, then I really got into WASP. By my definition of metal, I would probably say 1987 (13 years old), when I first heard Maiden (Live After Death). That morphed into Metallica, which morphed into Slayer, etc etc.

Way back in June 1984, when I was already 16, the first metal album I bought was Lita Ford´s "Dancin´On The Edge". The next step was Metallica´s "Ride The Lightning" which I got on Christmas 1984. Some weeks before I had heard "Fight Fire With Fire" on the "Monday Rock Show" on BFBS and I was like "This is so fucking great! I´ve got to have their album!" I think I listened to "Ride The Lightning" nearly each day for more than a year and "R.T.L." actually is the only Metallica album I still listen to nowadays, though very rarely. From 1984 until 1989, I listened nearly exclusively to heavy metal (bands like Megadeth, Fates Warning, Overkill, Anthrax, Flotsam & Jetsam, Testament, Mekong Delta, Helloween, Helstar, Hades, Anacrusis, Hexenhaus, Agent Steel, Détente, Sieges Even, Death, Forbidden, Metal Church, Holy Moses, Warlock, Candlemass, Chastain, Voivod, Death Angel, Watchtower, Toxik - the "big" names never impressed me much).

In 1990 I "discovered" Kate Bush and through her music Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares (now know as The Bulgarian Voices "Angelite"). Since that time I gradually got into more and more non-metal stuff (no, I won´t bore you with any names here), while the number of new metal releases that I bought steadily decreased. My taste in music has in fact changed and widened over the years. There are still several old metal albums that I like to listen to, though not as often as I once used to, but there are also quite a lot of metal albums/bands I´ve entirely lost my interest in and to which I haven´t listened for years or maybe even more than a decade now. During the last 5 years, I haven´t bought more than 2 or 3 new metal albums per year. At least most of the stuff I get to hear on those CD-samplers accompanying most metal magazines either annoys or just bores me. And if I find a song which is good in my opinion, I´ll usually find a better one on one of the albums I already own, and why should I spend money on a good "copy" when I have already got a better "original"? Maybe things would be different if I was new to metal and didn´t know about the "classics" from the eighties/early nineties - I don´t know. The only new metal releases that really impressed me in the last two years and that I really do love - probably because to my ears they don´t sound like the copy of a copy of a copy of... - are the - at R.C. heartily hated :D - "Deadlands" by Madder Mortem and "Terrestrials" and "Orgasm" by Atrox.

Sorry, my answer has become a bit long.:D

Burkhard said:
The only new metal releases that really impressed me in the last two years and that I really do love - probably because to my ears they don´t sound like the copy of a copy of a copy of... - are the - at R.C. heartily hated :D - "Deadlands" by Madder Mortem...
Ever heard Siouxie and the Banshees? :D