Recommended political books

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
In this thread you can recommend political commentary books that you think are good, and that you think other people will like. Here are some of my recommendations:

The O'Reilly Factor, The No Spin Zone, and Who's Looking Out for You all by Bill O'Reilly. Say what you want about O'Reilly, he makes some exelent points in theise books, especially in The No Spin Zone.

Let Freedom Ring and Deliver Us from Evil by Sean Hannity.
Unfit for Command by John O'Neill

List some other good books.

I usually dont get enough quiet time to sit and read, my quite time consists of recording riffs for the band and listening to my girl whine I dont pay enough attention to her :tickled:

It's old, but Rush Limbaugh's 'See, I Told You So' is still very true and very applicable to our current condition. His 'The Way Things Ought to Be' is good too.

Bill O' Reilly, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Neil Cavuto, Wayne LaPierre, and Joe Scarborough are awesome too.

They're not strictly political, but you might also read CS Lewis' nonfiction (Mere Christianity, The Four Loves, God in the Dock, The Screwtape Letters, etc.) because he's very insightful regarding Christian philosophy. I don't know if that's your bag but the New Testament is where I try to derive most of my political views.

I've also read two of Michael Moore's books. I'm not proud of it, but it does offer a glimpse into the vile leftist mindset.

A good place to find political books is www.conservativebookclub.com

Hope that helped!

God bless,
Sepsis

Had Enough by James Carville
Offers a glimpse into the mindset of the vile right to quote Sepsis. Sorry to sound like a dick but I am just really getting tired of all the jabs to democrats.

What does the NT say about the UN?

The NT doesn't say anything directly about the UN (It's roughly 1840 years early, I'm afraid) but it is my opinion that the UN is a corrupt organization dominated by greedy, brutal, dishonest tin-pot dictators who have no concern for anything but their own power. The NT admonishes us to not be greedy, brutal, dishonest, and to have concern for our fellow man.
I really ought not have said I derive my political views from the NT. Sorry. I try to apply its moral teachings to whatever situation I face. Perhaps that's a better way of putting it.

God bless,
Sepsis

PS I'm sorry if this post looks all apeshit. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to using that quote button. It doesn't show any quote tags.

Sepsis said:
I really ought not have said I derive my political views from the NT. Sorry. I try to apply its moral teachings to whatever situation I face. Perhaps that's a better way of putting it.

I understand, I was making a little point, but I think you´re right in that religion and politics/lawmaking have a bonding. Religion and tradition decides the moral values and the law is the moral values put into practical use... something like that! :)

I understand, I was making a little point, but I think you´re right in that religion and politics/lawmaking have a bonding. Religion and tradition decides the moral values and the law is the moral values put into practical use... something like that!
Exactly! You put that far better than I ever could have. Thanks very much sir.

welcome to the board Sepsis and read the rules of engagement please.
have fun
OMG Thank you for welcoming me Mr. Milano! Your perspective is refreshing in an industry where every band there is seems to feel like they have to release an anti-Bush album to have any credibility (A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, NOFX, etc.). And your music is badass as well. I have read the rules of engagement and I will take it upon myself to uphold them.

God bless,
Sepsis

No problem! Even us liberals here are ok guys really! So my english was understandable... KEWL!
I haven't got any problems with liberals, or anyone who disagrees with me, for that matter. My best friend in the world is a hard-core atheist Bush-hater (curiously, we agree about everything else). Most of my other friends are too, with varying degrees of religiosity. Come to think of it, I'm alone on the religious right in my circle of friends!
I'm sorry if I come of as thinking liberals are bad people. It comes from my sense of humor. I'll call my friends pinkos and shit and they'll say Ronald Reagan wasn't a real president :yuk: I don't hate anyone (back to the ol' NT), and I don't think that liberals are anti-progress or something, I just think they're wrong. I'm wrong a lot too. That's why I try to keep an open mind and why I just checked out Bill Clinton's new book and why I read as much as I can.
But anyway, your English is very understandable, and actually much better than most of my peers' English :loco: ! From where do you hail?

God Bless,
Sepsis

Sepsis said:
But anyway, your English is very understandable, and actually much better than most of my peers' English :loco: ! From where do you hail?

God Bless,
Sepsis

Sweden. Yeah, I guess most of the people I hang with are conservative or neo-liberals and some religious. It´s funny really... I´m neither very political or spritiual so people often say "Damn... you are a humansit-leftist-liberal? But... you sound so normal...", I love that reaction. I don´t read any political books myself but if one is going to I think it´s better to read "the other sides" books, it gives one more to think about... reading something that appeals to ones political views is like incest or it´s just there to make you feel good.

Oh.. btw... I didn´t mean you have a problem with lefties, I even don´t consider myself "leftist" really so I didn´t take any offense. :)

Sweden. Yeah, I guess most of the people I hang with are conservative or neo-liberals and some religious. It´s funny really... I´m neither very political or spritiual so people often say "Damn... you are a humansit-leftist-liberal? But... you sound so normal...", I love that reaction. I don´t read any political books myself but if one is going to I think it´s better to read "the other sides" books, it gives one more to think about... reading something that appeals to ones political views is like incest or it´s just there to make you feel good.

Oh.. btw... I didn´t mean you have a problem with lefties, I even don´t consider myself "leftist" really so I didn´t take any offense.

Sweden, eh? That's where Thyrfing comes from, and that's not half bad. I must compliment you again on your English.
You sound reminiscent of one of my friends. He considers himself apolitical and not very religious, but he is really quite the leftist.
I agree that reading books that appeal to one's own views is like incest, but sometimes that's what I really want. :puke: But sometimes I'll learn something new or have one of my own views debunked (I have some liberal views myself). I used to be more into opinion, but now I read just news. Without all the superfluous crap.
OMG THIS IS A POLITICAL BOOKS THREAD WTF AM I THIKNING
Right now I'm reading... Nothing political really; CS Lewis' 'Mere Christianity,' 'The Confessions of St. Augustine,' and 'Sagas of the Norsemen.'

God bless,
Sepsis

Hey Cryptkeeper!
Thanks for the welcome. I love O'Reilly and Hannity. My favorite O'Reilly book is 'Who's Looking Out For You?' but all three of them (not counting 'Those Who Trespass' - I haven't read it.) are very good. As for other opinions I sometimes visit www.townhall.com, because they have commentary by frigg'n everyone! Ann Coulter, David Limbaugh, Neil Cavuto, Brent Bozell, etc. It's an awesome place.

God bless,
Sepsis

PS Your profile says that you're the vocalist for a band called Cryptkeeper. Have you a URL or some MP3s? I'm always on the lookout for awesome bands.

Sepsis said:
Sweden, eh? That's where Thyrfing comes from, and that's not half bad. I must compliment you again on your English.
You sound reminiscent of one of my friends. He considers himself apolitical and not very religious, but he is really quite the leftist.

Yeah, good old Thyrfing, not my cup of vikingamjöd really but they are quite popular (especially in the US it seems). And once again thank you for the compliment on my English. Posting stuff on a forum is a pretty good way of keeping my english-skills alive.

And yeah, maybe I´m a bit like your friend... I dislike the conservatives, communists, neo-liberals and socialdemocrats... but I think I´d fit in best with some sort of left-minded people.

Thyrfing is pretty cool. I probably wouldn't buy any of their CDs but methinks the MP3s at their site are enough. Avant-garde stuff (Ram-Zet, Unexpect, etc.) is more my cup of tea.
I suppose you are quite a bit like my friend.
I'd love to say some more but I've got to be off to work.
God Bless,
Sepsis