Tax return time! Thinking about a new amp..

JMarz

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2008
Minnesota, US
www.facebook.com
Getting exactly 944$ for my 2008 tax return on/around the 20th, I'm really digging all these 5150/mesa tones I'm hearing. I dunno, I'm just looking for some suggestions for a decent metal amp within that budget, ebay's fine.

Thanks!

~Jess

It will DEFINITELY be loud enough for live, trust me on that :) Though it also weighs like 85 pounds with no side-handles :erk: Be sure to invest in some casters!

:erk: Be sure to invest in some casters!
Or people to carry it for you :oops:.

Krank rev jr. and Orange TT are in your price range. Maybe you could get an avatar cab with one of those. Not that that would be better than the 5150 combo, just saying.

I'm leaning more towards the 5150 combo, but I heard they're infamous for, if you look at the fuckers wrong they explode and cause a black hole (not very reliable :p) also, watching a youtube video of a Randall Archetype V2.. So far I am FUCKING impressed. Anybody have any dirt on those?

Dunno about the Randall, though I'd imagine it'd be better live than recorded. And I've never heard anything bad about the reliability of 5150 combos, mine was great for the 3 years I owned it (I bought it used), then sold it to my roommate who had it for 1 1/2 years with no problems! And they definitely don't come stock with casters, trust me! And personally, I would MUCH rather have a Rev Jr. or Tiny Terror than a 5150.

I don't recommend the 5150 combo, go for the head if you can. The peavey cabs and the stock speakers are nowhere near as good as any competing cab with v30s. Even a Behringer cab with v30s will do a better job with the 5150 head than the peavey cab.

I was gonna get a MESA OS 4x12 anyway and load them with v30's with the extra money I had left over, adding it onto the combo (combo was/is 550$.) I'm just an impatient son of a bitch and I can't find any actual 5150 heads in my area :p. Maybe it'll all change come the 20th, I'm still pondering about the Krank Rev JR Pro.. Doesn't sound like it has enough 'balls' to the tone for me from the clips I've heard (those crisp, but not fizzy mid-highs I love so much.)

Does the US tax people based on calendar year, rather than financial year? Or are they just really late at giving out the tax returns?

Calendar year, but our tax forms aren't due until April 15th- the earlier you file the earlier you get any return though. I got my check about a week and a half ago already. Still waiting for stupid Pennsylvania to start accepting PA tax returns though....stupid state....

Calendar year, but our tax forms aren't due until April 15th- the earlier you file the earlier you get any return though. I got my check about a week and a half ago already. Still waiting for stupid Pennsylvania to start accepting PA tax returns though....stupid state....

Does your entire state suck then? When I visited I couldn't find beer anywhere other than a bar or buying a fuck ton of it at a "beer store" or whatever they are called. Lamest laws ever guy. :lol::puke:

Does the US tax people based on calendar year, rather than financial year? Or are they just really late at giving out the tax returns?

taxes are based on calendar year, but employers don't have to(and often don't) send out the necessary forms until feb. 1st

then you have to file your shit...then the IRS has to process it and return your payment

if you're like me, and you e-file with your return being direct deposited, it takes about a week. if you go all paper, you're looking at 6-8 weeks from the date you send it in, which like previously stated can be as late as 4/15...but i think really only people who owe bother messing with it that late.