Recording 2 guitarist with 1 amp

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Ok I'm about to record my band and I have a peavey ultra plus amp and our other guitarist has a solid state b52 which is just crap:puke:

Anyhow how do you guys go about using one amp for recording 2 guitars. Do you mess with settings and dial up 2 different sounds? Maybe use same sound and then eq differently in daw?

Also any details about eqing differently or maybe how to go about dialing in 2 different sounds like maybe more mids on one tone vs other?

well i added a bit more highs on one tone and i used a tube screamer on one guitar and also a different speaker and Mic position and i got 2 totally different tones. I'm hoping i can make work well and will post some samples when i get vox and bass tracked:headbang:

i've been doing this with a band i'm tracking right now. just change a few settings here and there and you'll be fine. I think more important than having two entirely different sounds is having two different performances. i like to have almost the same sound on each side because, to me, it feels like it ties the guitar sounds together a bit better.

While I haven't tried changing guitar sounds for each take when double tracking, I still wouldn't reccomend it/ I don't like it. I've heard live albums and demo's where the tones are different and IMO it takes away from the "wall of sound" that double tracknig is trying to create. It seems to work a bit more in a live setting, though, because you know that there were actually two guitarists and they aren't always playing the same thing.

Just my two cents

Two different sounds recorded once on each side. Killer!

Thats what i have done so far just 1 take from each guitar and diffrent tones.

Now you guys think i should duplicate each track and maybe like scoop the mids or eq somehow diffrent or something and have 4 tracks total or just stick with 2 tracks?

Now you guys think i should duplicate each track and maybe like scoop the mids or eq somehow diffrent or something and have 4 tracks total or just stick with 2 tracks?

I actually prefer 2 tracks. I did 4 on a song a few months ago just to try it out and it really didn't make a big enough difference to me. But don't just dupe tracks, if your gonna have 4, use for different takes. I'm pretty sure straight copying a track can create some phasing issues - sometimes it can sound cool though.

I actually prefer 2 tracks. I did 4 on a song a few months ago just to try it out and it really didn't make a big enough difference to me. But don't just dupe tracks, if your gonna have 4, use for different takes. I'm pretty sure straight copying a track can create some phasing issues - sometimes it can sound cool though.

Really i thought it would just make it louder??

Anyone want to chime in on this duping tracks and phase issue????

If you dupe the track is dosent have the tonal differences that double tracking gives you (in a good way). I always play another track rather than dupe.

well, duping a track causes the 2 tracks to be 100% in phase causing the phasing issue of making the track louder. It does nothing to the partial or full phasing out of different frequencies.

Two takes, one for each side.
Each take through two settings.
4 tracks total, but just the one performance per side.
And two sounds :)

If that was clear :S

yea thats how i went about it:kickass:

I just recorded my friends engl powerball and it sounds real nice so i think I'm going to retrack my parts with his engl and blend 2 amps for a better tone!