Thinking about a band/project name for my stuff..

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Hey

I've been thinking on and off for many months now and every single name I come up with feels gay/sucky/goofy/whatever. And when I do get a name I sort of like and ask close friends about what they think, THEY think it's gay instead. So it's like... the hardest thing I've tried to do in my life :)

Starting off with my initial idea, I wanted a name that had a deep meaning behind it. A few months ago I was pretty wounded because of a dudette (naaaw, poor me) and I thought like "Hey, I can't let her - let this - affect me this much, I have to keep going on and marching through every obstacle that's in my way until I've made my way out of this mess". I realized I wanted a name that described that feeling/thought of carrying on. I started making a metaphor and came up with "Swampmarch" even though the word swamp isn't very pretty, it does the job - marching through a swamp isn't easy and that's exactly my point. People thought the whole thing was gay.

So I've been thinking hard the last few days and thought "Maybe I should just pick a name without any particular reason or meaning". At the same time though, I don't want a genre-specific name that indicates I'm playing the bruutz but rather something "unique" that just simply works. At work yesterday, I was minding my business at one of the rides in the theme park, standing over the controls and watching the people in the ride going round and round in circles many times before the ride finally stops. The word "Recycle" popped into my mind and from that I spawned "Recircle" simply because they go round in circles in repetition. On the display it also says "End Cycle" when the ride is done. This is interesting and I can weave a bit of my "philosophy" into these names if I want - "End Cycle" could stand for ending all the bad cycles (bad habits f.ex.) in your life.

Then I got into this whole space theme and thought about the universe and shit. I have a way of thinking which is that no one can prove the existance of another person's mind. This could essentially mean that this whole universe is mine and when I die, it disappears with me and that everyone have their own universe. It's a fun thought to toy with. Anyway, this spawned the name "Endoverse" since "Endo" means like "produced within the body" (in medicine f.ex.), so "Endoverse" basically means "The Universe Within". Voila, a new name and it has my "philosophy" weaved into it. I control my life and my universe - I'm my own limit and nothing else.

Then I went back to the whole "march" thing and just thought I should find something other than "swamp" to put infront of it. I thought "Hey, why not just put "Re" infront of it?". "Remarch" or "Rewalk". It could mean that if you're marching/walking down the path of life and you fall down, you get back up and keep going, you redo. Then I looked at some synonyms for "swamp" and thought of "Fenmarch", "Fenwalk", "Miremarch", "Mirewalk", and so on.

Now I'm spinning between all of the names I've mentioned here and if all of them are gay... what's not gay? :)

Endoverse FTW dude!

Also along the lines of "recircle":
"Resurface"
"Resurface the/ from XXXXX"

My only rule for band names is not to put an adjective and noun or two irrelevant words together. Done to death and often doesn't mean much in relation to the music- Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Evergrey, In flames, etc.

Endoverse is the only thing that doesn't sound completely crappy to me, sorry.

And I still think it doesn't sound good enough. Good brand- and bandnames often have certain syllablecounts and a sound that flows/rhymes within the word. Like "Coca Cola" or in my case "Faderhead". There are many more examples that I just can't think of atm.

I don't really have good advice, but the bandname is one of the most important "first impressions" you have of a band - so logically it's one of the hardest to choose.

Why don't you use the word marsh instead of swamp? Sounds better to me, for example "Marshwalker" or maybe you wanna go for a longer "Trembling through marshes" or "Scorching through marshes" i'm just making stuff up here

SLOAN TO THE RESCUE:

LESBIAN EYES
UPPERS & DOWNERS
LICKFORCE 20K
TITTAT
WU TANG KLAN KLUX
NIPDRIP
JOIN CUMFILLEDBOYS.COM FOR ONLY $1
SHAT SHAT SHAT
ZOINKS: THE BAND
PASSION PARTY
I THINK WE'RE PREGNANT
SK8RAPE
D8-RAPE
APERAPE
KRANK SINATRO
AMY'S COOCH
VELOURFUNGI
LEAD ZEBRA
BUCKET
SELLIN' WIGS MADE OF PUBES ON EBAY
TRIPPIN ON SOME GODDAMN GET HIGH
FEAST OF WHORES
SLUTNUGGET
MAJOR LEAGUE CHEW CREW
CROTCHMULLET
THE BEARDS OF GOD
EST 1867
YOUR SISTER LOVES MY DONG
WAIT, OK, NOW.
SNAKES I HAET SNAKE
DESTINY'S CHILDREN
DUCK DUCK FUCK YOU GOOSE
AIN'T GIVE NO SHIT
STRAP ON
KILLDO
CHATTROCK IS DICKBUTS
NAZI PARTY
PIZZA X-TREME
RECTALCHEESE
CORAL REEF

Why don't you use the word marsh instead of swamp? Sounds better to me, for example "Marshwalker" or maybe you wanna go for a longer "Trembling through marshes" or "Scorching through marshes" i'm just making stuff up here

"Marshmarch"? got a good flow :lol: haha

I like the thought about the whole swamp walk thing though!
I'd try to write down words releted to it and then combine them randomly until it sounds/looks good to you :headbang:

"Endoverse" sounded ok, but it allready exists...how about "Erdoverse" ?;)
Or you go the so "gay-ts-allready-cool" way:
Erkanator, Erkanhilator,Erkanica, Erkanium....
not beeing very helpful am I? :lol: sorry :cry:

what's not gay? :)

your real name (or a derivate of it). as it's the only one you have to live with anyway.
everything else will be outdated, disliked at one point or another.
if you want to establish yourself as an artist (and not just founding a band/project that is limited in existence anyway in most cases) it's the only choice, IMO.
or at least connect it with your project from the beginning somehow.

26 cents....

^ use an anagramm and make it Ray Godlysill :zombie:

or Ryli Godsylla. more memorable.

Don't use Erkan! You will totally lose the (big) German market cause Erkan is the name of a very famous, very silly faux-turkish comedian (part of the duo Erkan & Stefan).

I can't think of anyone who doesn't associate that name with the guy ...

359y13s.jpg

It's the dude on the right!!! :D