amp choice

Pman

Feb 18, 2006
UK
www.facebook.com
hi
my band will start gigging soon and my guitarist is looking for an amp to gig with and we would also use this to record
we currently use the other guitarists amp which is Peavey Studio Pro II for recording and just rehearsing
but the other guitarist has now decided to purchase a proper amp for gigging
so my question is
what are we looking for?
he is looking for an amp with a cab attached not just a head
would the 5150 be any good live
i saw misery index use them on the fear factory tour and the tone was very very messy live. maybe they just cant get a good setting, who knows
so anyway
whats the suggestions:)

5150 is a killer amp and you can get a great sound out of it. You might have to be a little creative to get a lot of different sounds out it of though and the clean is meh. However, if you don't use a lot of cleans live, and don't need four channels, a 5150 is great! just go direct or something for the cleans in the studio. Also, it's cheap relative to other tube amps.

Pman said:
hi
my band will start gigging soon and my guitarist is looking for an amp to gig with and we would also use this to record
we currently use the other guitarists amp which is Peavey Studio Pro II for recording and just rehearsing
but the other guitarist has now decided to purchase a proper amp for gigging
so my question is
what are we looking for?
he is looking for an amp with a cab attached not just a head
would the 5150 be any good live
i saw misery index use them on the fear factory tour and the tone was very very messy live. maybe they just cant get a good setting, who knows
so anyway
whats the suggestions:)
so you're looking for a combo. 5150 2x12 will do the trick. it can range anywhere from super tight to sloppy depending on the other gear used, the settings, and the player. so don't worry about this amp being messy.

so the popular choice here seems to be the 5150
what about engl powerballs
how do they compare to the 5150
a few people on here have used them for recording and i loved the tone
also when i mean combo i mean like the speaker(cab) and head as one
thanks for the replies so far :headbang:

also i was looking for the 5150 2x12 that carrier flux suggested
but i cant seem to find it anywhere i live in the UK
is that a problem and does anyone know the 'ideal' place to get it
:)

http://www.thomann.de

They ship to the UK and are usually cheaper or even with UK prices. They also usually ship for €15 to anywhere in Europe. They sell the Peavey 6505 2x12 combo which (I think) is the renamed 5150 combo. It says they're out of stock but you could always email them to find out how long it'd take them to get one in. Also...all items are shipped with a European power plug, so you'd have to get down to Maplins to get a UK adapter but that should only set you back a couple of quid.

sparkyness said:
http://www.thomann.de

They ship to the UK and are usually cheaper or even with UK prices. They also usually ship for €15 to anywhere in Europe. They sell the Peavey 6505 2x12 combo which (I think) is the renamed 5150 combo. It says they're out of stock but you could always email them to find out how long it'd take them to get one in. Also...all items are shipped with a European power plug, so you'd have to get down to Maplins to get a UK adapter but that should only set you back a couple of quid.
thank for the info sparky!:kickass:

Pman said:
haha i ask this after seeing misery index live with the 5150
and the sound was horrible:erk:
some other guy on the forum made a threat about it
the best live sound I've ever heard was some unknown local band with two 5150's. and I don't even LIKE 5150s ;)

zmetallica said:
yeah in my experience 5150s are good for giging, but not great in the studio/rehearsal. I'd save my money for something really worth it if you are planning on getting a head/cab.

Well in andy's and a helluva lot of other people, the 5150 does a great job when it comes to recording.