Thinking about starting a huge guitar cab/speaker impulse project, looking for sugg..

cancerconspiracy

New Metal Member
Jun 10, 2007
Hi everyone! This is a repost from the Production tips forum, but I think I will get a bit more feedback out here (so apologies for the double post!)

I have recently been using some really great impulse files from GuitarHack and it has me thinking about undertaking a massive project to expand a bit on his work with guitar cab impulses. My idea is to make a large library (that I will share of course!) of a number of different setups, with the idea being to have a large variety of great sounds/gear beyond what is currently available. I am looking for suggestions/requests, and to see how much interest there is in this.

Some specifics on what I am currently thinking
The basic idea is that I am going to get a collection of great gear for a very short period of time (as in over the course of say two weeks), make all the impulses, and turn around and return(MF 45 day return!)/sell off what I collected, hence costing me as little as possible

Currently I have a Bogner OS 2x12, loaded with a nicely broken in H30 and v30. For guitar oriented mics I have some 57s, audix d3s, and an e609. Preamps and converters I have my trusty soundcraft board and a MOTU 24i/PCI-324.

My plan is to pick up some nice older celestions (pre rola blackbacks/greenbacks or maybe some scumbacks, perhaps some g12-65s), a mesa/celestion mc-90/cl-80, maybe one of those 200watt EVs. In terms of mics, I was going to grab a 421, neumann tlm-193, earthworks tc-30k (used to have a pair, really nice on guitars) and maybe some form of ribbon mic. I am not certain what I am going to pick up for a pre, was thinking maybe the Great River Mercenary edition, maybe some Neve clone, or anyting under $3k from musicians friend. Would probably pickup some for of converter as well as my current rig is only 96kHz, not 192.

So, in conclusion I am interested to hear your thoughts/ideas/requests. In particular I am interested in suggestions for mic pres, and then anything after that would be great! Since GuitarHack already has a killer series with V30s I probably won`t focus too much on them (although I will do the other mics with them). Since I am in the process of moving it probably won`t be until August or so before I can get to this, but I want to start planning now. Sorry for the long post!

Hi everyone! This is a repost from the Production tips forum, but I think I will get a bit more feedback out here (so apologies for the double post!)

I have recently been using some really great impulse files from GuitarHack and it has me thinking about undertaking a massive project to expand a bit on his work with guitar cab impulses. My idea is to make a large library (that I will share of course!) of a number of different setups, with the idea being to have a large variety of great sounds/gear beyond what is currently available. I am looking for suggestions/requests, and to see how much interest there is in this.

Some specifics on what I am currently thinking
The basic idea is that I am going to get a collection of great gear for a very short period of time (as in over the course of say two weeks), make all the impulses, and turn around and return(MF 45 day return!)/sell off what I collected, hence costing me as little as possible

Currently I have a Bogner OS 2x12, loaded with a nicely broken in H30 and v30. For guitar oriented mics I have some 57s, audix d3s, and an e609. Preamps and converters I have my trusty soundcraft board and a MOTU 24i/PCI-324.

My plan is to pick up some nice older celestions (pre rola blackbacks/greenbacks or maybe some scumbacks, perhaps some g12-65s), a mesa/celestion mc-90/cl-80, maybe one of those 200watt EVs. In terms of mics, I was going to grab a 421, neumann tlm-193, earthworks tc-30k (used to have a pair, really nice on guitars) and maybe some form of ribbon mic. I am not certain what I am going to pick up for a pre, was thinking maybe the Great River Mercenary edition, maybe some Neve clone, or anyting under $3k from musicians friend. Would probably pickup some for of converter as well as my current rig is only 96kHz, not 192.

So, in conclusion I am interested to hear your thoughts/ideas/requests. In particular I am interested in suggestions for mic pres, and then anything after that would be great! Since GuitarHack already has a killer series with V30s I probably won`t focus too much on them (although I will do the other mics with them). Since I am in the process of moving it probably won`t be until August or so before I can get to this, but I want to start planning now. Sorry for the long post!
The Great River is a killer idea but I think a lot of people, inculding myself, would appreciate if you'd consider an API 3124 or a Cranesong Flamingo :headbang:

Good luck man!

Actually The API A2D has converters built in. I wonder how it sounds

The Great River is a killer idea but I think a lot of people, inculding myself, would appreciate if you'd consider an API 3124 or a Cranesong Flamingo :headbang:

Good luck man!

Actually The API A2D has converters built in. I wonder how it sounds

Thanks for the input. My only requirements for gear are that I can either A: purchase them with some form of extended return policy (i.e., MF 45 day return), or B: that they are prevalent enough used that I can buy it used and have little trouble selling it used for close to what I paid for it (with a quick turnaround!).

In the end, if this ends up costing me a couple hundred I don`t really mind becuase I think the end result will be worth it. But, at the same time, I am a broke ass grad student and can`t realistically afford to purchase a dedicated $3k or $4k single channel mic pre at this time so I need to avoid potentially putting myself in that type of situation. Total bedroom warrior at this point in time:lol:

Thanks again for the input!